DonLever

Members
  • Content count

    2,838
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

920 Esteemed

About DonLever

  • Rank
    Canucks Regular

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male

Recent Profile Visitors

12,072 profile views
  1. UFO was a British TV show filmed in the UK but broadcast in North America in the mid-70's. So it won't qualify for the YouTube Encore Channel which is for shows with Canadian Content, ie. Made in Canada or produced in Canada, or funded with Canadian dollars. UFO came out in DVD few years ago and I have a copy of it.
  2. Mass Arrests in Saudi Arabia

    Its not "mass" arrests. I thought title of the thread referred to the mass arrests of the general population. Rather it looks like another power struggle in Saudi Arabia where the current Crown Prince getting rid of rivals under the guise of anti-corruption.
  3. Lastest accusations are against director Brett Ratner and Dustin Hoffman. http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/brett-ratner-harassment-1.4381788 Six women, including actresses Natasha Henstridge and Olivia Munn, have accused film director Brett Ratner of sexual harassment or misconduct in a Los Angeles Times report. Representatives for Ratner didn't immediately respond to queries Wednesday, but through his attorney Martin Singer, Ratner strongly denied the allegations to the Times. Ratner directed the Rush Hour film series, Red Dragon, X-Men: The Last Stand and Tower Heist. More recently, his production company RatPac Entertainment has co-financed major Warner. Bros. films, including Wonder Woman. In the Times article, Henstridge accuses the high-profile Hollywood director and producer of forcing her to perform oral sex on him during an alleged incident in his New York apartment in the early 1990s, when she was a 19-year-old model and had attended a gathering there with friends. Munn said that while visiting the set of Ratner's After the Sunset in 2004, he masturbated in front of her in his trailer. Munn had previously described the incident, without naming Ratner, in a 2010 collection of essays. The L.A. Times report also describes other encounters where Ratner aggressively pursued actresses, sometimes following them into a bathroom. An extra on Rush Hour 2 named Eri Sasaki said Ratner suggested he would give her a line in the film if she slept with him. Police weren't contacted about any of the incidents, nor did they result in financial settlements. Ratner is the latest Hollywood figure to be accused of sexual harassment in a scandal that began after The New York Times published an exposé last month about decades of harassment allegations against film mogul Harvey Weinstein. Ratner's RatPac Entertainment banner has a $450 million US film co-financing pact with movie studio Warner Bros. and rents office space on its lot. "We are aware of the allegations in the LA Times and are reviewing the situation," a Warner Bros. spokesperson said on Wednesday. The reverberations also reached back 32 years as Oscar-winner Dustin Hoffman came forward to apologize for allegedly sexually harassing a 17-year-old intern in 1985. Writer Anna Graham Hunter alleges in a Wednesday column in The Hollywood Reporter that the 80-year-old actor groped her on the set of TV movie Death of a Salesman and "talked about sex to me and in front of me." Hoffman issued a statement Wednesday, apologizing for "anything I might have done could have put her in an uncomfortable situation. I am sorry. It is not reflective of who I am."
  4. From CTV: WASHINGTON -- U.S. President Donald Trump says he doesn't plan to block the scheduled release of thousands of never publicly seen government documents related to President John F. Kennedy's assassination. "Subject to the receipt of further information," he wrote in a Saturday morning tweet, "I will be allowing, as President, the long blocked and classified JFK FILES to be opened." The National Archives has until Thursday to disclose the remaining files related to Kennedy's 1963 assassination. The trove is expected to include more than 3,000 documents that have never been seen by the public and more than 30,000 that have been previously released but with redactions. Congress mandated in 1992 that all assassination documents be released within 25 years, but Trump has the power to block them on the grounds that making them public would harm intelligence or military operations, law enforcement or foreign relations. "Thank you. This is the correct decision. Please do not allow exceptions for any agency of government," tweeted Larry Sabato, director of the University of Virginia Center for Politics and author of a book about Kennedy, who has urged the president to release the files. "JFK files have been hidden too long." The anticipated release has had scholars and armchair detectives buzzing. But it's unlikely the documents will contain any big revelations on a tragedy that has stirred conspiracy theories for decades, Judge John Tunheim told The Associated Press last month. Tunheim was chairman of the independent agency in the 1990s that made public many assassination records and decided how long others could remain secret. Sabato and other JFK scholars believe the trove of files may, however, provide insight into assassin Lee Harvey Oswald's trip to Mexico City weeks before the killing, during which he visited the Soviet and Cuban embassies. Oswald's stated reason for going was to get visas that would allow him to enter Cuba and the Soviet Union, according to the Warren Commission, the investigative body established by President Lyndon B. Johnson, but much about the trip remains unknown. Longtime Trump friend Roger Stone, who wrote a book alleging that Johnson was the driving force behind Kennedy's assassination, had personally urged the president to make the files public, he told far-right conspiracy theorist and radio show host Alex Jones this past week. "Yesterday, I had the opportunity to make the case directly to the president of the United States by phone as to why I believe it is essential that he release the balance of the currently redacted and classified JFK assassination documents," Stone said, adding that "a very good White House source," but not the president, had told him the Central Intelligence Agency, "specifically CIA director Mike Pompeo, has been lobbying the president furiously not to release these documents." "Why? Because I believe they show that Oswald was trained, nurtured and put in place by the Central Intelligence Agency. It sheds very bad light on the deep state," he said. After the president announced his decision, Stone tweeted: "Yes ! victory !" The files that were withheld in full were those the Assassination Records Review Board deemed "not believed relevant," Tunheim said. Its members sought to ensure they weren't hiding any information directly related to Kennedy's assassination, but there may be nuggets of information in the files that they didn't realize were important two decades ago, he said. "There could be some jewels in there because in our level of knowledge in the 1990s is maybe different from today," Tunheim said. The National Archives in July published online more than 440 never-before-seen assassination documents and thousands of others that had been released previously with redactions. Among those documents was a 1975 internal CIA memo that questioned whether Oswald became motivated to kill Kennedy after reading an AP article in a newspaper that quoted Fidel Castro as saying "U.S. leaders would be in danger if they helped in any attempt to do away with leaders of Cuba."
  5. Did you agree with Harper's proposed ban on women covering their faces during citizenship ceremony?
  6. Surprisingly, a lot of people on this forum is ok for the ban on religious symbols. So how do people feel about Sikhs wearing Turbans? A few decades ago, there was a huge outcry over Sikhs wearing Turbans as a RCMP officer. Now it is quite acceptable. Furthermore, the NDP leader is now a turban wearing Sikh. Also, the opposition wanted the law to go further: "Quebec’s two main opposition parties opposed the bill because they argued it didn’t go far enough in restricting the presence of conspicuous religious symbols in the public sphere". So people would not even be allowed to wear a turban?
  7. Harper tried it and it sure did not work. Lost to Trudeau and only got 11 seats in Quebec. Only difference between what happen in Quebec is the ban is supported by the left wing in Quebec and the right wing elsewhere. Everywhere outside of Quebec, the proposed ban by the Conservatives was severely criticised by the Liberals and the NDP relentlessly. The left was almost setting their hair on fire over the ban on head coverings proposed by Harper. Some political pundits suggested Harper lost a lot of ethnic votes, especially in large urban areas like Toronto and Vancouver. Which cost the Conservatives a lot of seats. In short, what works in Quebec will not work elsewhere in Canada.
  8. Quebec passes legislation that bans people from wearing face coverings while receiving government services. https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/10/18/quebec-lawmakers-vote-in-favour-of-religious-neutrality-bill-banning-face-coverings.html MONTREAL—The Quebec national assembly passed a controversial religious neutrality bill Wednesday that will oblige citizens to uncover their faces while giving and receiving state services, triggering criticism the law targets Muslim women. Quebec’s two main opposition parties opposed the bill because they argued it didn’t go far enough in restricting the presence of conspicuous religious symbols in the public sphere. Tabled by Justice Minister Stéphanie Vallée in 2015, Bill 62 is the governing Liberals’ attempt to enshrine into law what is considered to be a fundamental Quebec value that the state should not promote religion of any kind. It follows up on an election promise in 2014 to address the issue after the Parti Québécois’ own controversial secularism charter — the so-called charter of values — died after the party was swept out of power that year. The new law has two basic components: it bans the wearing of face coverings for people giving or receiving a service from the state and it offers a framework outlining how authorities should grant accommodation requests based on religious beliefs. While the Liberal bill doesn’t specifically mention the garb, it would have the effect of prohibiting the burka and niqab while people interact with the state, but it doesn’t extend to other religious symbols as the PQ’s charter did. Ontario’s Liberal government says it believes Quebec’s new law on religious neutrality runs contrary to Canada’s Charter of Rights and Freedoms and will lead to legal challenges.
  9. Latest News: The NDP announces another study. How many studies do we need? VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – The NDP government is back-tracking on a promise to bring ride-hailing to the province by the end of the year, with the Transportation Minister instead announcing a review. Claire Trevena says there’ll be no ride-hailing in the province until the expert review is completed. She says Dan Hara, who has over two decades of experience, will consult with and prepare the taxi industry for the introduction of services such as Uber and Lyft. The review isn’t due until early 2018. Before May’s provincial election, the New Democrats promised to bring ride-hailing services to the province by the end of this year. Trevena is now suggesting it may not happen before spring. “We’ve got six pieces of legislation that we have to potentially modernize, one going back to 1924. Things were very different in 1924 than they are in 2017. So I think that it’s a very reasonable approach to look at what we’ve got now before we rush into the next step.” She admits she hasn’t read the report Hara put together for the City of Vancouver two years ago. “Because what happens in Vancouver is not the whole province –although Vancouver may think it is sometimes. We’ve got to look at what’s happening in Prince George, in Campbell River, in Quesnel. We’ve got to look at right around the province,’ she says. Trevena denies the delay in legislation will affect Uber’s plans to be up and running by New Year’s Eve, saying the company could just operate like the taxi industry does. “If Uber or any other ride-share service wanted to operate at the moment, they could follow the rules that we have in place, which is: go to the Passenger Transportation Board and apply through them to make sure they had the right insurance through ICBC. There is a system in place already if they chose to use that system and operate here.” Green Party leader Andrew Weaver isn’t happy with the announcement. “I am very disappointed that the government will not keep its promise to bring ridesharing to British Columbians by the end of this year,” said Weaver. “On Thursday, for the third time, I will introduce legislation that will enable ridesharing to finally operate in a regulated fashion in BC. I hope both parties will take this opportunity to engage in a substantive debate on the details of this issue so that we can move past rhetoric and vague statements and finally get to work delivering for British Columbians.” Executives with Uber have repeatedly said they’ll be ready transport customers in and around Vancouver before New Year’s Eve.
  10. Its called position of authority; nothing to do with right or left, as we see with Trump and O'Reilly on the right and now Weinstein on the left as a liberal and a Democrat supporter abusing women. But I knew an anti-Trump rant by you know who would appear in this thread.
  11. Sears Canada Going Out of Business

    So true, 12,000 people let go is a lot. Some have worked at Sears for decades. I agree 100% with the lost of choice. Sears catered to the mid-market, half way between high end stores like the Bay and discount stores like Walmart. In the US, customers there have at least a choice with JC Penny's and Macy's. So what do working class people on a budget do with Sears gone. Walmart clothing selection is limited and poor quality. Customer either have to pony up more money to spend on designer brands at the Bay or shop at stores like Old Navy, H&M. It would hurt people in small towns the most since Sears is sometimes the only department store there besides Walmart.
  12. From NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/us/harvey-weinstein-harassment-allegations.html An investigation by The New York Times found previously undisclosed allegations against Mr. Weinstein stretching over nearly three decades, documented through interviews with current and former employees and film industry workers, as well as legal records, emails and internal documents from the businesses he has run, Miramax and the Weinstein Company. During that time, after being confronted with allegations including sexual harassment and unwanted physical contact, Mr. Weinstein has reached at least eight settlements with women, according to two company officials speaking on the condition of anonymity. Among the recipients, The Times found, were a young assistant in New York in 1990, an actress in 1997, an assistant in London in 1998, an Italian model in 2015 and Ms. O’Connor shortly after, according to records and those familiar with the agreements. In a statement to The Times on Thursday afternoon, Mr. Weinstein said: “I appreciate the way I’ve behaved with colleagues in the past has caused a lot of pain, and I sincerely apologize for it. Though I’m trying to do better, I know I have a long way to go.” He added that he was working with therapists and planning to take a leave of absence to “deal with this issue head on.” Two decades ago, the Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein invited Ashley Judd to the Peninsula Beverly Hills hotel for what the young actress expected to be a business breakfast meeting. Instead, he had her sent up to his room, where he appeared in a bathrobe and asked if he could give her a massage or she could watch him shower, she recalled in an interview. “How do I get out of the room as fast as possible without alienating Harvey Weinstein?” Ms. Judd said she remembers thinking. In 2014, Mr. Weinstein invited Emily Nestor, who had worked just one day as a temporary employee, to the same hotel and made another offer: If she accepted his sexual advances, he would boost her career, according to accounts she provided to colleagues who sent them to Weinstein Company executives. The following year, once again at the Peninsula, a female assistant said Mr. Weinstein badgered her into giving him a massage while he was naked, leaving her “crying and very distraught,” wrote a colleague, Lauren O’Connor, in a searing memo asserting sexual harassment and other misconduct by their boss. Continue reading the main story “There is a toxic environment for women at this company,” Ms. O’Connor said in the letter, addressed to several executives at the company run by Mr. Weinstein.
  13. Sears Canada Going Out of Business

    There goes one of the major reasons why Sears is going under. They cater to a older demographic. That's fine with me since I am in that category but most younger people would not set foot in Sears. For example, the Men's clothing is mainly old men's clothing, you know, the loose "mature fit" clothing when young men are interested in slim fit clothing. For many years Sears had the Arnold Palmer line of clothing. How many young guys would go for the Arnold Palmer look (even if they knew who he was)?
  14. Sears Canada Going Out of Business

    I agree with you. The concept of the "traditional" Department Store started to changed in the 1980's when most department stores switched to sell what they called "soft goods"; ie clothing and home stuff like bedding. They got rid of the big hardware and big toy departments. Then they got rid of the electronic products. Again, this occurred because changes in the retail model where big box stores like Home Depot and Best Buy entered the market. When you go to Macys and JC Penny in the US today they sell mainly clothing too, just like the Bay.
  15. Sears Canada Going Out of Business

    Costco is not a department store like Sears It sells mainly food, seasonal items, limited selection of clothing. Costco would be classified as a big box store.