The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL Thread

VanJets

Absolutely not.

Rodgers has been better than Brady over the last 3 years and he has done it under worse conditions as well.

Surely you are not disputing that? Please tell me you are not. Otherwise I will be forced to annihilate your argument and embarrass you.

Also, Rodgers so far this year is better than Brady was in 2007. Granted Brady's stats through 9 games were better and Rodgers could regress slightly, but the point remains that as of right now Rodgers is on pace to have a better season than Brady did in 2007.

And the Packers defense has more or less played as bad as the Patriots this year.

Absolutely not.

Rodgers has been better than Brady over the last 3 years and he has done it under worse conditions as well.

Surely you are not disputing that? Please tell me you are not. Otherwise I will be forced to annihilate your argument and embarrass you.

Also, Rodgers so far this year is better than Brady was in 2007. Granted Brady's stats through 9 games were better and Rodgers could regress slightly, but the point remains that as of right now Rodgers is on pace to have a better season than Brady did in 2007.

And the Packers defense has more or less played as bad as the Patriots this year.

I'm gonna address this point from an un-bias view.

I think Brady and Rodgers are both exceptional quarterbacks. I have nothing against either of them.

Aaron Rodgers' praise is justified. He is having an amazing season. But it's nothing that hasn't been done before. People are saying he's playing as well as anyone that has ever played in the position. That's fine, but please...factor in the rules. Factor in the rules today, opposed to what they were 5-10-15-20 years ago. Rules favour the offense.

Defenses used to be able to practically demolish Wide Receivers, they used to be able to hit the quarterback (I know weird right?), we all know how the game used to be played. It's an entirely different game now. The league is a Passing league now. I don't think we can deny that.

It is in my opinion, if you were to put Joe Montana in this offense, you'd be hard pressed to tell me Rodgers would play better than him. Same with guys like Unitas, Staubach etc. They played in different eras where it was much harder to put up these yards, points etc.

I'm not taking anything away from him, I'm just saying...performances like this are going to be more common, based on the fact that the rules favouring offenses. You're going to see players put up these huge numbers. It's almost like spread offenses out there sometimes.

On to another, more important note however:

I don't know how many of you follow college football, but the NCAA is finally considering a FINAL FOUR! Thank god. I think it's about time a playoff starts introducing a playoff style system.

There's the possibility of a bunch of 1 loss teams this year, which is really pressing this issue.

I don't know if I've seen a bigger homer than you.

That 2007 season was one of the best, if not THE best season in NFL history.In 2009, the packers were a better team. Full stop. Brady was coming off a major knee injury where he had multiple(2 I believe) surgeries on that same knee. He lost a whole year, came back and threw 28 tds, Rodgers had 30. Brady had a higher completion percentage, but did throw more INT's than normal.

I'm not sure why you are talking about 2007? I said the last 3 years ( I purposely avoided using 2008 because Brady got injured like an idiot and missed the whole season.) Aaron Rodgers in 2009, had a better TD%, INT%, Yards per attempt, more rushing yards, and more rushing TD's than Brady. basically better in every single category. and most importantly, he did it with a bottom 5 offensive line in the NFL, while Brady's was ranked 2nd I believe. And that injury excuse is pure garbage because a) Rodgers played much of the season with a shoulder injury and as i mentioned before Bradys offensive line was so good, its not like he was getting hammered like Rodgers was, constantly. What Rodgers did behind that offensive line, especially early on the season was one of the most incredible things I've ever seen in football.

Now, lets go to last season. Another great year for both QB's. Arod threw for 22 more yards. Brady more TD's less INTs, and a passer rating of 111. Arod's was 101. Both incredible. Tom Brady set an NFL record with his touchdown to interception ratio, it was 9 to 1. That shattered the old record of 6 to 1 held by, you guessed it, Tom Brady. Brady tied the record for fewest interceptions in a single season. Finally, Rodgers for the most part has always had offensive targets to choose from, last year Brady had Welker, that's about it. He did what he did with 2 rookie tight ends, and a player in Deion Branch who hadn't done much the last few years. First unanimous MVP in history as well.

Last season was much closer, most definitely. Brady did indeed have a better regular season (though by a smaller margin than you're thinking). You are ignoring several things. One, Brady did not lose his favourite and most dependable target 4 games into the season like Rodgers did. Brady did not lose his RB in Week 1 forcing his offense to have to be one dimensional. Also the gap between their respective offensive lines was much bigger than between their respective WR's.

And of course, most importantly, Brady crapped his pants at HOME in the playoffs, while Rodgers went bananas and won 3 straight ROAD games and then the Super Bowl.

Taking those factors into play I'd call 2010 more or less a tie, maybe even a push towards Rodgers depending on if you want to play more importance on playoff performance.

So in reality, this is the only season the Rodgers has been better than Brady. I seem to recall you saying hes been better for the last 3. As a poster said, Brady's been doing this for 10 years, and he's still getting better. I am looking forward to you "annihilating" my argument.

How is Brady getting better when you just said his best season was 4 years ago?

In summary:

Rodgers in 2009>>>>>>Brady in 2009.

Rodgers in 2010=Brady in 2010

Rodgers in 2011>>>>>>>>>>Brady in 2011

cumulatively in the last 3 seasons Rodgers has been the better quarterback.

I'm gonna address this point from an un-bias view.

I think Brady and Rodgers are both exceptional quarterbacks. I have nothing against either of them.

Aaron Rodgers' praise is justified. He is having an amazing season. But it's nothing that hasn't been done before. People are saying he's playing as well as anyone that has ever played in the position. That's fine, but please...factor in the rules. Factor in the rules today, opposed to what they were 5-10-15-20 years ago. Rules favour the offense.

Defenses used to be able to practically demolish Wide Receivers, they used to be able to hit the quarterback (I know weird right?), we all know how the game used to be played. It's an entirely different game now. The league is a Passing league now. I don't think we can deny that.

It is in my opinion, if you were to put Joe Montana in this offense, you'd be hard pressed to tell me Rodgers would play better than him. Same with guys like Unitas, Staubach etc. They played in different eras where it was much harder to put up these yards, points etc.

I'm not taking anything away from him, I'm just saying...performances like this are going to be more common, based on the fact that the rules favouring offenses. You're going to see players put up these huge numbers. It's almost like spread offenses out there sometimes.

On to another, more important note however:

I don't know how many of you follow college football, but the NCAA is finally considering a FINAL FOUR! Thank god. I think it's about time a playoff starts introducing a playoff style system.

There's the possibility of a bunch of 1 loss teams this year, which is really pressing this issue.

I agree with you to an extent. Montana is the GOAT imo. at least for now.

That said yeah passing numbers are up, but its not even that Rodgers has a 130 QB rating this year, its that the next highest is 102. thats insane, he is completely in his own tier right now. even when brady was going ham in 2007 he wasnt as far ahead of the next guy.

if Rodger's gaudy numbers were due to inflated passing statistics, then that would seen across the board and he wouldn't be all alone up there.

@Zambrano: Why am I using 07? Read your own post. You said this year rodgers is better than 07 brady. That's why I brought it up. 09 rodgers was not>>>>>>>>>>>>>than Brady. How does brady "get injured like an idiot?" It's not like Brady purposely wanted to tear his ACL. It was amazing what he could do even after losing a whole year of training. Last year wasn't a wash out. If it was, the MVP vote wouldn't have been unanimous. There was a reason he ran away with it. He was far and away the best player in the league. If he was the best player in the league last year, how was he not the best QB? He was miles ahead of anyone last year, especially considering what he had to work with. Ill give you this year, but again, its not as big a disparity as you make it seem. I saw another poster mention it earlier, the Packs supporting crew is a lot better than the Patriots. Rodgers has plenty of targets, and actually has a decent running game (by the way, I enjoyed how you used rushing TD's as a reason why Arod>Brady. Everybody and their dog knows Brady doesn't run the ball). All NE has is Brady, Welker the Gronk, and to a lesser extent, Hernandez.

Guys carlos zambrano just defending his quarterback. Most fans who have at least a decent quarterback for their team think they are elite or i some cases the best. I think tony romo is an elite quarterback,philly thinks vick is elite,chicago thinks cutler elite,etc.

And speaking of romo i have a funny joke for you guys.

So you know romo had a slow start and has now finally has had a couple great games.

Well you know rom....o wasnt built in a day!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahh im funny

I don't even think Aaron Rodgers is the guaranteed NFL MVP right now, he's in the lead yes.

Matt Forte is having an amazing season, probably the main reason why Chicago is where they are right now.

Drew Brees is putting up some decent numbers as well.

Tom Brady is having another stellar year.

One player I wanna put out there: Eli Manning. The guy is coming into his own, he's winning games and winning them late.

Guys carlos zambrano just defending his quarterback. Most fans who have at least a decent quarterback for their team think they are elite or i some cases the best. I think tony romo is an elite quarterback,philly thinks vick is elite,chicago thinks cutler elite,etc.

And speaking of romo i have a funny joke for you guys.

So you know romo had a slow start and has now finally has had a couple great games.

Well you know rom....o wasnt built in a day!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahh im funny

I don't even think Aaron Rodgers is the guaranteed NFL MVP right now, he's in the lead yes.

Matt Forte is having an amazing season, probably the main reason why Chicago is where they are right now.

Drew Brees is putting up some decent numbers as well.

Tom Brady is having another stellar year.

One player I wanna put out there: Eli Manning. The guy is coming into his own, he's winning games and winning them late.

@Zambrano: Why am I using 07? Read your own post. You said this year rodgers is better than 07 brady. That's why I brought it up. 09 rodgers was not>>>>>>>>>>>>>than Brady. How does brady "get injured like an idiot?" It's not like Brady purposely wanted to tear his ACL. It was amazing what he could do even after losing a whole year of training. Last year wasn't a wash out. If it was, the MVP vote wouldn't have been unanimous. There was a reason he ran away with it. He was far and away the best player in the league. If he was the best player in the league last year, how was he not the best QB? He was miles ahead of anyone last year, especially considering what he had to work with. Ill give you this year, but again, its not as big a disparity as you make it seem. I saw another poster mention it earlier, the Packs supporting crew is a lot better than the Patriots. Rodgers has plenty of targets, and actually has a decent running game (by the way, I enjoyed how you used rushing TD's as a reason why Arod>Brady. Everybody and their dog knows Brady doesn't run the ball). All NE has is Brady, Welker the Gronk, and to a lesser extent, Hernandez.

Definitely not the quarterback rating.

I don't their judge their skill based on stats. I judge based on what they're doing on the field.

Like I said, Johnny Unitas is an example of a quarterback who never had extraordinary stats. He still revolutionized the game and is one of the best quarterbacks in the history.

Archived