The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL Thread

VanJets

I've always wanted to know the thought process that goes through a first round picks mind when they're drafted. Obviously they're all happy to have made the NFL but, I wonder how it differs from someone who gets drafted to say the Rams or Browns as opposed to someone who gets drafted to the Pats, Packers, Ravens..etc and think "yes, a shot at the super bowl right away."

I wonder who will get RG3.

1.Indy - :Luck

2.St.L - ? they are sticking with Bradford, they will prob trade down, question is how far down.

3.Minny

4.Clev

5.T.B

6.Wash

I bet Minnesota would take him at 3rd but I see Cleveland or Washington going hard after him and paying whatever the Rams asking price is to move up.

I don't think the Rams want to go that far down, I say they trade down with Cleveland.

RG3 to Cleveland is my guess.

I don't think most of them are thinking about "Superbowls" on draft day. Most of them are grateful to be drafted since this is what they've worked for their entire life.

One of my cousins who attended Berkely lived in the same dormitory with a few current NFL players and one of them said it was the greatest moment of his life. I don't think the moment he heard his name being called he was thinking "damn this team sucks."

Also, being drafted on a team like the Ravens and Packers implements a whole different level of pressure. You're expected to go in right away and play at a high level. If you don't you get scrutinized to the max. Playing on a team that isn't expected to do well is different, if you make mistakes people aren't hounding you like crazy.

Look at Newton. No one expected him to play the way he did, same with Dalton. If they were to have played bad, I don't think people would have been surprised or criticized them. However if Cam Newton got drafted by the Ravens or something, and performed poorly, he'd get kill. Just refer to Eli is first few years or Sanchez now.

I wonder who will get RG3.

1.Indy - :Luck

2.St.L - ? they are sticking with Bradford, they will prob trade down, question is how far down.

3.Minny

4.Clev

5.T.B

6.Wash

I bet Minnesota would take him at 3rd but I see Cleveland or Washington going hard after him and paying whatever the Rams asking price is to move up.

I don't think the Rams want to go that far down, I say they trade down with Cleveland.

RG3 to Cleveland is my guess.

Will be really interesting to see what Eagles do after they franchise Desean Jackson. Will they trade him or hope he tries hard getting paid close to 10 million next year under the tag.

Asante Samuel is also available. Eagles want to trade him for two 2nd round picks. No teams are biting on that.

If they lower their price to one 3rd round pick they should be able to get a deal done fairly quickly. As for Desean if they trade him they will want a 2nd round pick back and have options with their first round pick to draft a WR to replace him.

I wouldn't mind either Kendall Wright or Michael Floyd. Both would fit well for the Eagles. Plus they would get a 2nd round pick to use by trading Jackson to address their needs at linebacker.

Lastly Plaxico Burress wants to play for the Eagles. I say they should sign him and use him in red zone and third down situations.

This is the most important off-season for Andy Reid, if he wants to keep his job the Eagles will have to make a decent run in the playoffs next season.

Will be really interesting to see what Eagles do after they franchise Desean Jackson. Will they trade him or hope he tries hard getting paid close to 10 million next year under the tag.

Asante Samuel is also available. Eagles want to trade him for two 2nd round picks. No teams are biting on that.

If they lower their price to one 3rd round pick they should be able to get a deal done fairly quickly. As for Desean if they trade him they will want a 2nd round pick back and have options with their first round pick to draft a WR to replace him.

I wouldn't mind either Kendall Wright or Michael Floyd. Both would fit well for the Eagles. Plus they would get a 2nd round pick to use by trading Jackson to address their needs at linebacker.

Lastly Plaxico Burress wants to play for the Eagles. I say they should sign him and use him in red zone and third down situations.

This is the most important off-season for Andy Reid, if he wants to keep his job the Eagles will have to make a decent run in the playoffs next season.

If you franchise Desean I find it hard to believe your going to get top trade value for him. Other teams know he wasn't happy there and you guys don't want to pay him that much. Unless you go talk to the Raiders or some other team known for over paying I'm doubting you get that much. People laughed at us for wanting a 1st for Osi and he is in his prime, under contract, a top pass rusher and had a ring on his finger, now he has 2 rings and a good season after coming off surgery and I still am doubtful we could get that much.

I think they could get a 2nd round pick for Desean if they deal with the right teams. The Dolphins would be a fit since their owner Stephen Ross is looking to make a big splash by getting a big name.

I don't think he will mind paying Desean what he wants even if he is immature and a bit of a headcase.

Also Cleveland would be a fit just because of all the connections the Brown's staff has to the Eagles.

Plus both teams have a need for a WR who is a legit deep threat.

I think they could get a 2nd round pick for Desean if they deal with the right teams. The Dolphins would be a fit since their owner Stephen Ross is looking to make a big splash by getting a big name.

I don't think he will mind paying Desean what he wants even if he is immature and a bit of a headcase.

Also Cleveland would be a fit just because of all the connections the Brown's staff has to the Eagles.

Moss wants to return to the NFL.

www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d826eb296/article/moss-takes-to-internet-to-come-out-of-retirement?campaign=Twitter_ATL

Randy Moss celebrated his 35th birthday on Monday by announcing the end of his short-lived retirement.

“I just wanna go to a team and play some football,” Moss said on a video posted at the website Ustream.tv, according to ProFootballTalk.com.

Moss didn't play in 2011 after a turbulent 2010 season that included stops with the Patriots, Vikings and Titans.

He said Monday he retired because of issues he needed to address off the field, but his family has since told him, “It’s fine, whatever you wanna do.”

“Faith, family, and football, that’s my M.O., bro,” Moss said. “Your boy be back for the upcoming season.”

The next question becomes what kind of interest will the veteran receive on the open market. It's believed he has a good relationship with the Patriots despite his ugly departure from the team in October 2010. Other teams would surely consider Moss if he proves he still has the speed to stretch defenses.

But Moss is also at an age when many veteran wideouts find themselves out of football. Of course, Moss isn't most wideouts. His 153 touchdowns are tied with Terrell Owens for second on the career list, and he's also fifth in yards (14,858) and ninth in catches (954).

Coincidentally, Owens serves as something of a cautionary figure for Moss to consider. Owens, 38, was unable to find work in the NFL this season and recently signed with the Allen Wranglers of the Indoor Football League.

Like Owens, Moss had a reputation of being a disruptive force at times during his NFL career. Whether that image puts Moss in position to receive a similarly chilly NFL response remains to be seen.

I agree but at the right price. He doesn't deserve #1 receiver money though as good as he is as a deep threat and returner.

Desean is no threat in the red zone at all because of his size and having a short quarterback not being able to see over the line of scrimmage contributes to that.

I think Desean would do better with a taller qb who can see him open unlike sometimes with Vick, while conversely it would help Vick to have at least one big receiver who can win jump balls and is a threat in the red zone.

I think a fresh start would be best for Desean and the Eagles. They will franchise and trade him for the best deal they can get.

They should be able to find a reasonable deal considering many teams could use a deep threat with speed to burn.

Plus the cap space they free up by trading Desean and not having to sign him gives them flexibility to address their other needs such as linebacker in free agency.

There are also good receivers in the draft who compare to a poor man's Desean Jackson who could help to replace some of the void left by Desean being moved.

I would love the Eagles to draft Michael Floyd in the first round. Big receiver who is a red zone threat and a great fit for a west coast system who has the skills to be a true #1 receiver. Then they can draft a slot receiver/returner to help replace Desean Jackson in the third round like a Joe Adams or T.Y Hilton.

Archived