NFL Thread

VanJets

It keeps getting worse and worse for the new Orleans saints:

what the saints have lost:

Carl nicks(Tampa bay Bucs)

Robert Meachem(chargers)

Tracey Porter(broncos)

• Payton suspended for a year beginning April 1, 2012

• Saints General Manager Mickey Loomis has been suspended for the first eight regular-season games

• Saints fined $500,000

• Saints lose two second-round draft picks - One in 2012 and one in 2013

• Saints assistant coach Joe Vitt suspended six games and fined $100,00

yesterday was a dark day in the history of the New Orleans Saints franchise

Now let's compare that to Spygate:

1st round draft pick.

$500,000.

Not saying Spygate is worse...just using it as a comparison.

Spygate wasn't intended or designed to purposly injure players and end their careers/damage them beyond their nfl days. Would hate to see any of the players these goons took out commit suicide later on due to mental problems from concussions.

The Colts are rebuilding. It's pointless to resign a bunch of players who are past their prime just because they've played there for a bunch of years.

New coach, new GM, new Franchise QB. Build a new identity. They'll be bad this year, yes, but another high pick the following year and they'll begin to improve. Sometimes it has to get worse before it gets better.

The Colts are rebuilding. It's pointless to resign a bunch of players who are past their prime just because they've played there for a bunch of years.

New coach, new GM, new Franchise QB. Build a new identity. They'll be bad this year, yes, but another high pick the following year and they'll begin to improve. Sometimes it has to get worse before it gets better.

I am not a Saints fan however I find the repercussions of the Bounty thing to be absolute BS. Goodell has to be very naive to think the Saints are the only team that has paid players to injure others. In any competitive sport, especially in the NFL where the games are so limited you get an advantage by hurting others and potentially injuring them and I do not believe the Saints are the only team.

Also as much as comparing spygate to this is kind of the "apples and oranges" scenario I do believe there is a point to be made. The patriots only got fined 500K for breaking rules while the Saints are getting hampered to its max. All of you patriots bandwagoners and apologists can slice it any way you want but I do also find it interesting that one illegal action gets a severe repercussion and the other does not. Even though the intent of both was to enhance the competitive edge that the offender had (Saints wanted to injury players to win, Patriots consistently cheated to win).

On a completely different note, I am loving how the Broncos are shaping up. Tracy Porter will be a welcome upgrade over Andre Goodman, the quarterback position is obviously going to be a lot better and the receiver pick ups are not too shabby. In a dream world we go after Mike Wallace but I am going to go out on a limb and say we draft a running back as Willis isnt getting any younger.

Not saying it was worse. Nothing is worse than trying to purposely injure someone. Just wishing injury on someone is terrible.

My only point is, they're both against the rules and both are cheating.

But someone made a really good point, if Spygate happened right now, I think the Patriots get hit harder. It was so early in Goodell's tenure that he didn't really understand the complexity of how to punish teams/players/coaches.

Apparently the cover-up was worse than the crime and I definitely think he punished the Saints this bad to send a message, basically saying, screw with me and you'll get it.

Ouch! Gregg Williams is done for sure now!

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

Williams reportedly offered $15K to knock out Brad Johnson

Gregg Williams already has been

suspended indefinitely by the league for his role in the Saints "bounty" program, but that hasn't stopped even more damning reports against the former New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator from trickling out.

Williams reportedly threw down $15,000 on the table during a team meeting before a 2006 "Monday Night Football" game against the

Minnesota Vikings, telling his players that Vikings quarterback Brad Johnson was not going to finish that game.

"Gregg came in and dropped $15,000 on the (table) and said, 'Brad Johnson doesn’t finish this game. This is Wednesday and the money will go up later in the week. It could double or triple by the end of the week,' " an anonymous player

told WJFK-FM this week. "A couple of guys kinda got excited. (Defensive line coach) Greg Blache said, 'If you get fined, it will be taken care of.' "

Another Redskins player, who also asked to remain anonymous, backed up the claims against Williams, though he couldn't recall specific details about the meeting.

"I can't say for sure it was $15,000, but I definitely remember that happening before that Minnesota game," he said. "And I can't say for sure that those were (Williams') exact words about Brad Johnson, but that was certainly the message. I had never heard anything like that before from a coach, but I wasn’t shocked because that was (Williams') character, so in your face. His language was always X-rated and our meetings were usually pretty nuts."

According to the player, that wasn't the first time that Williams told his team to target a specific player.

"The same thing happened before our playoff game the year before against Seattle," he said. "Gregg wanted us to get (Seahawks MVP running back) Shaun Alexander. Now it happened that (linebacker LaVar Arrington) knocked Shaun out of the game, but he was just playing hard. Unless it's a free shot at the quarterback, you have a really hard time trying to hurt a guy when you're making a play on the ball."

The reports of a

Saints-esque bounty system existing in Washington while Williams was the Redskins defensive coordinator quickly came out after the league first announced its findings. Williams was a Redskins assistant coach from 2004 through 2007, and two unnamed players told The Washington Post that Blache ended the program when he took over for Williams in 2008.

Archived