The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL Thread

VanJets

True Mark anderson on the other side will be nice too.. I think a player like Mario instantly makes everybody behind him better (LB's, DB's) If merriman can even be at 75% of his old self we will have a great pass rushing rotation.. That D-line as a whole on paper is downright scary.. Mario-Kyle williams-marcell dareus-Mark anderson/shawne merriman.. Now hopefully they can come out and perfom..

Mainly what killed us last year was injuries, freddy j was leading the league in rushing yards and all purpose yards when he broke his ankle.. It was said fitz broke his ribs week 8 (around the time we fell apart) and played the rest of the year.. Lost some interior lineman.. I think if we stay healthy we could make a push for a wildcard spot, as i think the division is still the patriots* to lose..

What we really need is a WR opposite of SJ13, a deep threat.. I hope if Michael floyd is there at 10 that the bills draft him, but it's looking more and more like we will go o-line.. Also a SAM backer would be nice (i.e. courtney upshaw) We could use a CB too, dre kirkpatrick comes to mind, but we'll see.. Cant wait for the draft!!

Don't forget Chris Kelsay as well. He'll be moving back into his natural position in this 4-3 Wannstedt is installing, so I'm looking for him to have an up year, albeit probably in a rotational role now. Williams has LDE locked down but that RDE starting role I think is a pre season camp battle between Anderson, Merriman (if back healthy) and Kelsay.

Not to mention on the inside we have Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus to start with guys like Troup Carrington and Heard as rotational depth options.

The Bills easily have the best d-line in the division and it's definitely up there in the entire league too.

I didn't realise Fitzy played the year with those broken ribs? Stems from that London Fletcher hit against Washington right? (Also, on a side note, imagine if we had our new d-line in for that game, we got 10 sacks with the mediocre line we had last year, imagine what anderson and williams would have done. Would have been havoc!)

It was tough to lose Freddy, but it was a really pleasant surprise to see CJ actually step up and perform when he was thrust into that feature back role. I feel confident now that when it comes time for him to take the reigns from Freddy he will do it with no worries.

And actually as far as the draft goes, I'm not at all convinced the Bills go OT at #10. There's plenty of evidence out there to suggest the Bills don't see enough starter material in the OT's at #10 and pick BPA instead. Nix has said from the beginning at #10 they'd like "no warts" and a player that can start straight away, and none of the three OT's projected to be around when the Bills pick fit that "no warts" criteria, they all have issues (two don't even really fit the Bills type for Tackles).

Also, you have to imagine that a few teams will panic above us and pick off the board (Ryan Tannehill anyone?) which could well push one of those 6/7 "elite" talents in this draft down to number 10. I think I'd cry with joy if someone like Blackmon or Claiborne were there at 10. Matt Kalil is what we really want but he's almost guaranteed to go 3rd.

Also, on the topic of Claiborne: We really freaking need a good cornerback this draft. The sooner we can ditch McKelvin the better, the guy got burned way to often last year. Although I do accept our improved pass rush should make McKelvin look better, I'm just not sold on his ability.

Don't forget Chris Kelsay as well. He'll be moving back into his natural position in this 4-3 Wannstedt is installing, so I'm looking for him to have an up year, albeit probably in a rotational role now. Williams has LDE locked down but that RDE starting role I think is a pre season camp battle between Anderson, Merriman (if back healthy) and Kelsay.

Not to mention on the inside we have Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus to start with guys like Troup Carrington and Heard as rotational depth options.

The Bills easily have the best d-line in the division and it's definitely up there in the entire league too.

I didn't realise Fitzy played the year with those broken ribs? Stems from that London Fletcher hit against Washington right? (Also, on a side note, imagine if we had our new d-line in for that game, we got 10 sacks with the mediocre line we had last year, imagine what anderson and williams would have done. Would have been havoc!)

It was tough to lose Freddy, but it was a really pleasant surprise to see CJ actually step up and perform when he was thrust into that feature back role. I feel confident now that when it comes time for him to take the reigns from Freddy he will do it with no worries.

And actually as far as the draft goes, I'm not at all convinced the Bills go OT at #10. There's plenty of evidence out there to suggest the Bills don't see enough starter material in the OT's at #10 and pick BPA instead. Nix has said from the beginning at #10 they'd like "no warts" and a player that can start straight away, and none of the three OT's projected to be around when the Bills pick fit that "no warts" criteria, they all have issues (two don't even really fit the Bills type for Tackles).

Also, you have to imagine that a few teams will panic above us and pick off the board (Ryan Tannehill anyone?) which could well push one of those 6/7 "elite" talents in this draft down to number 10. I think I'd cry with joy if someone like Blackmon or Claiborne were there at 10. Matt Kalil is what we really want but he's almost guaranteed to go 3rd.

Also, on the topic of Claiborne: We really freaking need a good cornerback this draft. The sooner we can ditch McKelvin the better, the guy got burned way to often last year. Although I do accept our improved pass rush should make McKelvin look better, I'm just not sold on his ability.

All us bandwagoners huh? Guess we can't just be a fan of a team who hasn't won a championship since 04? You're hilarious. Paying players to injure others to a severity that may effect them after their playing days are over is a lot worse than stealing some hand signals. And they consistently cheated to win? That's funny at how much you exaggerate . Why don't you ask Kurt Warner if he'd rather have post concussion symptoms after he's done playing football or if he would rather the Pats knew a couple of his plays? Again, you're funny. Now run along and pound your chest and shake your fist where someone views stealing hand signals as equal to causing bodily harm and serious injuries to an innocent person.

All us bandwagoners huh? Guess we can't just be a fan of a team who hasn't won a championship since 04? You're hilarious. Paying players to injure others to a severity that may effect them after their playing days are over is a lot worse than stealing some hand signals. And they consistently cheated to win? That's funny at how much you exaggerate . Why don't you ask Kurt Warner if he'd rather have post concussion symptoms after he's done playing football or if he would rather the Pats knew a couple of his plays? Again, you're funny. Now run along and pound your chest and shake your fist where someone views stealing hand signals as equal to causing bodily harm and serious injuries to an innocent person.

I have a problem with this. You're implying that Kurt Warner has post-concussion symptoms because of the Saints bounty system. I did some research and have found no evidence to this. He also came out and said the hit from the Saints didn't end his career. He's had concussions in the past, against teams that were not the New Orleans Saints. So a statement as vague as that is kind of misleading.

However, the Patriots arguably won their first Superbowl against the Rams because of their theft of hand signals, taping walkthrough, etc. (Note: I said arguably) So the way you should have phrased that is "Why don't you ask Kurt Warner if he wanted a bounty on him, which led to a vicious and illegal hit - but did not lead to a post-career injury, or have the Patriots steal their hand-signals/walkthrough before the Superbowl.

I believe the new Nike jerseys are revealed on the 3rd of April.

Yea, Kelsay is the notorious whipping boy for bills fans, but really when his hand is in the dirt he is an above average player IMO.. That was the problem, you cant implement a 3-4 if you don't have players for that system, and Kelsay is the perfect example of that.. He could quite possibly be the worst player I have ever seen in coverage.. (well him and poz lol)..

Yea it was fletch that hit Ryan, drilled him good too.. Thank god fitz is a warrior cause the season woulda been 10x worse with thigpen playing..(which is another position I think we should upgrade)..

I think losing Freddy was the beginning of the end.. He does so much for for us as a team then just put up the numbers rushing and receiving.. And yea it was definitely a breath of fresh air watching Cj play good.. A lot of fans seemed ready to label him a bust but really all that needed to happen was patience for him.. He realized late last season and in to camp that his Clemson game wasn't gonna work at this level..youre not gonna out run ends and backers to the corner like you could in college.. But man once that boy finds a hole and hits it, nobody will catch him.. It's something special to watch.. My only thing with Cj is I hope his production doesn't make buddy go back on his words with Fred about a contract extension.. Fred is one of the most under rated players in the league..

Re-signing tashard choice was meh, but love re-signing chandler and obviously Stevie (who owns revis).. We also have fendi onobun, a TE prospect who's been compared to Antonio gates, only raw as of now..

As for the draft, I would live kalil and read last night that the Vikings aren't opposed to trading outta 3..but you know how buddy feels about moving in the draft.. I also seen bell's market is washing up so we may be able to land hin at a good price.. Which would open up the draft to practically anyone we want..

What do you think I'd Kuechly from BC?.. Guess he can play will in a 4-3 but that would mean splitting with Barnett or the mike position, but that means kelvin lose reps and personably I think shepp will be an elite MLB given some time..

I have about 10-12 players I would like to see them draft, so I'm pretty open to anything, as long as its not tannenhill, which I think lands with the fish anyway.. Besides luck rg3 (not a fan) kalil and Blackmon this draft kinda jus seems bla to me with sure fire talent.. Hit or miss if you will..

As for mckelvin, I'm still a fan of his, his coverage skills don't seem that bad to me, he's always in position it's jus his ball skills are terrible lol.. He can't find the ball to save his life.. And unfortunately that's one of those things you have or you don't as a player.. I still take Leo over drayton anyday.. That guy takes more penalties then any other player it seems like..

So, Giants vs Cowboys will open. Thought for sure it would be the Packers. They played in the playoffs and are the last two champions (same as last years opener).

I'm fine seeing Dallas start 0-1. Glad it's not my team again. Champs don't lose on opening night.

I'm not surprised we're going back to a 4-3. That 3-4 system really wasn't working. You're right though, it's because we were trying to fit square pegs in round holes in terms of what players we had and where we were playing them.

I'm just excited about seeing Mario Williams healthy and playing for us, nfl.com has us ranked 23rd this year because (and I'm paraphrasing here) Mario Williams isn't actually that great. Was pretty much how it read, haha. He's only had 2 multi digit sack seasons in his first 6 years. (although he had 5 sacks in 4 games last year before that pectoral muscle injury).

I actually hadn't heard much about Kuechly till a few days ago, when his name started popping up as a potential Bill draftee. I've looked into him and read and watched what all the experts have to say and it sounds like he can play all three linebacker positions. Could be a good shout for either starting role or depth as the strong side linebacker in competition with Kirk Morrison.

How come you're not an RG3 fan? The guy was phenomenal at his pro day. I mean, I know if it happened the Skins would still come out with a franchise QB but I'd still giggle if after all this Indy took RG3 instead of Luck.

For the record, I don't think it will; I think it'll be Luck, RG3 and Kalil off the board first.

As for moving up to 3, there have actually been a couple interviews Nix has done where he's said he's not so against moving this year; although they were talking down in that instance. Not sure whether he'd want to lose a draft pick in order to grab Kalil.

Saying that if LT is our biggest positional need (it is. Even if we brought Bell back the man is made of papier mache) losing a "maybe" prospect or two for a "wartless" tackle is something Nix really has to consider.

As far as Freddy goes, Nix has said today that Freddy will have an extension wrapped up before training camp, they just wanted to focus on re-signing their UFA's first.

Yeah, maybe you're right about McKelvin. It's not that he gets done for pace or anything, you're right he just lacks ball skills. Guy can't seem to make plays to save his life.

I like Drayton Florence as a player actually, although you're right. He does take far to many penalties (I remember one game last year where he basically ruined the game for us all by himself with his penalties. Although I forget who the opponent was now).

Archived