The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL Thread

VanJets

Now all I'm waiting for is the new Nike jerseys. It's so hard to get a jersey over here in England damnit; I might just cheat a little and pick up one of last seasons for a little cheaper, save myself a few quid :)

I think at LB Morrison would be the only one I feel could be replaced as a starter. I'm content with him there and I think he'll play well, I just think Sheppard and Barnett are immovable and have to stay. Morrison isn't as entrenched in his position.

I completely agree about the Media thing. To give them their dues, a lot of the things (on nfl.com at least) run along the lines of "one passrusher does not a team make" type lines which I can agree with. What I don't agree with is this idea that he's only slightly above average. As you say he was easily the top FA (bar Peyton) this year and the best pure Pass Rusher by a mile (I'd go as far as to argue we probably got two of the best pure pass rushers in this fa group with Anderson too). Think the media were just a little upset they had to pay attention to Buffalo.

I just really hope we can keep up the pace we had at the start of the year. Buffalo last year was very much like my favourite football(soccer) team is this year. We start off great because no one really knows what to expect from us, we rocket up the rankings but then eventually teams figure out our schemes and how to play against us and begin to counter effectively. We then find it very hard to get any sort of offence at all and regularly shoot ourselves in the foot with defensive mistakes.

Even though the niners lost out on the Manning sweepstakes, they sure are looking good, especially that they signed former Giant Brandon Jacobs! Their offense looks lethal on paper, just about whether they'll be able to use them effectively.

Smith, Crabtree, Davis, Moss, Ginn Jr, Manningham, and now the RB tandem of Gore and Jacobs - 2 tough mutts that wear down defenses, which has potential to beat the Bradshaw:Jacobs tandem that NY had - scary stuff.

......Not to mention, then they got David Akers who can nail down FG's from almost anywhere if they don't get a TD - that offense has potential to be one of the best, I tell you that much :P

I thought it was funny the greener pastures for both Manningham and Jacobs was the 9ers. Either of them didn't get the money they were looking for anyways. Good luck to them but lets face it they both still got backup duty and are imo no better off. I hope a good RB falls to us in the draft after the 1st round sometime.

Man, this guys a tank! So what if he gets 1 yard every carry - with the power and force he runs, hits, and wears teams down, its invaluable. Most overrated is very exaggerated in my opinion; this guy is a RB any team would take in a heartbeat.

Jacobs is actually a good goal line back but peoples problem with him lies in the 3rd/4ths and short because everyone and their grandmothers knows who is getting it. Plus Brandon is a much better runner with a head of steam because he is so tall players just trip him up coming off of the LOS but with speed he can still truck with the best of them. Plus he brings good leadership intangibles but basically most of you are right he is past his prime and on the decline and I don't expect that to change now that he isn't just splitting duties but is backing up a premier back, guess it is a pretty good place to be getting a nice pay check to close out your playing career.

Interesting quote that caught my eye:

Smart Harvard Statistical wizards have this to say about the trade from the Redskins to acquire RG3: "For the Redskins to get the equivalent value from RGIII as they spent acquiring him, he must produce at least as much as Tom Brady. If RGIII merely lives up to his eCAVOA, he’ll finish his career having slightly outperformed David Garrard (61 CAV). Because all-time-great quarterbacks are rare commodities, the Redskins likely lost value both on paper and in reality.”

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827f8d53/article/sanchez-or-tebow-holmes-just-wants-the-ball?module=HP11_headline_stack

Holmes/Jets already looking bad. Hoping for a complete meltdown this year, and cause Revis called BB a jerk? Can yourself - at least we don't call receivers slouches and then fake an injury when that 'slouch' in Randy Moss caught the sexiest one handed TD catch on your @ss a couple years ago; suck it Revis. ...And the Jets are the NFL version of the HBlackhawks to me - hate these guys, and just when you thought you couldn't hate them enough, they do something to top it.

I'm pretty sure he didn't want to sign with any team and took his time to decide where to go; after the winning years he's had with the Giants, I doubt it he'd want to sign with a team like the Dolphins....it takes time to make the decision of where you'll play after you leave an organization that nourished you; just ask Peyton. Jacobs might of not gotten the media attention, I damn guarantee you he took his time to decide where he'd go.

....And goaline, he'd certainly be in my top 5! ....You're kidding me if you think, he's not good, and can't be a useful back when it comes to goaline situations, but don't want to take this out of proportion; I initially said

And I'd like to stick with that. What I underlined and bolded - it makes him a invaluable RB in the entire NFL - there are very few that can run it like him.

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

Holmes/Jets already looking bad. Hoping for a complete meltdown this year, and cause Revis called BB a jerk? Can yourself - at least we don't call receivers slouches and then fake an injury when that 'slouch' in Randy Moss caught the sexiest one handed TD catch on your @ss a couple years ago; suck it Revis. ...And the Jets are the NFL version of the HBlackhawks to me - hate these guys, and just when you thought you couldn't hate them enough, they do something to top it.

Lets talk about some real news: Bill Parcells to the Saints

I think we can establish that the Saints offense will be fine without Payton. Brees knows it inside and out. Pete Carmichael did a great job while Payton was injured last year. I don't think Payton being gone will affect them that much.

The defense: As we know Gregg WIlliams was the DC last year. Spagnuolo is the new guy and is more than capable. Again I think the defense will be fine. With the added factor that their offense consistently puts up 24+, I don't think this will affect them that much.

Now. We all know what Parcells has done and can do. The guy is probably one of the top 5 NFL coaches of all time. Which is saying a lot.

If Parcells takes the job, I think the Saints may just be the favourite to play @ home come next February.

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

Revis calling receivers slouches...who were those receivers? Slouches. "Faking an injury" - that caused him to miss 3 games...but sure he faked it!

Are you expecting Revis to call Bellichick a god? A saint? They're opponents. There have been examples of players on the Patriots doing the same with opposing players/coaches. No need to get worked up about it.

It's almost as if you look for these gossip headlines and react to them.

Archived