The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL Thread

VanJets

Anyone know more about the Pats 3rd pick, Razorbacks DE Jake Bequette? All I know is he is a hard hitter and was a captain for Arkansas. Reading up on him it says he had 10 sacks in 10 games, showed he was an effective pass rusher out of a 3 point and stand up, and is a good zone coverage guy when dropping back. Sounds like Belichick found a gem here but then again this is just from scout articles that highlight his stats.

Nonetheless, I'm really happy we so far have gotten Jones, Hightower (super stoked for this pick), and Bequette. that's 3 edge pass rushers that can contribute right away, and two of them can also drop back in coverage effectively. I don't see how BB doesn't use the remaining two picks on DB's.

I wonder if BB ever thought about using the two second rounders to trade down and get courtney upshaw and have a line backing core of Upshaw mayo Hightower Spikes and call it a day. Obviously he'd be criticized heavily for it for not addressing DB's and only getting 3 players out of this years draft but that linebacking core could wreak havoc, no one would be able to run on us.

Anyone know more about the Pats 3rd pick, Razorbacks DE Jake Bequette? All I know is he is a hard hitter and was a captain for Arkansas. Reading up on him it says he had 10 sacks in 10 games, showed he was an effective pass rusher out of a 3 point and stand up, and is a good zone coverage guy when dropping back. Sounds like Belichick found a gem here but then again this is just from scout articles that highlight his stats.

Loooove the pick of Alfonzo Dennard. This guy's got good talent who could've gone in rounds 2 or 3 but his arrest bumped him down. Belichick went to go speak at Nebraska and while he was there he found this kid and made Alfonzo work out for him and got to talk to him. There must have been some sort of connection the two of them made because there is no other way that Belichick, a guy who expects class and respect out of his players, drafts a guy who assaulted a peace officer and resisted arrest. This guy has the talent, Belichick just needs to get him under strict discipline.

Apparently the Giants draft requirement is how many back flips you can do in a row 1st JPP now David Wilson. :lol: I was worried that Tampa jumped up and snagged our guy(Doug Martin) but after reading more about Wilson I'm convinced he was high on their board a national triple jumper at his school, a multi-sport athlete, and while doing back flips doesn't help football it does show an incredible amount athletic ability to do 13 in a row no handed even JPP did handsprings. Loved the acceleration I saw from his highlight videos as well even when he was racing up to guys it seemed like he always had another gear to close or spread the gap when needed. Obviously it is a different matter in the NFL but I'm pretty excited for Eli to have some more weapons and apparently he is very underrated as a pass catcher which we really need out of the backfield.

Yea, Alfonzo Dennard was a great pick! Was predicted to go in the first-early second round, and because of one incident every team left him....BB at it again! It's not like the guy lost any talent/skill when the incident occurred, so it's shocking he went this late.

Also, Pats picked DB Nate Ebner in the 6th round and it's an interesting pick cause the guy is a rugby star, not your typical football player, and I'm sure BB will turn him into something effective.

...as for Dennard - will be one of the steals of the draft, big time! A first rounder picked up in round 7; praise the lord! :)

Yea, Alfonzo Dennard was a great pick! Was predicted to go in the first-early second round, and because of one incident every team left him....BB at it again! It's not like the guy lost any talent/skill when the incident occurred, so it's shocking he went this late.

Also, Pats picked DB Nate Ebner in the 6th round and it's an interesting pick cause the guy is a rugby star, not your typical football player, and I'm sure BB will turn him into something effective.

...as for Dennard - will be one of the steals of the draft, big time! A first rounder picked up in round 7; praise the lord! :)

Oh yeah great pick up, he assaulted a cop you know, he is lucky he even got drafted. :picard: As for steal maybe I could have given you 2nd or 3rd round, as most projections had him from mid to low 2nd round all the way to the 4th but no team was picking Dennard in the 1st it just wasn't going to happen even without the cop inccident.

I never said anything about him as a player or that he couldn't rebound lots of players make it who weren't drafted, Cruz was an UDFA and was one of the top receivers last season. I just said he was lucky to get drafted and that your 1st round talent claim was a little exaggerated. Other than that I'm sure BB will coach him up I believe it is very much about the system you guys run and not as much about having the all-stars top to bottom on your roster so I think BB will do well with him, I gotta give respect he helped the Giants to 2 Superbowl rings....4 if you want to get technical. :bigblush: But lets not kid ourselves punching a cop 4 days prior to the draft shows a huge lapse in judgement even if only momentary he has to prove himself now so that bodes well for you guys as long as he doesn't have reoccurring problems

People make mistakes and they learn from them...I'm sure we all have and I'm a firm believer of a second chance. Its one thing to keep doing it, but he did one bad thing, omg lol. I just think its funny how that dropped him down homogeneously...teams think their smart not picking him cause of that incident, but the guys still got talent and will learn and I'm sure he won't do it again. 1st was unlikely, but 2nd round projection he was at one point and damn did his stock ever fall....happy BB got him, especially cause we need help there.

http://www.necn.com/...981&feedID=3352

He has a history. He also got into a fight with Alshon Jeffery. There are a lot of players who will be steals, I don't think he'll be one.

It wasn't just these things that dropped him down though, it's not like he's Ty Law...he got burned a lot in the games I saw of him. He should move to safety if anything.

Archived