"Real Men" :bigblush:

#12572 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,776 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

Could the Colts release him then re-sign him under a restructured contract with no 28 million bonus?

Swap Byron Leftwich and Tom Brady's situations. Today Brady would be a UFA or on the Roughriders practice roster, Byron Leftwich would have 100 more wins than losses.

:picard:

"Spirituality, faith and democracy are the corner stones of our country. We are all Patriots. And tonight, the Patriots are World Champions." -Robert Kraft

#12573 Madness

Madness

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

I've only been hearing a little bit about bountygate(no cable yet) so I was wondering how does something like this leak out? Does a former player say something or.....?

Someone must have snitched. As a Saints fan, I'm really curious as to who.

As for Peyton. It would be hilarious if Luck busts.
cookie.png

#12574 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

Someone must have snitched. As a Saints fan, I'm really curious as to who.

As for Peyton. It would be hilarious if Luck busts.

You should me more interested in the fact that this actually happened, for 3 years, more than which player snitched.

It'll be interesting to see how this affects Williams and the Rams. Makes it a little more hairy since the guy being accused now works for a different team.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Sig by Ranyart. FEEL FREE TO USE EITHER!

VOTE FOR EDLER!

And might as well vote for Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Luongo and..... I guess Aaron Rome?

#12575 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

So que the Manning to Miami?

Dolphins have been reported as a front runner because Dolphins Owner Stephen Ross has been waiting to make a big splash by getting a big name player to make up for the fact he couldn't get a big name Coach to come to Miami. They will pay Peyton.

Plus Peyton gets to play Brady twice a year. Manning instantly makes the Dolphins a playoff team if he goes there. Couple that with the weather and it's a nice place to retire.

I don't see another place that is a better fit.

Besides they already bought Peyton Manning Dolphin billboards...

Edited by Hockey Playa, 06 March 2012 - 07:53 PM.

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#12576 Madness

Madness

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

You should me more interested in the fact that this actually happened, for 3 years, more than which player snitched.

It'll be interesting to see how this affects Williams and the Rams. Makes it a little more hairy since the guy being accused now works for a different team.

I am, I'm just curious how they found out. Williams will probably be suspended. He should be, apparently he had this bounty system in Buffalo and Washington as well.
cookie.png

#12577 PredsFanFromLa

PredsFanFromLa

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

oh no,peyton manning is being released by the colts,this world is definitely going to end :frantic:

#12578 Razorghost

Razorghost

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:45 PM

So que the Manning to Miami?

Dolphins have been reported as a front runner because Dolphins Owner Stephen Ross has been waiting to make a big splash by getting a big name player to make up for the fact he couldn't get a big name Coach to come to Miami. They will pay Peyton.

Plus Peyton gets to play Brady twice a year. Manning instantly makes the Dolphins a playoff team if he goes there. Couple that with the weather and it's a nice place to retire.

I don't see another place that is a better fit.

Besides they already bought Peyton Manning Dolphin billboards...

Yep, Ross will pay Peyton whatever he wants as long as he is cleared to play by the medical staff.

I really hope Miami lands him, we haven't had a qb of this caliber since 1999..... :sadno:
Posted Image

#12579 Tony Romo

Tony Romo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

Manning officially released
Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks to Raoul Duke for the Russell Wilson sig.

#12580 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

Manning officially released

Heard he couldn't pass across after his surgery's / he sucked. Great move my the Colts though - why keep him cause he's Manning? If you know he's not gonna do good, then do whats best for the organization. Though, I think it'd be smart if the Colts kept him for one more year, so he could mentor Luck. That'd be a huge step towards Luck's development.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#12581 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

And as a Pats fan, there's rumours Kraft, Belichik and the Pats are after Mike Wallace, WR of the Steelers. He's a FA, or soon to be, and with the Pats in need of a deep threat, there's lots of circulation that he'd come to New England to give the Pats a truly lethal offense.

The past year without Moss, it became quite clear that the Pats offense wasn't as threatful as before cause no one had to worry about a 6'4" monster run down the field with the hands and skill of Jerry Rice. Obviously the Pats did have one of the best offenses in the NFL, but for Pats fans, we knew we were missing that deep threat piece, and it seems after we came so close to winning the Super Bowl, that it'll / it should be resolved this year so we can win it all this upcoming year.

Posted Image

- Tom Brady

#12582 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

Manning to the Seahawks please.

Posting on page 420... :bigblush:

#12583 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

Manning with Fitzgerald/Marshall in Arizona/Miami?

Dayummmmmmm

1zf4oy1.jpg

#12584 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

I want Manning to come to the Seahawks!
It would be great for him to come to Seattle, the fans deserve a guy like him who can turn that team around and can turn them into a bonafide contender. Also, it would be great to go down and see an elite QB play live.

It would be great to see my second favourite team get one of the best QB's in league. Come on Seattle, you can get Peyton Manning!

Edited by Canucksbiggestfan, 07 March 2012 - 02:32 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12585 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

And as a Pats fan, there's rumours Kraft, Belichik and the Pats are after Mike Wallace, WR of the Steelers. He's a FA, or soon to be, and with the Pats in need of a deep threat, there's lots of circulation that he'd come to New England to give the Pats a truly lethal offense.

The past year without Moss, it became quite clear that the Pats offense wasn't as threatful as before cause no one had to worry about a 6'4" monster run down the field with the hands and skill of Jerry Rice. Obviously the Pats did have one of the best offenses in the NFL, but for Pats fans, we knew we were missing that deep threat piece, and it seems after we came so close to winning the Super Bowl, that it'll / it should be resolved this year so we can win it all this upcoming year.

Yes!!!
If the Pats get Wallace, he will solidify the offense. Finally Brady will get his offensive threat back, since the loss of Moss it hasn't been the same. Ochocinco didn't turn out to be the player they hoped he would. With Wallace, the Pats will be a big time Super Bowl threat!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#12586 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,776 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

Yes!!!
If the Pats get Wallace, he will solidify the offense. Finally Brady will get his offensive threat back, since the loss of Moss it hasn't been the same. Ochocinco didn't turn out to be the player they hoped he would. With Wallace, the Pats will be a big time Super Bowl threat!

Patriots have their own first rounder and the Saints 1st rounder so the 1st round tender on Wallace shouldn't be a big deal. Brandon Lloyd also wants to play for the Pats.

Wallace, Welker, Lloyd, Ocho, Edelman, Branch
Gronkowski, Hernandez

:bigblush:

Swap Byron Leftwich and Tom Brady's situations. Today Brady would be a UFA or on the Roughriders practice roster, Byron Leftwich would have 100 more wins than losses.

"Spirituality, faith and democracy are the corner stones of our country. We are all Patriots. And tonight, the Patriots are World Champions." -Robert Kraft

#12587 Tony Romo

Tony Romo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:46 PM

Patriots have their own first rounder and the Saints 1st rounder so the 1st round tender on Wallace shouldn't be a big deal. Brandon Lloyd also wants to play for the Pats.

Wallace, Welker, Lloyd, Ocho, Edelman, Branch
Gronkowski, Hernandez

:bigblush:

I know it's nice to fantasize but that will never happen
Patriots will fix there defense first for sure.
I can't see Wallace leaving pitsburgh but Brandon Lloyd can go to anyone.
Free agency starts tuesday,I always thought it was after te draft
Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks to Raoul Duke for the Russell Wilson sig.

#12588 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,776 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

I know it's nice to fantasize but that will never happen
I can't see Wallace leaving pitsburgh but Brandon Lloyd can go to anyone.
Free agency starts tuesday,I always thought it was after te draft

I wouldn't go as far as saying it will never happen .. Lloyd will sign for cheap if he wants. The rest of the guys are already locked up (I believe Branch is a FA but is going to resign). The Steelers didn't franchise Wallace and put a tender on him implying theyre fine with him leaving as long as they get that pick. With Burress saying Roethlisberger is his favorite QB I could see him going there, he's no Wallace but I don't see the Steelers in a "we NEED wallace" situation. Also Pats can address their defense with their frenzy of picks in the first 4 rounds

#12589 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,419 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

Manning + Seahawks would be amazing. Seattle hasn't really had an elite QB (Unless you count Warren Moon?).

Too bad they need so many other pieces too.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#12590 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:39 PM

Heard he couldn't pass across after his surgery's / he sucked. Great move my the Colts though - why keep him cause he's Manning? If you know he's not gonna do good, then do whats best for the organization. Though, I think it'd be smart if the Colts kept him for one more year, so he could mentor Luck. That'd be a huge step towards Luck's development.

I don't get NFL culture (recreational/ admitted bandwagon Super Bowl fan) because I don't see why the team has a period to release players who've been good (e.g. Peyton, Shaun Alexander awhile back, Hines Ward only recently); is it to open up space in the team to rebuild? Also what's this Franchise Tag? Is it a good thing or not to have it? It sounds bad from how some people in this thread put it

Thanks!

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#12591 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:13 PM

I don't get NFL culture (recreational/ admitted bandwagon Super Bowl fan) because I don't see why the team has a period to release players who've been good (e.g. Peyton, Shaun Alexander awhile back, Hines Ward only recently); is it to open up space in the team to rebuild? Also what's this Franchise Tag? Is it a good thing or not to have it? It sounds bad from how some people in this thread put it

Thanks!

The NFL has a cap just like the NHL. Teams have to comply with the cap and in some cases teams have to release proven veteran players to create cap space such as what the Steelers are doing in order to keep their best players.

In the NFL you can even restructure contracts to convert guaranteed money into bonuses to lower the cap hit without affecting the salary of a player by front-loading the contract like teams do in the NHL.

The Steelers restructured Roethlisberger's, Polamalu's and a few other players contracts to create cap space.

This is what the Steelers are doing because they didn't have the cap space to franchise tag their best receiver Mike Wallace and protect him from getting poached by another team.

Wallace is basically a RFA so the Steelers have every right to match whatever contract offer he gets from any team or they get a 1st round pick as compensation if they don't match or rather can't, due to their salary cap situation.

The "Franchise Tag" is a way for teams to protect their assets from other teams by not letting them simply walk from the team if they can't get a deal done.

The Franchise tag is an average of the top players salaries at a specific position and is given to the player being tagged for 1 year.

Tagging a player buys teams time to work out a long-term contract or they can trade the player if they can't get a deal done.

You can only tag one guy per team in an off-season.

I hope that helps somewhat. :)

Edited by Hockey Playa, 07 March 2012 - 10:43 PM.

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#12592 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

I wouldn't go as far as saying it will never happen .. Lloyd will sign for cheap if he wants. The rest of the guys are already locked up (I believe Branch is a FA but is going to resign). The Steelers didn't franchise Wallace and put a tender on him implying theyre fine with him leaving as long as they get that pick. With Burress saying Roethlisberger is his favorite QB I could see him going there, he's no Wallace but I don't see the Steelers in a "we NEED wallace" situation. Also Pats can address their defense with their frenzy of picks in the first 4 rounds

Actually it's not that they don't want to keep him. They couldn't create the cap space required to franchise him so instead they put a first round tender on him hoping teams don't try to poach him that have a low first round draft pick and cap space.

They have to offer Wallace a deal with a cap hit of 12 mil for the Steelers to not be able to match or else they will match whatever else another team throws out there.

New England still has to sign Welker long term. Plus they have to address their other needs before they make an offer to Wallace.

So is there a chance Wallace can be poached from the Steelers? Yeah but it's not likely because by the time teams take care of their own guys they probably won't have the cap space left to offer Wallace a lucrative enough deal the Steelers couldn't match.

Edited by Hockey Playa, 07 March 2012 - 10:24 PM.

fyo3s9.jpg

#12593 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

That's for sure! This draft, gotta feeling BB is gonna target d mostly.

Posted Image

- Tom Brady

#12594 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:03 AM

Manning + Seahawks would be amazing. Seattle hasn't really had an elite QB (Unless you count Warren Moon?). Too bad they need so many other pieces too.

The Seahawks actually have a really solid team. Their defense is sound and they have a lot of good players on offense when they are healthy.

The only major need is at QB, and if they sign Manning they immediately become contenders IMO.

#12595 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

Just for your info, Manning isn't gonna be Manning anymore - there was a reason why he was released, it's cause he sucks after all his surgerys. I think it's unrealistic to say that whereever Peyton will go, he can lift the team, cause reality, he's old, has injury's which are restricting him to do things which he can't do anymore, and he'll likely be an average QB this year.

Do not look for Manning to lift the team he signs with, cause its just not gonna happen. No hate to the guy, one of the best to ever play, and as a Pats fan, Manning being/used to be the Pats biggest rival - his days are over, and sadly, this/these will be the years of his decline.

Posted Image

- Tom Brady

#12596 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

Just for your info, Manning isn't gonna be Manning anymore - there was a reason why he was released, it's cause he sucks after all his surgerys. I think it's unrealistic to say that whereever Peyton will go, he can lift the team, cause reality, he's old, has injury's which are restricting him to do things which he can't do anymore, and he'll likely be an average QB this year.

Do not look for Manning to lift the team he signs with, cause its just not gonna happen. No hate to the guy, one of the best to ever play, and as a Pats fan, Manning being/used to be the Pats biggest rival - his days are over, and sadly, this/these will be the years of his decline.

Manning may not be the player he once was, that remains to be seen, but that's not why he was released.

He was released because the Colts were forced to make a decision before today, the day he is due a $28m bonus. By all accounts he is recovering well and is throwing better all the time, but it was too much of a risk to spend that much cap money on a player when they are drafting his replacement and rebuilding anyways.

Of note: Jason Lacanfora thinks Manning will end up in Miami, Arizona or Seattle. http://www.nfl.com/n..._content_stream

#12597 VanJets

VanJets

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

This is entirely speculation, so don't make it seem like it's a given or fact.

He's had a few neck surgeries before and came back playing at an elite level - if he's even 70% of the quarterback he was, he's better than a lot of the current starting quarterbacks out there.

The reason he got cut was because he was owed $35 million dollars this year and the Colts had the 1st overall pick with a can't-miss quarterback available. If the Colts had a pick that was out of reach from Luck or Griffin, they wouldn't have cut him. Andrew Luck is a quarterback that is gonna come in and start from day 1. They weren't gonna sit him behind Manning, paying two quarterbacks over $40 million dollars, and leaving one on the bench. The Colts proved this year that they had a lot of holes, they're rebuilding.

I'm by no means claiming he will be an elite player next year, but to say Peyton Manning "sucks" is ridiculous. Also, he's only a year older than Brady, age and serious knee injury didn't make Brady "suck". A lot of people have had the injury Brady had and were never the same player.

Edited by VanJets, 08 March 2012 - 01:00 PM.

Posted Image

#12598 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,419 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

You mean like Brees was dumped over Phillip Rivers and San Diego has become a powerhouse ever since?

Oh wait....
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#12599 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

Manning meeting with the Broncos' staff today.

http://profootballta...ncos-in-denver/

#12600 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,863 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

Manning meeting with the Broncos' staff today.

http://profootballta...ncos-in-denver/

I know we are going to get a lot of this stuff in the next few weeks but as a Bronco fan this has me a bit stoked. I love Tebow but he needs a bit more time and I think Peyton is the exact guy for him to be mentored by. I really hope Bowlen and Elway can get Manning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.