The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dexter

JCiarniello

• 1 month later...

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sto...76-1cbaa993c6ba

News of Edmonton killing stuns Dexter producer

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif - One nightmare haunts the producers of Dexter, the controversial television series about a serial killer.

It's that nightmare that sees the show encouraging copyright killings in real life.

Which is why Melissa Rosenberg, the show's executive producer, was visibly shocked on the weekend when she learned about the first-degree murder charges laid against Edmonton filmmaker Peter Twitchell, an avid Dexter fan.

Email to a friend

Printer friendly

Font:****"Oh Jesus!" she exclaimed. She saw this as a "worst fears" situation - something which had worried the show's creators from the beginning.

"This is a tragic and horrible thing to hear," Rosenberg told Canwest News Service.

She made her comments during interviews for Twilight, the new film version of Stephenie Meyer's best-selling novel about teenage vampires. Rosenberg, an established screenwriter, did the film adaptation of Twilight which opens Nov. 21.

Twitchell was charged at Halloween with the murder of Johnny Brian Altinger who mysteriously disappeared in early October after setting up a date with a woman he had met on the Internet. Police believe he was lured to a garage in Edmonton's Mill Woods neighbourhood expecting a face-to-face encounter with the women he had earlier met on line. He was never seen again.

Although no body has been discovered, police charged Twitchell with murder after seizing a film script in which a male killer lures a cheating husband to his death through an Internet dating scam in which he pretends to be a woman.

The vigilante serial killer of the Dexter series works for the police. So does the killer in the film script now in the possession of the Edmonton force.

Rosenberg insisted Saturday that there was never any intent to "glorify" Dexter's killings - "and we've been very careful not to.

"Every time you think you're identifying with Dexter and rooting for him, for us it's about turning that back on you and saying: 'You may think that he's doing good, but he's a monster. He's killing because he's a monster.'"

In the script seized by Edmonton police, the crusading killer decapitates his victim with a power saw.

Rosenberg admits Dexter's creators feared flak when the show first arrived on the Showtime cable network in the U.S. two years ago - but "surprisingly" it didn't materialize.

"The executive producers were expecting it. They were ready for it. They thought we were going to get slams."

But, says Rosenberg, there was "not a one."

Twitchell has not faced trial on the charges.

Man.

I am like 2 episodes behind now (1 for sure).

I gotta start getting caught up.

I was reading someones wall on facebook & saw a spoiler I didnt know yet because I havent seen the newest epi yet.

On a related note to this thread- I think Dexter will have to kill Miguel before the season is up to cover his tracks for something.

Not sure if I missed anything important on the last episode, but my PVR cut out right near the end of the show. I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything important.

Dexter had just given the ring to Rita, then it cut out. Did anything else happen after that?

Archived