The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Fedor was the man out there. All you idiots crying about "If Fedor is the best, he should fight the best".... well according to your retarded logic...then Brock should come to Strikeforce and get his arse handed to him by Fedor.

Fixed

If the Detroit Red Wings or Pittsburgh Penguins dropped down to the AHL with their current team and dominated for the next 4 years, could still call them the best after those 4 years?

I'm not suggesting Brock is better, I don't think he'd even beat Fedor, but you can't say for absolute fact that Fedor is the best in the world.

Fixed

If the Detroit Red Wings or Pittsburgh Penguins dropped down to the AHL with their current team and dominated for the next 4 years, could still call them the best after those 4 years?

I'm not suggesting Brock is better, I don't think he'd even beat Fedor, but you can't say for absolute fact that Fedor is the best in the world.

Agreed. Fedor is the jason krog of mma. Can dominate the lower guys, but can't compete with the big boys. Brock would knock him into next week if they ever fought.

• Upvote 1

Fixed

The only difference is this is the fight game. The UFC isn't the home of the elite in mma. It's just home to the guys that Dana thinks will sell PPV's or guys he can sign for pittance.

I am also not suggesting the Brock is not a good fighter. But he by no measure can even be considered in the same category as a guy who has been at the pinnacle of the sport for 9 years with no signs of slowing down. If we go back to your hockey analogy. The best hockey team is not the one that wins the stanley cup. It's the presidents cup trophy winner. That is the team that was consistantly the best. The stanley cup winner might end up being the presidents cup trophy winner. But it could also be the 8th place team of either division which could in fact be the 16th best team who happened to get lucky or hot when the time was right.

• Upvote 1

I don't think that Brock is the standard that Fedor should be measured up to. I consider him the weakest of the UFC champions and would like to see him take on all the up-and-comers like Carwin, Velasquez and Dos Santos before we consider him to be the best heavyweight on the planet.

It's tough with the fighters in different promotions. I think Fedor would absolutely pummel Brock, but to me that doesn't mean anything. I'd like to see Brock fight the best as well before I consider him the best.

But first I'd like him to get healthy. As much as I don't like the guy, I'd like for him to lose his title legitimately rather than have to retire as the UFC HWC. That would be bad for the sport because it would open up these endless debates until the end of civilization. "Ah yes, Carwin had a great career, but he never beat the guy with a dick on his chest."

I'm puzzled here. Where do people get this notion that the best fighters are in the UFC, and UFC alone? Just because it's the biggest promotion, doesn't mean they sign every best fighter ever.

Fedor has fought some of the best, and he's never lost. If he wasn't the greatest HW fighter, he wouldn't be undefeated.

All you UFC monkeys keep chirping away, I'm sure Harbinger and VaNuCkZ are laughing as much as I am at your stupid, futile attempts to take something away from Fedor.

Oh, and I'm sure a has-been wouldn't be offered a 30 million dollar contract by Dana White. :lol:

Bunch of donkeys.

Edited by Vlad the Impaler
  • Upvote 2

The only difference is this is the fight game. The UFC isn't the home of the elite in mma. It's just home to the guys that Dana thinks will sell PPV's or guys he can sign for pittance.

I am also not suggesting the Brock is not a good fighter. But he by no measure can even be considered in the same category as a guy who has been at the pinnacle of the sport for 9 years with no signs of slowing down. If we go back to your hockey analogy. The best hockey team is not the one that wins the stanley cup. It's the presidents cup trophy winner. That is the team that was consistantly the best. The stanley cup winner might end up being the presidents cup trophy winner. But it could also be the 8th place team of either division which could in fact be the 16th best team who happened to get lucky or hot when the time was right.

Okay, maybe my hockey analogy wasn't the best, but I'm just not sold on Fedor being the undisputed best HW at the moment. Throughout MMA histroy I'd agree that he is, but he's got to keep beating the best to retain that crown. It's too bad the fight with Barnett never materialized began that would've really tested Fedor. I think Overeem would be a good opponent for him as well.

I disagree about the UFC not being the home of the elite in MMA. UFC fighters dominate the top ten ranking in every division. That's not to say other organizations aren't home to great fighters, but UFC can boast the highest ratio of the top fighters.

I'm puzzled here. Where do people get this notion that the best fighters are in the UFC, and UFC alone? Just because it's the biggest promotion, doesn't mean they sign every best fighter ever.

Fedor has fought some of the best, and he's never lost. If he wasn't the greatest HW fighter, he wouldn't be undefeated.

All you UFC monkeys keep chirping away, I'm sure Harbinger and VaNuCkZ are laughing as much as I am at your stupid, futile attempts to take something away from Fedor.

Oh, and I'm sure a has-been wouldn't be offered a 30 million dollar contract by Dana White. laugh.gif

Bunch of donkeys.

Don't waste your time. People who are not rational to begin with are not capable of understanding a rational argument

• Upvote 1

Oh, and I'm sure a has-been wouldn't be offered a 30 million dollar contract by Dana White. laugh.gif

Bunch of donkeys.

+20

Listen to Vlad !!! mellow.gif

Oh, and I'm sure a has-been wouldn't be offered a 30 million dollar contract by Dana White. :lol:

Bunch of donkeys.

Dana offered Fedor that contract because of the possibilities. Fedor v. Mir, Fedor v. Lesnar, Fedor v. Couture, Fedor v. Velasquez and so on. Those would be huge PPV buys.

Dana offered Fedor that contract because of the possibilities. Fedor v. Mir, Fedor v. Lesnar, Fedor v. Couture, Fedor v. Velasquez and so on. Those would be huge PPV buys.

Fedor v. Fin would be huge.

You don't offer the biggest contract (by a huge margin at that) to a guy who's not the best in the world. If idiots are right, and Fedor can't hack it with "the best" in UFC, he won't be a PPV magnet for long.

Fedor v. Fin would be huge.

You don't offer the biggest contract (by a huge margin at that) to a guy who's not the best in the world. If idiots are right, and Fedor can't hack it with "the best" in UFC, he won't be a PPV magnet for long.

I don't know that anyone has said Fedor can't hack if in the UFC, but that is where he should be because that's where he can continue to prove he's still the best in the world.

I think it's important to point out that Fedor had trouble with Andrei Arlovski, who isn't the same fighter he was a few years ago, until Arlovski went for a stupid flying knee. To add to that, Fedor also struggled early against Rogers.

Just a little Fedor flashback, the second fight I ever saw of his is one of my favourite fights of all time. That was the 2005 fight with Cro Cop. Both fighters were just at the pinnacle of their careers at the time.

I don't know that anyone has said Fedor can't hack if in the UFC, but that is where he should be because that's where he can continue to prove he's still the best in the world.

I think it's important to point out that Fedor had trouble with Andrei Arlovski, who isn't the same fighter he was a few years ago, until Arlovski went for a stupid flying knee. To add to that, Fedor also struggled early against Rogers.

Just a little Fedor flashback, the second fight I ever saw of his is one of my favourite fights of all time. That was the 2005 fight with Cro Cop. Both fighters were just at the pinnacle of their careers at the time.

That's Fedors M.O. He always bleeds. he always takes some punches. He always looks like someone can take advantage of him. He always wins.

So who's next for Fedor in Strikeforce? Once he beats Overeem and Werdum, there's going to be nobody left unless they sign some young guys.

The UFC has Carwin, Velasquez and Dos Santos. Those are the guys he's going to have to go through at some time. I couldn't care less about Lesnar.