The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

he did defintly deserve it but i'll say this ufc needs to stop that. everyone who hates ufc who seen that went ballistic and they have a point that it was totally unnecessary. if the ref sees the dudes out on the ground they should stop it. sumone could get killed from a punch that. theres only been 2 deaths on mma but thats a good way fro number 3 to happen.

Exactly, and what have the states/provinces that haven't approved UFC yet been saying? It's a barbaric, unsafe sport and that was proven Saturday night.

I really think the UFC took many steps backwards from this.

Exactly, and what have the states/provinces that haven't approved UFC yet been saying? It's a barbaric, unsafe sport and that was proven Saturday night.

I really think the UFC took many steps backwards from this.

I like UFC but I agree. To a lesser extent, the Brock Lesnar post-fight fiasco is also bad publicity.

GSP vs Silva has to happen within a year and I'm going to bet it may Just happen when the UFC comes to Vancouver in 2010!

dont bet on it, diana white will milk those 2 for all the money making abilities they have, theyll be fed fighters in there divisions until the hypes up and its time to face eachother which should be now... but it would be awesome sooner then later

To condemn the UFC for both its violence and stuff like the Lesnar "incident" is extremely hypocritical in so many ways.

Why is boxing ok? Just because they wear gloves? Those things can still mess you up and the long term effects of boxing are well known. Fighting is allowed in hockey and lacrosse, the latter of which is essentially bare-knuckle boxing. We advertise and glorify movies and moments that deal with "being a man" and standing up for ones self. The idea that you are a better person if you are physically dominant or impressive.

So Lesnar flipping off the crowd and making comments about his wife is bad, on a PPV event and not live national television, but people laugh and chuckle when they watch old videos of Mike Tyson rants. Or it's ok for some forms of music to advocate violence and female degradation as long as there is an "explicit lyrics" label on the CD. People need to thicken up their skin. Those who are whining about it are just looking for an excuse to bash the UFC.

If somebody wants to subject their body to a violent act, that is their choice. If somebody wants to watch this act for enjoyment, that is their choice. This is where J.S. Mill's "Harm Principle" applies, the law should have no jurisdiction over what people do to their own bodies, as long as it does not violently harm the innocent. Moral disagreement and disgust are not just grounds for outlawing something.

Edited by Gnickers87

To condemn the UFC for both its violence and stuff like the Lesnar "incident" is extremely hypocritical in so many ways.

Why is boxing ok? Just because they wear gloves? Those things can still mess you up and the long term effects of boxing are well known. Fighting is allowed in hockey and lacrosse, the latter of which is essentially bare-knuckle boxing. We advertise and glorify movies and moments that deal with "being a man" and standing up for ones self. The idea that you are a better person if you are physically dominant or impressive.

So Lesnar flipping off the crowd and making comments about his wife is bad, on a PPV event and not live national television, but people laugh and chuckle when they watch old videos of Mike Tyson rants. Or it's ok for some forms of music to advocate violence and female degradation as long as there is an "explicit lyrics" label on the CD. People need to thicken up their skin. Those who are whining about it are just looking for an excuse to bash the UFC.

If somebody wants to subject their body to a violent act, that is their choice. If somebody wants to watch this act for enjoyment, that is their choice. This is where J.S. Mill's "Harm Principle" applies, the law should have no jurisdiction over what people do to their own bodies, as long as it does not violently harm the innocent. Moral disagreement and disgust are not just grounds for outlawing something.

I totally agree with you, but that doesn't make Hendo's second blow to Bisping's face ok. He was already out cold and could have suffered serious damage from that, or in the worst scenario death. Whatever the case is, that shouldn't happen again. Henderson even said he did it by choice, he knew he was out.

Edited by Biggles

I totally agree with you, but that doesn't make Hendo's second blow to Bisping's face ok. He was already out cold and could have suffered serious damage from that, or in the worst scenario death. Whatever the case is, that shouldn't happen again. Henderson even said he did it by choice, he knew he was out.

Yeah, I agree, the 2nd shot by Henderson was bad and I was genuinely worried for Bisping at that point.

couldn't watch it live because i was gone for the weekend, but i made sure to see everything online before finding out the results when i was back. whaaattt an event!! the fights were great, i'm so happy mir lost; too bad he didnt get his nose broken or anything. gsp is untouchable at his weight too, I hope he gradually makes the transfer into a higher weight class

Lesnar makes the UFC look bad, not even so much for his antics but the fact that he's considered a dominant champ with 5 fights in total.

Also factor in that the heavyweight division is weak.

and to Johnny, did you signed up for UFC Newsletter or UFC Fight Club? I definitely want to get access to the presale code for upcoming UFC fights in Vegas.

Also factor in that the heavyweight division is weak.

and to Johnny, did you signed up for UFC Newsletter or UFC Fight Club? I definitely want to get access to the presale code for upcoming UFC fights in Vegas.

Yah, I did ten months ago. I really wanted to get those tix for 91. It's only $75 for one year. Very cool deal. I'm definitely renewing in September.

On a side note.....

So apparently my trip to Portland in at the end of August may be cancelled. Something has come up family-wise. And I have TWO TICKETS FOR UFC 102: COUTURE VS NOGUEIRA. Anyone interested in buying off me, PM me. Good price too.