The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Lesnar is confirming he will not fight in the January fight now.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/champ+Brock+Lesnar+mono+delays+title+defence+again/2188638/story.html

UFC champ Brock Lesnar has mono, delays title defence again

Already rescheduled once, the Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight title match between Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin is on hold again as Lesnar recovers from mononucleosis.

UFC president Dana White confirmed the diagnosis on Wednesday, ending rumours that Lesnar was suffering from the H1N1 flu. White told Yahoo! Sports that Lesnar can not train for at least a month and as long as weeks, putting the Jan. 2 match at UFC 108 out of the question.

The two were originally scheduled to meet Nov. 21 at UFC 106, but Lesnar pulled out of that date because he had been unable to train for weeks.

White told Yahoo! Sports that he doesn’t know when the Lesnar-Carwin match will be rescheduled, or if Carwin will return to the Octagon against a new opponent.

“We’re still trying to figure it out and I’m really not sure where any of it stands right now,” White said.

The Lesnar-Carwin match was to pit two of the biggest powerhouses in UFC. Lesnar is a former NCAA Division I wrestling champion, while Carwin won a Division II national title.

Lesnar (4-1) beat Randy Couture last November to win the UFC heavyweight title and then unified the championship with a victory over interim champion Frank Mir at UFC 100 in July.

Carwin (11-0) has never gone longer than 2:11 in any of his bouts. He was originally scheduled to meet Cain Velasquez at UFC 104, but was offered the title shot instead.

Carwin is undefeated in 11 professional bouts, none of which have lasted longer than 2:11. He was originally scheduled to meet Cain Velasquez at UFC 104, but was offered the title shot instead.

MMAJunkie.com reported Wednesday that the leading candidate to headline UFC 108 is a heavyweight battle between title contenders Velasquez and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

Also expected for UFC 108 is a light heavyweight bout between former champion Rashad Evans and Thiago Silva.

FIGHT NOTES: UFC 105 is scheduled for Nov. 14 in Manchester, England. In the main event, Randy Couture takes on Brandon Vera in a light heavyweight bout. Also on the card is a match-up between welterweight contenders Mike Swick and Dan Hardy, and a middleweight bout between Canadian Denis Kang and U.K. native Michael Bisping . . . At UFC 106 on Nov. 21 in Las Vegas, Tito Ortiz takes on Forrest Griffin in a battle of former light heavyweight champs. Also on the card, replacing the Lesnar-Carwin match, is a welterweight bout between Josh Koscheck and Anthony Johnson . . . On Saturday, Fedor Emelianenko — the man considered by many to be the best pound-for-pound fighter in MMA — takes on Brett Rogers at Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers. The event is being broadcast live on CBS, the first MMA card on network television since an Elite XC event headlined by the now-famous Seth Petruzelli win over Kimbo Slice.

Edited by Harbinger

Is it just me or has this season of TUF been the worst yet? I've said it before, but Rampage is just horrible.

Yeah, it's been pretty bad. All this hype around Kimbo and he loses to that sack of fat. All the fights have been terrible, soooo sloppy.

I could watch this show just for Rampage's remarks laugh.gif

Impressive arm-bar by Marcus Jones.

Looks like Kimbo will be stepping in...

seems like Matt has concussion-like symptoms or something

I'm so sick of watching the end of every episode and having the show hype a potential return for Kimbo. Kimbo has really grown on me this season, but I'm tired of seeing TUF faux-foreshadow Kimbo's return with an injury that turns out to be minor. It would be hilarious if someone did get injured and they had Wessel come back for team Rashad. Remember, Mitrione isn't from team Rampage.