The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

UFC'S LEBEN BANNED FOR A YEAR FOR FAILING DRUG TEST

LAS VEGAS - Middleweight Chris (The Crippler) Leben has been banned for a year after testing positive for Oxycodone and Oxymorphone following his Nov. 5 loss to Mark (The Filipino Wrecking Machine) Munoz in the main event of UFC 138 in Birmingham, England.

The 31-year-old Leben also failed a drug test the last time he fought in Birmingham, testing positive for the anabolic steroid stanozolol following his main event loss to Michael (The Count) Bisping at UFC 89 in October 2008. That earned him a nine-month ban.

"I like Chris and I want him to do well, but based on his actions, he's been suspended for one year," UFC president Dana White said in a statement. "If he needs professional help, we are going to be there for him. We want to see him succeed not only in the Octagon, but in his personal life."

Leben (22-8) is a graduate of Season 1 of "The Ultimate Fighter" who has acknowledged he has faced demons in his personal life.

The hard-headed 185-pounder spent time in a military jail for going AWL and later for a parole violation on an old DUI conviction.

"I would like to make it known that I fully accept this suspension and apologize for embarrassing the UFC, my friends and family, and sport of mixed martial arts," Leben said. "I'm learning that I'm my own worst enemy sometimes. I can't succeed in the Octagon or in life behaving this way.

"I've got to make some real changes over the next year and I'm going to focus on getting my life and career back on track."

Leben is 4-2 since a loss to Jake Rosholt at UFC 102 in August 2009, saying later he weighed 215 pounds and was drunk less than three weeks before that bout.

"I just was in a really bad spot in my life," said Leben, who makes his home in Hawaii.

He rebounded to beat Yoshihiro Akiyama and Wanderlei (The Axe Murderer) Silva but looked sluggish against Munoz.

The UFC said 19 other fighters on the UFC 138 card passed their post-fight drug tests.

http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=381515

Hope he gets the help he needs.

Edited by lateralus

I thought I wanted to see someone finally beat Silva, but after watching that interview, I want him to make Sonnen tap again. That was just retarded, Lansberg was asking him legit questions and Sonnen was just dumbfounded, he had no clue what was going on.

Agreed, kinda made me lose respect for Sonnen. People can say what they want about Lansberg, but he hasn't made it on the air with OTR for 14 years playing "amateur hour"

Part way through the video it made me think of this gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU7obHTd4mM

• Upvote 1

Canadian fighter Georges St-Pierre will be out of action for almost a year after suffering a serious knee injury.

UFC president Dana White issued a tweet Wednesday that said St-Pierre will not fight Nick Diaz at UFC 143 on Super Bowl weekend.

"GSP blown acl will be out for 10 mos. Now Condit vs Diaz for the interim welterweight title on Feb 4th in Las Vegas!!" White wrote.

The news came about six weeks after St-Pierre suffered a strained knee ligament while training in his hometown of Montreal.

The injury forced him out of a UFC 137 title fight with Carlos (Natural Born Killer) Condit.

St-Pierre (22-2) has battled knee injuries before.

After beating Matt Hughes for the championship at UFC 65 in November 2006, he lost the title to Matt Serra at UFC 69 in April 2007 in a fight that was delayed two months due to a GSP knee issue.

St-Pierre won it back from Serra at UFC 83 in April 2008. The Canadian has defended the welterweight championship six times since.

St-Pierre also tore his abductor muscle in three places in a victory over Thiago Alves at UFC 100 in July 2009.

The UFC has been hit hard by injuries over the last year, reflecting a hard-nosed sport where the training can be tougher than the fights themselves.

Lightweight champion Frank Edgar's recent title defence against Gray Maynard was delayed when both fighters were injured in the leadup. Former heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez missed several months after shoulder surgery.

Light-heavyweight champion Jon (Bones) Jones, former light-heavyweight title-holder Rashad Evans and former heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar (diverticulitis) have also been sidelined for varying amounts of time.

Jones is scheduled to fight Lyota (The Dragon) Machida in the main event of UFC 140 this Saturday at Air Canada Centre in Toronto.

http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=382164