The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

According to Ariel Helwani's twitter: Anderson Silva offered to fight a lhw other than Jones(chael?) to save the Card.

Thats a real fighter right there folks. Silva just recently fought. He's hasnt even been training like bones for a fight next weekend. Yet he's willing to fly from Brazil and fight in Las Vegas on 8 days notice. The man is 38 years old, he is a

real fighter. Jones is a cocky brat.

Sonnen is the one stepping in to a completely new weight class. He's the only fighter that was willing to fight on 8 days notice. Even that loser Bisbing fought Sonnen on 8 days notice.

Jones is supposed to be the best in his division, yet he won't fight when all of the odds are stacked in his favour. Why? He probably wants to watch 8 months of tape on Sonnen before fighting him. Sonnen doesn't need that, he's a real fighter.

As for title shots, Sonnen was the only fighter who agreed to step in. It's not his fault that nobody else would step up.

Jones is an employee of the UFC and he is supposed to be a fighter. He's had his training camp, he has prepared to fight a wrestler already.

Wrong:

Sonnen wasn't the only one to offer to step up and fight a five-round, championship fight on Sept. 1. Middleweight Chris Weidman also offered to move up a weight class and take the fight. Weidman was thought to have earned a middleweight title shot, but current champion Anderson Silva will not be fighting again before the end of the year.

Wrong:

Sonnen wasn't the only one to offer to step up and fight a five-round, championship fight on Sept. 1. Middleweight Chris Weidman also offered to move up a weight class and take the fight. Weidman was thought to have earned a middleweight title shot, but current champion Anderson Silva will not be fighting again before the end of the year.

Wrong look at my previous post. Silva just offered to fight on September 1st.

Sonnen is the one stepping in to a completely new weight class. He's the only fighter that was willing to fight on 8 days notice. Even that loser Bisbing fought Sonnen on 8 days notice.

Jones is supposed to be the best in his division, yet he won't fight when all of the odds are stacked in his favour. Why? He probably wants to watch 8 months of tape on Sonnen before fighting him. Sonnen doesn't need that, he's a real fighter.

As for title shots, Sonnen was the only fighter who agreed to step in. It's not his fault that nobody else would step up.

Jones is an employee of the UFC and he is supposed to be a fighter. He's had his training camp, he has prepared to fight a wrestler already.

How would you feel if you're training 2-3 months for a certain opponent, and then someone throws a curveball at you and say you're going to fight different guy?

The fact is, Jones has been training to fight Henderson for months now, not Sonnen and despite being one of the best pound-for-pound fighters, Jones has a lot more to lose than Sonnen.

Edited by shiznak

UFC is becoming a disappointment.

Then go watch Strikeforce or Bellator.

I do agree that there are far too many shows nowadays which lead to watered-down cards. But I'll watch no matter what. The more the merrier for me. Some will suck, but most are good enough or awesome. This sport is quickly becoming my #1, even over hockey.

How would you feel if you're training 2-3 months for a certain opponent, and then someone throws a curveball at you and say you're going to fight different guy?

The fact is, Jones has been training to fight Henderson for months now, not Sonnen and despite being one of the best pound-for-pound fighters, Jones has a lot more to lose than Sonnen.

How would you feel if you were Sonnen? You get thrown a curveball, Need to bulk up 20 pounds and in his interview with the guy at Bleacher Report he basically said he would have had 0 time for training because of the media tours that would need to be done. Seriously, for everyone whining and bit**ing for Jones using the point that he would have not had enough time to prepare, keep in mind Sonnen would have needed to gain 20 pounds and had 0 time for training. He would have been going in with the coldest of feet. So Jones did not have it bad.

Anderson Silva manned up to take the main fight against another light heavyweight and trust me when I say this Spider would have had the most to lose. Yet he did it. You know why? Because he is a team player. Jones is a selfish prick who is only interested in himself. Jones screwed over a lot of people due to his decision and without using "bad words" he cowarded out of the fight. Due to Jon Bone Jones selfishness, the undercard guys who make maybe 10-20k a fight will not have a fight. These guys who put there heart and soul into it and are literally living pay cheque to pay cheque got shafted because of the selfishness of one man. The UFC cancelled its first PPV ever under the Zuffa era because of him and lost tremendous amount of money. All of those people who booked trips to see UFC 151 will now have wasted there money because of the punk Jones.

There is absolutely 0 reason to defend Jones because he did something that was blatantly selfish for no apparent reason.

Edited by canuckbeliever

How would you feel if you were Sonnen? You get thrown a curveball, Need to bulk up 20 pounds and in his interview with the guy at Bleacher Report he basically said he would have had 0 time for training because of the media tours that would need to be done. Seriously, for everyone whining and bit**ing for Jones using the point that he would have not had enough time to prepare, keep in mind Sonnen would have needed to gain 20 pounds and had 0 time for training. He would have been going in with the coldest of feet. So Jones did not have it bad.

Not defending either side, but completely different circumstances. Jones had EVERYTHING to lose and NOTHING to gain while Sonnen had EVERYTHING to gain and NOTHING to lose - you can't compare their motivations or situations, each of them needs to make decisions based on their own reasoning - not what other people think they should do, despite what Dana White says about the whole mess.

It doesn't matter who the UFC put in fron tof Jones he should of taken the fight for the sport and for the fans. It goes above and behind Jones, the fans and other fighters are now at loss because the entire card was cancelled. In my opinion Sonnen did not deserve a shot at Jones but if he was the only one willing to step up and fight him then Jones should of taken the fight. The effect that his decision is having and will have on the UFC and its fighter are above and beyond any personal feud between Jones and Sonnen. Jones is a beast and would destroy Sonnen anytime, short notice or not, it all come down to Jones being to high and mighty to fight lowly Sonnen which has personally changed my opinion of Jones for the worse.

Sonnen did not deserve a shot at Jones but if he was the only one willing to step up and fight him then Jones should of taken the fight.

Dana White said himself via telephone interview on TSN that he had dozens of guys that would have stepped in on a moments notice - so no, Sonnen was not the only one willing to step up and fight Jones. Dana White knows however that Sonnen would have likely been the only one that would have been able to salvage the fight from a 'media' and 'publicity' standpoint on such short notice, therefore he was offered the fight.

Dana White said himself via telephone interview on TSN that he had dozens of guys that would have stepped in on a moments notice - so no, Sonnen was not the only one willing to step up and fight Jones. Dana White knows however that Sonnen would have likely been the only one that would have been able to salvage the fight from a 'media' and 'publicity' standpoint on such short notice, therefore he was offered the fight.

Dozens of guys aren't Chael Sonnen. Sure a bunch of no names would be like, I want the money fight!!!

Hell I would volunteer to get my ass kicked, just for the pay day.

Anderson Silva manned up to take the main fight against another light heavyweight and trust me when I say this Spider would have had the most to lose. Yet he did it. You know why? Because he is a team player. Jones is a selfish prick who is only interested in himself. Jones screwed over a lot of people due to his decision and without using "bad words" he cowarded out of the fight. Due to Jon Bone Jones selfishness, the undercard guys who make maybe 10-20k a fight will not have a fight. These guys who put there heart and soul into it and are literally living pay cheque to pay cheque got shafted because of the selfishness of one man. The UFC cancelled its first PPV ever under the Zuffa era because of him and lost tremendous amount of money. All of those people who booked trips to see UFC 151 will now have wasted there money because of the punk Jones.

There is absolutely 0 reason to defend Jones because he did something that was blatantly selfish for no apparent reason.

Do you not understand, Jones has everything to lose and nothing to gain from this fight? He' not going to jeopardize his title just to please some fans. Call it cowardly all you want, but it was the right move to reject the fight.

Would probably feel pretty damn good. He's been training for 2-3 months and Sonnen hasn't been training. Whoever he would have fought if he manned up would have had very little to no training for Jones so that shouldn't be an excuse. Jones just made a bitchmove no other way of putting it.

• Upvote 1

Do you not understand, Jones has everything to lose and nothing to gain from this fight? He' not going to jeopardize his title just to please some fans. Call it cowardly all you want, but it was the right move to reject the fight.

Explain to me what he has to lose?

He is fighting a guy who doesnt normally fight at at 205 and would have 0 training for the scrap. What exactly is it that the almighty Jon Jones is scared of? How would he have jeopardized his title? We all know he would have beat Sonnen. All this cancellation shows is that Jon Jones is a punk and too big of a pu*** to fight Sonnen. Even when all the odds would have been stacked with him he chose to reject the fight because he was scared that a guy who had 0 training and doesnt fight in his weight class regularly would beat his a** up.

• Upvote 2

Explain to me what he has to lose?

He is fighting a guy who doesnt normally fight at at 205 and would have 0 training for the scrap. What exactly is it that the almighty Jon Jones is scared of? How would he have jeopardized his title?We all know he would have beat Sonnen.All this cancellation shows is that Jon Jones is a punk and too big of a pu*** to fight Sonnen. Even when all the odds would have been stacked with him he chose to reject the fight because he was scared that a guy who had 0 training and doesnt fight in his weight class regularly would beat his a** up.

There's no guarantees in MMA. Sonnen almost beat Silva (the first time), when Silva was a heavy favourite going into that match. It only takes one mistake from Jones, to get knocked out by Sonnen. Sonnen doesn't need any training, because he's going into the fight with nothing to lose and is probably going to be swing away hoping he lands one on Jones.

• Upvote 1

Jon DUI Bones Jones has lost all respect from me.

By definition, he is a coward, there is really no disputing that.

Sure, Tristar gym's specialty is to completely analyze the other opponent and train specifically to counter them. Other gyms might try something similar but nowhere near to the extent Tristar does. Chael Sonnen, however, is just as much in the dark and hasn't had the time to even condition himself for the fight let alone analyze Jones' past fights.

His selfish decision has cost the UFC a lot of money but most of all it let down a lot of fans. I really hope he loses to Machida and this is coming from a former Jones fan.

• Upvote 1

Jon DUI Bones Jones has lost all respect from me.

By definition, he is a coward, there is really no disputing that.

Sure, Tristar gym's specialty is to completely analyze the other opponent and train specifically to counter them. Other gyms might try something similar but nowhere near to the extent Tristar does. Chael Sonnen, however, is just as much in the dark and hasn't had the time to even condition himself for the fight let alone analyze Jones' past fights.

His selfish decision has cost the UFC a lot of money but most of all it let down a lot of fans. I really hope he loses to Machida and this is coming from a former Jones fan.

He at least wants to be prepared for his opponent. Unlike a certain character who tried to front and instead knocked himself out after banging his head on the wall.

Jones doesn't have to fight Sonnen if he doesn't want to. Just like GSP doesn't have to finish his opponents if he doesn't want to. These guys aren't going to go out of their way to try and appease the fans that would actually bash them anyway.

I dont get the Jones hate; he had every right to refuse that fight. It was a lose/lose for Jones.

If he loses, there goes his title.

If he wins, he beat a guy who took a fight on 8 days notice, who just fought, who is moving up a weight class. Does nothing to help his rep, fans, etc.

Dana is a spoiled baby when it comes to stuff like this. Injuries happen, Jones signed a contract to fight Hendo, not Sonnen, he has every right to say frack off. You guys make me laugh.