The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

The thing is like Sonnen (or even better), GSP has tremendous wrestling ability that Silva cannot defend so I don't think it would be a mismatch. However, Silva probably has a better stand-up game but he hasn't fought many people with the accuracy and efficiency of GSP's jabs.

Why does Sonnen get so much recognition for being such a great fighter anyway? Because he's a loud mouth attention whore? Dude is .500 in the UFC; that sucks.

Why can't he fight him? Because Silva is bigger? There are a lot of people saying Anderson would win. Bollocks. I mean, that is why they have the fights after all -- to determine who is actually better. Saying Anderson would beat GSP based on absolutely nothing is like saying team A would beat team B in a playoff series without even a single game being played.

Well yes, of course size is a huge difference maker. Silva would outweigh GSP by approximately 20 lbs if they fought at a catch weight of 177 lbs. All things equal that in it self would be the difference maker.

Another equally important factor is that Silva is a better fighter, period. Look what he does to his opponents. GSP's last 5 fights have been Condit, Shields, Koscheck, Hardy and Alves. Whats a common trait?, he couldn't finish any of them. None of these fighters could even be mentioned in the same league as Anderson Silva and GSP went the distance with them all.

GSP would have a hard time taking Silva to the ground, in part because of the weight and strength difference and in part because Silva is very long and fast, he'd keep GSP away with his fists. Even if GSP got Silva to the ground he has no chance of finishing Silva. Don't forget Silva is a Jiu Jitsu black belt. He also has an excellent ground game.

I think this fight would be a mismatch.

I've been following Johny Hendricks for a few years now so watching him knockout two legitimate welterweight contenders is what I imagine having your son make it to the NHL feels like. :lol:

Not sure who I'll be cheering for if he gets his title shot against GSP...ugh.

GSP should be very worried about Hendricks. He's got world class wrestling. He won 2 national championships at OSU and lost in the final after going 56 -0 in his senior year. On top of this he's the best power puncher in UFC right now.

There's a strong chance GSP gets knocked out by Hendricks.

Silva needs to fight better talent. Most of his fights are either against slow Light Heavyweights or old has been's/Chael Sonnen at middle-weight.

Last real dangerous fighter he faced was Dan Henderson in 2008.

I wish he would fight Machida, Rashad Evans, Rampage, and Shogun, but he's probably friends with all of them.

Why does Sonnen get so much recognition for being such a great fighter anyway? Because he's a loud mouth attention whore? Dude is .500 in the UFC; that sucks.

As a huge huge GSP fan I must say chael sonnens wrestling is top notch, probably the best in the sport.

I still get so bloody annoyed when I hear that GSP/Silva may happen. So beyond unneccesary and nothing more than a cash grab by the UFC.

Should be: Hendricks vs GSP and Silva vs either Weidman, Boetsch, or Belcher. But of course, it's all about the $$$.

The whole world revolves around $. The only way GSP would fight Silva is for the money. He's a very smart guy, GSP knows he would get embarrassed by the Spider. If boxing money was on the table GSP should do it.

If I'm GSP I would rather be embarrassed by Silva than Hendricks. The end result will be the same. GSP will get knocked out by either one but against Silva GSP can make millions of $ in a super fight.

I really want to see GSP vs. Hendricks

Be careful what you wish for. I think Hendricks will KO him. If you caught the Hendricks vs Jon Fitch fight you know how tuff this guy is. Saturday night was no fluke.

All great fighters come and go. GSP has been great but I think Hendricks is the next guy at 170. World class wrestler and KO puncher.

Be careful what you wish for. I think Hendricks will KO him. If you caught the Hendricks vs Jon Fitch fight you know how tuff this guy is. Saturday night was no fluke.

All great fighters come and go. GSP has been great but I think Hendricks is the next guy at 170. World class wrestler and KO puncher.

It would be a good fight. But I think that is GSP can get him on the floor he definitely has a chance

It would be a good fight. But I think that is GSP can get him on the floor he definitely has a chance

I think that would be the only way GSP beats him, get him to the floor. But Hendricks is a very accomplished wrestler. When GSP fought Koscheck he sued his jab and boxed all night. Koscheck is also a wrestler so GSP knew he would have difficulty taking him down.

With Hendricks, GSP definitely can't stand and box with him and he will have difficulty taking him down. I love GSP, pbbly my fav fighter along with Silva but this is going to be difficult.

GSP would fight Silva at 170lbs.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/2012/11/20/firas_zahabi_georges_st_pierre_anderson_silva/

Georges St-Pierre’s head trainer Firas Zahabi says the UFC welterweight champion would “100 per cent” be willing to fightAnderson Silva if it is at 170 pounds, while given the choice betweenJohny Hendricks and Nick Diaz next, he’d rather fight Diaz.

Zahabi, the longtime coach of GSP, was a guest on TVASports Monday night for a panel discussion in French following the Montrealer’s dominant five-round win over Carlos Condit at UFC 154 at the Bell Centre Saturday.

There, he addressed a number of questions, including whether St-Pierre would take on the UFC’s middleweight champion Silva in a proposed super-fight.

"If Anderson came down to 170 pounds, we’d say yes, 100 per cent, certainly," Zahabi said. "But if we’re asking Georges to fight in a higher weight category, it’s another story."

Zahabi differentiated the scenario with one nearly four years ago, when then-lightweight champion B.J. Penn moved up to St-Pierre’s weight class to challenge for his welterweight belt at UFC 94 (St-Pierre defeated Penn, also a former UFC 170-pound title-holder, by corner stoppage after the fourth round.)

"Look at B.J. Penn. It’s him who challenged GSP and I have no problem with that," Zahabi said. “If the bigger guy challenges the smaller guy, it’s him who should come down a weight category.”

Zahabi added that they are not keen on the fight happening in Silva’s home country.

“I don’t want it to be in Brazil, because of the time zone, it’s far, we’d have to bring the whole team, it would be very complicated. It would require going there three weeks ahead of time. I don’t know how the things work down there for training. I’d prefer it be here, in Canada or the U.S. In Texas, it could work, it would be neutral territory.”

Aside from a fight with Silva, the other two most logical next opponents that have been proposed are Johny Hendricks, who became the top welterweight contender with his stunning 46-second knockout of Martin Kampmann in the UFC 154 co-main event, and former No. 1 contender Nick Diaz.

The latter may be the most interesting, simply because Diaz was at one point set to challenge for St-Pierre’s belt in 2011 before he was pulled from the matchup for failing to appear at some promotional press conferences. He was replaced by Condit, but then St-Pierre had to withdraw due to a knee injury. Diaz instead fought Penn, and after beating him, Diaz called out the champ, suggesting he was afraid to fight him. This angered St-Pierre to the point that he really wanted to fight Diaz next.

Unfortunately, St-Pierre suffered an even graver injury, tearing his ACL and requiring surgery that kept him out until last weekend. Condit then beat Diaz in February for the interim belt; however, GSP hasn’t forgotten the perceived disrespect from Diaz and still wants to face him at some point.

In fact, Zahabi told TVASports that GSP would prefer the Diaz matchup at this point, for another couple of reasons.

“Diaz and Hendricks, the two would be very interesting,” Zahabi said. “But the thing with Diaz is he’s more popular, more known. That would make for a bigger mega-fight with Georges and it would give Hendricks time to get more recognition.

“When Georges was hurt and had surgery, Diaz said, ‘Hey! Where are you? Why are we not fighting?’ He sought him out while he couldn’t do anything about it. And that, Georges remembers. Now GSP is capable, he’s no longer on crutches, and he’s ready to fight him.”

Zahabi went on to suggest that a matchup with the notorious bad boy Diaz could generate enough interest to have it at a stadium, especially in GSP’s home town.

“I think it’s possible to make this fight at Olympic Stadium in Montreal,” Zahabi added. “It’s certain Diaz would sell such a fight, he’s like that. When we’re in the same room, the UFC brings all their security to make sure we do not cross paths, because a fight could start right there. Diaz is very aggressive, even if you ignore him, he’ll search you out.”

I think that would be the only way GSP beats him, get him to the floor. But Hendricks is a very accomplished wrestler. When GSP fought Koscheck he sued his jab and boxed all night. Koscheck is also a wrestler so GSP knew he would have difficulty taking him down.

With Hendricks, GSP definitely can't stand and box with him and he will have difficulty taking him down. I love GSP, pbbly my fav fighter along with Silva but this is going to be difficult.

Koscheck stood with Hendricks. GSP stood with Koscheck and beat his ass. This will be another 5-0 win for the Canadian.
  • Upvote 1

Well yes, of course size is a huge difference maker. Silva would outweigh GSP by approximately 20 lbs if they fought at a catch weight of 177 lbs. All things equal that in it self would be the difference maker.

Another equally important factor is that Silva is a better fighter, period. Look what he does to his opponents. GSP's last 5 fights have been Condit, Shields, Koscheck, Hardy and Alves. Whats a common trait?, he couldn't finish any of them. None of these fighters could even be mentioned in the same league as Anderson Silva and GSP went the distance with them all.

GSP would have a hard time taking Silva to the ground, in part because of the weight and strength difference and in part because Silva is very long and fast, he'd keep GSP away with his fists. Even if GSP got Silva to the ground he has no chance of finishing Silva. Don't forget Silva is a Jiu Jitsu black belt. He also has an excellent ground game.

I think this fight would be a mismatch.

And Bob Sapp outweighs everyone and still gets his ass handed to him. There even was a fight not long ago in the UFC, I don't recall who was involved, but it there was about a 20lb difference since one guy didn't make the cut and the noticeably smaller fighter won via TKO, I think. Either way there was a fight like that not long ago.

I know, I love how everyone uses the 'he can't finish anyone argument!' Last time I checked he beat the piss out of Serra, twice, as well as Hughes and they were pretty good WW. Okay, even though he hasn't finished his opponents in his last five fights, look at it this way: these guys have EVERY opportunity to win a round and they can't even manage to do that. It's total dominance by GSP regardless if he finishes them early or not. I got a feeling it's a strategy he and his team implements by coming into the octagon with a more conservative approach now that he is the champ. It's not like he's barely squeaking out win left and right.

Is it actually a fact Silva is stronger than GSP? Based on what? Because he's a bigger guy in general? For someone who supposedly cuts from 220 to 185, he still doesn't look like he's carved out of stone like George. Silva could probably drop to 170; maybe he's just chunky between fights.

I think people are making a lot of predictions based on ignorance and bias. Especially on Facebook.