The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Belfort is a beast. He beats rampage and Evans any day of the week.

Rampage? Maybe. Evans UD's him easily. Maybe even knocks him out.

My guess is Anderson will never fight at 205 ever again, so we'll never see him fight legit competition at LHW. And please don't tell me Forrest, Bonnar, or the amazing James Irvin are competition.

On another note, anyone else so damn beyond excited for Dec 8's card in Seattle??? A friggin freebee on Fox that includes:

- Nate Diaz vs Bendo for the title

- Shogun vs Gustafsson

- Rory vs BJ

- Swick vs Matt Brown (nighty night somebody)

And a good lookin prelim card to boot.

Then a TWO CARD night on Dec 15. (Sotiropolus/Pearson and TUF Finale)

THEN..... Dec 29, JDS vs Cain. My god December is a bg month!

Yes and the Aussie TUF finale DEC 14 has Hector Lombard vs Rousimar 'Paul Harris' Palhares as well as a fight between two of the top 145ers in Hacran Dias vs Chad Mendes,.who also come from the two top camps in the world for the lighter weight classes, Nova Uniao and Alpha Male respectively. These guys have two losses between them and this fight is rumored to be on the UNDERCARD??!! God, i hope they find a way to get this fight on the main card.

Hector Lombard vs Pall Harris of course will be a crazy fight. Who doesn't love Paul Harris, eh. Lombard is a wild man, an Cuban Olympian in judo with big punching power. It could be fight of the year.

My guess is Anderson will never fight at 205 ever again, so we'll never see him fight legit competition at LHW. And please don't tell me Forrest, Bonnar, or the amazing James Irvin are competition.

On another note, anyone else so damn beyond excited for Dec 8's card in Seattle??? A friggin freebee on Fox that includes:

- Nate Diaz vs Bendo for the title

- Shogun vs Gustafsson

- Rory vs BJ

- Swick vs Matt Brown (nighty night somebody)

And a good lookin prelim card to boot.

Then a TWO CARD night on Dec 15. (Sotiropolus/Pearson and TUF Finale)

THEN..... Dec 29, JDS vs Cain. My god December is a bg month!

Oh, and the Aussie card winds up airing on the 14th here in Beautiful BC because of the massive time difference so we wind up with free shows on Sporstnet on back-to-back nights. The US TUF finale looks to be a very weak card, actually, but hey, it's a free night of fights eh. Aussie card is very interesting with a couple of very ppv worthy matchups.

capoeira is a genuine Brazilian fighting style and is very respected here. but require too many movements so it means you can´t stop during the fight. it can be really exaustive. this is why this style isn´t much used on MMA...

Silva is a nice guy. but I´m worried about these fights, he always "jump in" on every challenge. what happens if one day he looses against a "not soo strong" rival?

This is what is so intriguing about Lelo. He is so far applying his capoeira based fighting style very successfully to mma, something previously unheard of in the long history of vale tudo fighting in Brazil. The fight community is paying close attention to to see how he fairs against world class comp in Bellator. If you look at the clip I posted at the top of the page, it sure is exciting!

This is what is so intriguing about Lelo. He is so far applying his capoeira based fighting style very successfully to mma, something previously unheard of in the long history of vale tudo fighting in Brazil. The fight community is paying close attention to to see how he fairs against world class comp in Bellator. If you look at the clip I posted at the top of the page, it sure is exciting!

I did :) but let´s see his progress, he must fight another Brazilian to show his improvement because Brazilians fighters know the capoeira style. fight with a guy from a country not used with capoeira is diferent, a guy from USA doesn´t know how capoeira works so it´s easy surprise him.

I doubt that style would work against true mixed martial artists. That style is extremely erratic and leaves tons of openings for counters or easy take downs.

I doubt that style would work against true mixed martial artists. That style is extremely erratic and leaves tons of openings for counters or easy take downs.

I don't disagree at all but what makes him interesting is he is the first one to take the style as far as he has in mma. And he is already in the big time, he had his Bellator debut recently and lost a split decision after dominating the first round in his typical fashion and then then gassing badly and barely surviving the distance. I do think he will need to go somewhere like Tri Star to compete at the highest level. He needs to be at a major gym to get his conditioning/doping/weight-cutting up to the mark.

What he is trying to do right now is unique in mma, at least at the highest level. He fights out of Axe Capoeira in Vancouver; I'm wishing him every success, a lot of people are following.

Belfort is not a beast anymore. All of the fights against big names, he loses.

In the last 10 years the most notable guy he's beaten has been Randy Couture, but he lost to him twice.

The last 10 years

He lost to Couture in a rematch.

Lost to Overeem twice.

Lost to Tito Ortiz

Lost to Chuck Liddell

Lost to Dan Henderson

Lost to Silva

Lost to Jones

He beat Rich Franklin :shock:

I disagree.

With the exception of maybe Overeem, all of those losses occurred while his opponents were essentially at or approaching their peaks. Those losses are nothing to scoff at. That's top competition. Its not like he lost to Tito and Chuck recently... His win over Franklin was pretty big at the time as well, don't act as if it wasn't. At the time he was still a top 5 ww.

Anthony Johnson was (and to a lesser extent still is) a pretty highly regarded up and comer as well.

This guy went 4 rounds with a top 3 p4p fighter in Jones and almost snapped his arm. Nobody else has even come remotely close to damaging Jones. And that was what, 3 months ago? Vitor is still progressing, and in my opinion is at his peak now. He's a beast.

If we ever see them fight, we'll know the answer. Until then I disagree as well. Rampage offers nothing but a punchers chance to anybody anymore. Judging by the last few years of his career, he clearly has little to no motivation to train properly. He never has a gameplan, and complains whenever someone does stand and bang with him.

Rashad has good standup, but I think Vitor has better. Also better from the top or the bottom. Unless rashad literally somehow managed to smother him for 3 rounds, I think that's an easy win for Belfort.

Dana is scared crapless of Johny Hendricks. It's obvious he wishes Hendricks would just go away and stop starching all of his top welterweights. Stuff like Jones/Sonnen and GSP/Diaz will kill what little legitimate sporting cred UFC has with the mainstream. Dana is burying his own company's long term prospects by chasing big ppv fights for short term gain. It's incredibly short sighted.

Dana is scared crapless of Johny Hendricks. It's obvious he wishes Hendricks would just go away and stop starching all of his top welterweights. Stuff like Jones/Sonnen and GSP/Diaz will kill what little legitimate sporting cred UFC has with the mainstream. Dana is burying his own company's long term prospects by chasing big ppv fights for short term gain. It's incredibly short sighted.

Who doesn't want to watch GSP vs Diaz. Despite his loss to Condit, I still think Diaz is an amazing fighter.

There's no way GSP forgot that Diaz called him a faker, and has been calling him out for years in strikeforce.

GSP needs to settle unfinished business, Hendricks can wait.

Your right, it's the fight that everybody wants to see, that's why it's happening. GSP just delivered the first good ppv numbers that UFC has drawn in quite a while.

And the Diaz fight will draw considerably bigger than that. I just feel sorry for Hendricks, he's earned a shot the old fashioned way, by actually winning big fights against top contenders including fast knockouts over Kampmann and Fitch.

Edited by Keke Mortson's helmet