The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

GSP should take a risk and fight Silva at 178. It's fair for both fighters, but he will never do it.

If GSP beats Hendricks and Silva beats Wiedman they're pretty much going to have to do it.

Edited by rampage

Really? I didnt hear that GSP wanted the fight to be at 170 that would be a bit ridiculous, Anderson would look like a stick. I don't think thats true i remember hearing how he said he needed to get bigger though before they could fight.

It'll happen though, Silva's looking to sign a new contract after his current one expires and Dana said it would be a contract length of 8-10 fights, I can't see it not happening within that time.

considering that the bigger you are the more weight you can cut it isn't really fair to say that these two would even be in the same league . GSP is what 185-190 before cutting what is Silva? 200? 210?

I remember hearing about how a Heavy weight Boxer can lose 15-20 lbs during a fight just from sweating .. now obviously a light weight would be more like 3-5 lbs .. the bigger you are the more water your body holds.

I would love to see the fight but i see no way that GSP could win it.. i hope he could but i can't see it. unless he puts on some serious size and can cut down and not fight at his regular walking weight.

Everytime GSP fights he makes me free money. Put down 1G on him and made $200 profit. Nobody is beating him because his wrestling neutralizes his opponents. I've literally made thousands wagering on George. Not the most exciting fighter but he's a guaranteed lock to bet on! Plus he's canadien

A fight at 170 with Silva looking like a concentration camp inmate is the only way GSP could win, otherwise its going be another case of a good big man beating a good little man.

Anderson was the Shooto 167 pound champion when he was 27 years old so anything is possible. A lot of people don't realize that UFC originally signed Anderson back in 2001 to fight for the 170 pound welterweight belt then held by Canada`s own Carlos Newton at UFC 34, Silva was replaced for the title mach by Matt Hughes who went on a long run as UFC 170 champ after defeating Newton in controversial fashion. The Silva vs Newton fight eventually happened at PRIDE 25 in Japan.

And yes, Anderson was a stringbean early in his career, he deliberately packed on weight in 03-04 when his mma career was stalled and he was planning to switch to kickboxing so he would be heavy enough to compete in K-1.

I have followed Anderson`s career since 2000; he`s always been the best, even though he hasn`t always been widely recognized as such.

Anderson fighting at 170:

http://youtu.be/0gZWKUsvdd0

http://youtu.be/x0NgwbloGks

http://youtu.be/x7sXks7Ocmo

Anderson vs Hayato Sakarai for the Shooto 167 pound belt in 2001:

http://youtu.be/aH7pjZqo7Og

I don't know how it was back then but Silva walks around at more than 220 lbs today, almost everyone gains weight over time and I have the feeling that if it were feasible for him to get back down to 170, he would have done it already.

As far as GSP or anyone else bulking up, that has its problems too as while you usually increase your strength enough to be competitive, few fighters are able to take their striking power with them as they move up in weight class, even as the competition becomes bigger and more durable.

Definitely.

He has 8 straight title defenses. He hasn't lost in 6 years. He is recognized as one of the sport's all time greats. But he's going to potentially blow all of that by changing his style, his game plan, so Joe Blow finds the match a little more entertaining? Fat chance.

If people don't like watching him fight, fine, but I don't get why these same people continue to tune in and watch him compete... nobody is forcing you. Take a hike and save yourself the 25 minutes.

I understand where you're coming from. And I'm not trying to be a douche. I know he has his legacy to think about, yadda yadda. But when watching him vs Nick and seeing just how much of a giant mismatch that was, you'd think that the champ would want to finish. That's all I'm saying.

Give me a champion that looks to finish over a champion that looks to win rounds.

Edited by Raoul Duke