The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

5 hours ago, JimLahey said:

Dos Anjos looked fantastic beating the Cowboy in a minute, calls out McGregor.. like this guy.

Overeem beating Dos Santos & Nate Diaz winning the decision over Johnson both impressive as well.

Solid night of free fights.

This freaking amazing if you guys haven't seen this yet. Unreal mental warfare. No one can trash talk like MacGregor in Boxing or MMA he is the most entertaining personality in the fight game right now and this proves it.

This solidified my support of his approach. It is clearly working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY7r-DwtjD8

22 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

This freaking amazing if you guys haven't seen this yet. Unreal mental warfare. No one can trash talk like MacGregor in Boxing or MMA he is the most entertaining personality in the fight game right now and this proves it.

This solidified my support of his approach. It is clearly working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY7r-DwtjD8

I really think its more of a case of his opponents being very weak mentally. 

Just imagine Aldo sitting there at these press conferences with no reaction, just smiling and blowing him kisses while McGregor would run around making a fool of himself. 

McGregor would just rage even more seeing his tactic not working and look like an idiot himself. 

Aldo is just a quiet, humble, respectful guy and he didn't know how to handle it. It's a shame no one took him aside and schooled him on how to act against this. 

I put this theory to the test if Northcutt ever faces McGregor. Him being so positive and chill, will just laugh it all off and will have no effect on him. 

All my own personal opinion of course. 

Edited by RRypien37

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

I really think its more of a case of his opponents being very weak mentally. 

Just imagine Aldo sitting there at these press conferences with no reaction, just smiling and blowing him kisses while McGregor would run around making a fool of himself. 

McGregor would just rage even more seeing his tactic not working and look like an idiot himself. 

Aldo is just a quiet, humble, respectful guy and he didn't know how to handle it. It's a shame no one took him aside and schooled him on how to act against this. 

I put this theory to the test if Northcutt ever faces McGregor. Him being so positive and chill, will just laugh it all off and will have no effect on him. 

All my own personal opinion of course. 

That's true but I'm sure Macgregor can adapt to his opponent too. I still kinda feel bad for Aldo not knowing English and getting verbally trashed for months though.

It would be more interesting if faced a guy who really knew how to respond.

6 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

That's true but I'm sure Macgregor can adapt to his opponent too. I still kinda feel bad for Aldo not knowing English and getting verbally trashed for months though.

It would be more interesting if faced a guy who really knew how to respond.

I still say no response is the best response facing a guy like McGregor. 

A good example I'd say is Maidana or Porter vs Broner in boxing. 

16 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

I still say no response is the best response facing a guy like McGregor. 

A good example I'd say is Maidana or Porter vs Broner in boxing. 

Probably but its hard especially if media and people pester you like are you gonna take that?

How do you respond without coming off as scared by not responding when the insults are relentless and so in your face.

At some point pride and ego come into the equation don't they?

Just now, Chip Kelly said:

Probably but its hard especially if media and people pester you like are you gonna take that?

How do you respond without coming off as scared by not responding when the insults are relentless and so in your face.

At some point pride and ego come into the equation don't they?

I guess it really depends on the person and their personality.

At the same time, actions speak louder than words. 

I mean, I'm not saying don't respond at all, but just make is short and sweet without getting emotional. 

For example going against a guy like McGregor when he is talking and has his fighting stance ready, laughing and blowing a kiss would be hilarious. Actually Aldo's response in the weigh in was quite good. 

As McGregor said it himself, the mental aspect is the majority of the battle. He beats these guys more psychologically than with his fighting ability. 

Lets also remember a lot of these fighters only know fighting, most haven't hit the books hard studying mental or psychological warfare, McGregor actually has. 

14 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

I guess it really depends on the person and their personality.

At the same time, actions speak louder than words. 

I mean, I'm not saying don't respond at all, but just make is short and sweet without getting emotional. 

For example going against a guy like McGregor when he is talking and has his fighting stance ready, laughing and blowing a kiss would be hilarious. Actually Aldo's response in the weigh in was quite good. 

As McGregor said it himself, the mental aspect is the majority of the battle. He beats these guys more psychologically than with his fighting ability. 

Lets also remember a lot of these fighters only know fighting, most haven't hit the books hard studying mental or psychological warfare, McGregor actually has. 

Thats what I love the mental side and also how he studies movement and constantly changing angles when striking.

He doesn't even classify himself as a boxer or any particular syle but wants to be known as just a pure fighter capable of adapting to his  opponent.

He also actually mentioned at the weigh-in how Aldo's stance gave away him wanting to load up his right hand because Connor noticed a subtle twitch that telegraphed he was ready to unload his right during the staredown.

Edited by Chip Kelly

13 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Thats what I love the mental side and also how he studies movement and constantly changing angles when striking.

He doesn't even classify himself as a boxer or any particular syle but wants to be known as just a pure fighter capable of adapting to his  opponent.

He also actually mentioned at the weigh-in how Aldo's stance gave away him wanting to load up his right hand because Connor noticed a subtle twitch that telegraphed he was ready to unload his right during the staredown.

Yup. It's funny how people categorize a lot of these fighters as meat heads. 

However, the most successful ones are always analytical and intelligent. 

8 hours ago, Down by the River said:

People talked about Aldo being scared; I didn't see that. I think he game plan was to ignore CM's antics so that he wouldn't get any more revved up than he already was. CM still my favourite, and I usually hate trash talkers. 

I don't think he was scared either. You don't get to that level of fighting with that record being scared. He just got punked and psyched out. 

13 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Especially MMA which is said to be bloodsport  cage fighting akin to human cockfighting.

Boxing and other combat sports get more respect.

I must admit, I prefer boxing :ph34r:.

They call is the sweet science for a reason B)

4 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

I must admit, I prefer boxing :ph34r:.

They call is the sweet science for a reason B)

I can't really argue with you in terms of strategy. But who doesn't like to see entertainment and guys just trade sometimes and stand and bang?

I know Boxing has some exciting fighters and fights but when your biggest fight is an entertainment flop like the last May weather/ Pacquaio fight than casual fans are going to think that most boxing is boring and be drawn to the seemingly more visceral MMA/UFC.

4 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I can't really argue with you in terms of strategy. But who doesn't like to see entertainment and guys just trade sometimes and stand and bang?

I know Boxing has some exciting fighters and fights but when your biggest fight is an entertainment flop like the last May weather/ Pacquaio fight than casual fans are going to think that most boxing is boring and be drawn to the seemingly more visceral MMA/UFC.

Yeah, you have a point. Don't get me wrong I enjoy a good top contender UFC fight, but I'm just not a big fan of the ground game which is why I prefer boxing. 

LAWLER VS CONDIT

Well just finished watching one of the most action packed fights,Condit vs Lawler,unfortunately the judges were obviously watching something other than the fight in the ring.Tonight Condit should be wearing the belt as the new champion.He was at least 2 rounds ahead going into the final round,on my books anyway.

Edited by fagin
  • Upvote 1

http://www.si.com/mma/2016/01/07/holly-holm-miesha-tate-conor-mcgregor-ufc-197-march-5

McGregor vs Dos Anjos booked for march 5th! Wow gotta hand it to Conor he's got some major stones . Finally a UFC champ willing to fight every couple of months. Bad matchup for him, but I think he pulls it off as Dos Anjos can be overly aggressive and walk right into a straight left . Cant wait for this one!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Robongo said:

http://www.si.com/mma/2016/01/07/holly-holm-miesha-tate-conor-mcgregor-ufc-197-march-5

McGregor vs Dos Anjos booked for march 5th! Wow gotta hand it to Conor he's got some major stones . Finally a UFC champ willing to fight every couple of months. Bad matchup for him, but I think he pulls it off as Dos Anjos can be overly aggressive and walk right into a straight left . Cant wait for this one!

Same for Holm.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 2016-01-08 at 10:20 AM, Robongo said:

Unfortunately Dos Anjos has sufferered a broken foot in training,Nate Diaz is the new opponent.