The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

I doubt that Liddell will be able to even make his fight against Silva close. Liddell is just so out of it these days. Physically and mentally he's worn out, and he'll be facing a monster in Wanderlei. Say your last goodbyes to Chuck Liddell.

I doubt that Liddell will be able to even make his fight against Silva close. Liddell is just so out of it these days. Physically and mentally he's worn out, and he'll be facing a monster in Wanderlei. Say your last goodbyes to Chuck Liddell.

Sad but true. Liddell used to be the man... not so much as of late. Silva's a beast too. This could be worse than the Rampage fight if Silva catches him early.

So....

The Ultimate Fighter 7 coaches announced. Forrest Griffin vs Rampage Jackson, and of course, they'll duke it out afterwards.

Also, UFC 81 Feb 2 will be Brock Lesnar's debut vs Frank Mir. Should be interesting. Can't believe he dropped 35 pounds or so, he looks the exact same as he did in the WWE.

• 3 weeks later...

UFC79.png

UFC 79

Main Card

* Interim welterweight championship bout: United States Matt Hughes vs. 22px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada Georges St. Pierre

* Light heavyweight bout: United States Chuck Liddell vs. Brazil Wanderlei Silva

* Light heavyweight bout: Brazil Lyoto Machida vs. Cameroon Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou

* Lightweight bout: United States Rich Clementi vs. Flag of the United States Melvin Guillard

* Heavyweight bout: United States Eddie Sanchez vs. Australia Soa Palalei

This is probably the best UFC card I think I have ever seen. The scrap everyone has been waiting a couple years for: Liddell vs the Axe Murderer. Im going to give this one to Wanderlei. His mixed martial arts is of a more complete variety. Liddell will try for the knockout but Silva will be content with either a KO or a Ground and Pound. Chuck showed in his last fight that he will wait and wait for a knockout that may never come.

Canada's Georges St Pierre is back after training with the Canadian Olympic Wrestling Team and a good camp in Montreal training with North Vancouver native and Pride fighter Dennis Kang, Keith Jardine, Rashad Evans, boxers Greg Jackson camp etc. I hope GSP knocks Matt the hell out like last time.

6l0kcp1.jpg

Machida vs Sokoudjou is another interesting bout. Machida is undefeated but Sokoudjou has manhandled his last 2 opponents. Quick brutual knockouts. I guess this fight should show if Terry is a 2 hit wonder or if he presents a serious thread in the light heavyweight.

Dont care for the other 2 matches that much, but the top 3 are huge match ups.

Here's a fellow youtuber's prediction:

:lol:

The weigh ins are at 4pm today and you can watch them live on the internet on UFC.com nbc/yahoo/foxsports.com.

Edited by Pfizer

i expect liddell to come out firing... same with wanderlei, someones going to catch the other guy while there just duking it out, and i cant believe how noones giving lidell a chance in this fight... the dudes probably the greatest striker ever in the ufc and wanderlei just like lidell has lost his last two fights so this will be closer than most think and wanderlei's substituting his kicks on the ground to elbows so who knows he might not be as good with his elbows like he is with his kicks

The difference is Wanderlei has lost his last two against Cro Cop and Dan Henderson. I still think Liddell wins though. It's not because I'm a Chuck fanboy, in fact, I don't like the guy at all, I just think with Wanderlei having to get used to the cage and not being able to kick or knee his opponent while on the ground he'll have a tough time adjusting.

I'm super psyched for tomorrow's event. UFC 78 sucked balls, 79 better rebound.

UFC 78 was a snoozefest except for the Houston Alexander vs Thiago fight. That was pretty interesting. Alexander was exposed for his lack of a ground game.

for people new to MMA heres a cool site

http://www.mmalinker.com/

pick a fighter on the left side and it will link to their video. You wont find their fights on youtube because of copyright problems, but people have uploaded them onto other sites.

Here's the link for Georges St Pierre. I think hes one of the most exciting mixed martial artists at the moment. He comes out with some crazy street fighter moves.

http://www.mmalinker.com/index.php?name=Ge...mp;mtype=Select

Should be an alright card. this would have been a great card a year and a half ago. But I will definitely watch it just for the novelty of finally seeing Wandie in a cage again. He got so demolished by belfour last time. Hopefully he is not completely prone to concussions now or this fight could be quick.

GSP is one of my absolute fav fighters but i don't see that much "street fighetr" in him. i see a very skilled technical fighter with a long classic martial arts background and an exceptional athlete. the latter will probably be the key-factor for tonight's fight. little time to prepare and an opponent who will not go down fast. stamina and condition will be crucial, i reckon.

Finally found this thread. CDC search is ????ing broken, doesn't work worth ????.

Great fights, except for the typical boring heavyweight fight.

Wandy got beat pretty good by Lidell. Chuck's height and reach advantage was really evident.

GSP dominated Hughes, again. Hughes is done. I love watching GSP out-wrestle these supposedly "amazing" wrestlers (Hughes, Koschek).

GSP is going to kick Serra's donkey and keep the title for a long time.

GSP is one of my absolute fav fighters but i don't see that much "street fighetr" in him. i see a very skilled technical fighter with a long classic martial arts background and an exceptional athlete. the latter will probably be the key-factor for tonight's fight. little time to prepare and an opponent who will not go down fast. stamina and condition will be crucial, i reckon.

yeah hes very talents. When I say street fighter, i mean street fighter 2 the video game. He will go in for the jab, then back up, superman punch, roundhouse kick, spinning back fist, leg sweep and then axe kick when the opponent is on the ground. He's so dynamic like when you start pressing all the buttons in the video game.

Most fighters are punchers, some wrestle, some go Jiu Jutsu as their advantage, hes so well rounded in every facet of the game, he's all over the place.

Finally found this thread. CDC search is ????ing broken, doesn't work worth ????.

:D I had that problem too. Turns out when you do a search it has to be more than 3 letters.

But that UFC was pretty wicked! Machida really took Soko to school there. Seems without his early knockouts he didnt really provide much MMA wise. He was getting manhandled.

The silva/ liddell fight went as planned. A complete KO war. I didnt like the fact Liddell went in for the takedowns. Hes been saying he wanted to knock out Silva for so long that he should have kept it standing. I knew Silva wanted a straight knockout. He never even attempt to try and take him down. I think it was classy he wanted to put on a show for the fans. Other than those 2 takedowns for points, Liddell did great too for the fans.

GSP was a complete monster in that match. It looked like Hughes was a rookie there. He just got ripped apart. I hope he doesnt retire though, I want him to fight Serra still. But it looks like GSP will fight him first since there is a UFC in montreal in April i think. If Serra doesnt heal in time then i guess it will be Hughes up first.

• 5 weeks later...

Lesnar's athletic abilities are ridiculous. (even the Minnesota Vikings said so) If he is able to hone his striking and submission skills, he could turn out to be a decent fighter. I imagine his ground game and grappling skills will be solid because of his background in wrestling. (real wrestling, not WWE)

I also imagine that the UFC wants Lesnar to be successful, as he could become a BIG marketing centerpiece. Say what you want about the guy, but he definitely has charisma.

Very psyched for tomorrow. I'm hoping Lesnar does well. He looks like he's going to, and Mir hasn't been the same since the bike accident.

Yay, a Tim Sylvia fight. Apparently he's still trying to win the crowd over. Go Minatauro.

Don't know if anyone's noticed but Jeremy Horn taked on Nate Marquardt. It's his first fight in the UFC since early '06. Should be interesting as well.