The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Tyron Woodley deserves all of the criticism he gets. He fights to not lose now that he is a champion. Dana White is right when he $&!#s on him. Woodley can't carry a card. Imagine that card without the main event? He doesn't deserve GSP. 

The result of the Lawler/Cerrone fight doesn't hurt or really improve either fights stock. Was a close fight, an entertaining one at that. 

Cyborg rekt another innocent bystander and I'm happy she is finally going to get the respect she deserves.

Jon Jones destroyed DC I loved every second of it. Nothing against DC but now we get to watch Jones do work on all of the wannabes. Would love to see the Gusfavsson rematch. The Lesnar fight does less for me than the Floyd/McGregor fight but I'd still watch both.

3 hours ago, canuck204 said:

Tyron Woodley deserves all of the criticism he gets. He fights to not lose now that he is a champion. Dana White is right when he $&!#s on him. Woodley can't carry a card. Imagine that card without the main event? He doesn't deserve GSP. 

The result of the Lawler/Cerrone fight doesn't hurt or really improve either fights stock. Was a close fight, an entertaining one at that. 

Cyborg rekt another innocent bystander and I'm happy she is finally going to get the respect she deserves.

Jon Jones destroyed DC I loved every second of it. Nothing against DC but now we get to watch Jones do work on all of the wannabes. Would love to see the Gusfavsson rematch. The Lesnar fight does less for me than the Floyd/McGregor fight but I'd still watch both.

GSP doesn't even deserve a title shot, but the champion should get the payday so Woodley gets it. Going to be a boring fight considering GSP/Woodley are similar champions. Stick GSP in there with Wonderboy or Lawler, someone that'll actually try to drag an exciting fight out of GSP. 

Jones should move up to heavyweight after the Gustavsson rematch, there's not much left for him to do. LHW is a really weak division outside of DC and Jones. 

Edited by TheHitman

16 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

GSP doesn't even deserve a title shot, but the champion should get the payday so Woodley gets it. Going to be a boring fight considering GSP/Woodley are similar champions. Stick GSP in there with Wonderboy or Lawler, someone that'll actually try to drag an exciting fight out of GSP. 

Jones should move up to heavyweight after the Gustavsson rematch, there's not much left for him to do. LHW is a really weak division outside of DC and Jones. 

Eh someone who leaves the sport on top of his game known as one of the best P4P fighters probably does deserve a rematch when he comes back. I just don't think Woodley deserves that kind of a moneyfight. I would argue that GSP has been known as a all around fighter who out-classes his opponents and it's not always the most entertaining but Woodley straight up fled the whole time. Broke a record for the least amount of strikes thrown ever. Definitely some similarities, but I feel they're different. I personally don't even really look forward to seeing GSP come back. His last 2 fights before his break were near-misses. Does nothing for me.

Jones needs to get back to power-lifting and move up to heavyweight I agree. A rematch with Gustavvson would be great, and maybe a fight with Rumble if he came back and won a fight first. He was interviewed today about being into coming back for the right amount of money to fight against Jones.

11 minutes ago, canuck204 said:

Eh someone who leaves the sport on top of his game known as one of the best P4P fighters probably does deserve a rematch when he comes back. I just don't think Woodley deserves that kind of a moneyfight. I would argue that GSP has been known as a all around fighter who out-classes his opponents and it's not always the most entertaining but Woodley straight up fled the whole time. Broke a record for the least amount of strikes thrown ever. Definitely some similarities, but I feel they're different. I personally don't even really look forward to seeing GSP come back. His last 2 fights before his break were near-misses. Does nothing for me.

Jones needs to get back to power-lifting and move up to heavyweight I agree. A rematch with Gustavvson would be great, and maybe a fight with Rumble if he came back and won a fight first. He was interviewed today about being into coming back for the right amount of money to fight against Jones.

GSP has been gone for so long and seems to keep pushing back his return. It's very difficult to have a boring fight with Nick Diaz, but he managed to do that after running from him for almost a year. I'm not even sure whether people even want to him fight now tbh. The only redeemable quality that Woodley really has is his willingness to fight often. The UFC is lacking star power big time now that Rousey, McGregor, Silva, and the Diaz brothers will most likely never fight in the UFC again. Brock/Jones is probably the last big fight we'll see. 

Also, Bisping on GSP/Woodley:

Edited by TheHitman

On 7/31/2017 at 1:14 PM, TheHitman said:

GSP has been gone for so long and seems to keep pushing back his return. It's very difficult to have a boring fight with Nick Diaz, but he managed to do that after running from him for almost a year. I'm not even sure whether people even want to him fight now tbh.

Completely disagree. 

Also it is kind of hard to say GSP was running from him when GSP was actually injured and Diaz was coming off of a 13 month suspension for marijuana. Its a bull$&!# suspension, but it explains why the fight took so long. GSP made Diaz question whether he wanted to keep fighting anymore.

Edited by Down by the River

10 hours ago, HI5 said:

Anyone familiar with this news of Canada Pension Plan purchasing an 8% share of UFC to diversify their portfolio? 

They're buying a piece of the UFC's parent company, WME-IMG.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/8/2/16086274/canadian-and-singaporean-funds-to-invest-1-1-billion-into-wme-img

The UFC’s owners are staying large and in charge.

WME-IMG is expected to receive a $1.1 billion investment primarily involving a Canadian pension plan fund and a Singaporean wealth fund, with the deal expected to be negotiated by mid-August, according to entertainment news site The Wrap.

The investment will boost WME-IMG’s value from a $5.5 billion in 2016 to $6.3 billion.

Per The Wrap, Silver Lake Partners (a major WME-IMG stakeholder) sent out a letter to investors informing them that this move will allow for the buying out of the UFC’s minority partners and provide additional funding for various projects.

The foreign investors in question are the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board and the Government of Singapore Investment Fund, both of whom are already in limited partnership with Silver Lake.

Berto, last man to box Mayweather, believes McGregor can score KO

Mitch SandersonAug 7 2017, 3:41 PM

The last man to fight Floyd Mayweather isn't buying what most boxing purists are selling in the lead-up to the 40-year-old's bout with Conor McGregor. In fact, he believes "The Notorious" can walk away with a win.

Andre Berto fought Mayweather in September 2015, losing by unanimous decision, so he knows as well as anyone what the undefeated boxer is like in present day. Yet, the confidence he sees in McGregor is enough to convince Berto that the Irishman can knock Mayweather out.

"When it comes to Conor, I tell people: He's a star," Berto said on "The MMA Hour" Monday, according to MMA Fighting's Marc Raimondi. "For some reason under that pressure and under those lights and under that atmosphere, he knows how to rise to the occasion. It doesn't matter what the situation is, he's one of those special guys that really can thrive in these types of environments, man.

"I just don't put too much past him. I've been able to see and able to go to a few of this fights and really see how he really soaks up that atmosphere and he gets energy from it, where a lot of people really break down or it allows them to fold. He gets energy from that and he knows how to thrive. If it was a guy in the UFC or MMA that can do it, I believe he would be the one, for sure."

Berto believes it is completely within the realm of possibility that Mayweather will do what he always does in putting on a technical boxing clinic en route to defensively outpointing McGregor.

However, he also sees a scenario with "The Notorious" coming out on top.

"I see Conor coming in there really showing that bravado, showing that cockiness, and showing that he's really there to fight," Berto said. "And somewhat trying to steal the stage from Floyd just with his antics and he kind of gets Floyd into a mind-game situation, has him pulling some type of mistakes and (Mayweather) gets caught with a big shot and gets hurt. And (McGregor) could stop him."

Mayweather: 'On paper' matchup 'leans toward' McGregor

Arun SrinivasanAug 8 2017, 7:01 PM

Floyd Mayweather has yet to cede any advantage toward Conor McGregor ahead of their upcoming bout, but acknowledged his opponent's refined skill set Tuesday.

Mayweather and McGregor square off Aug. 26 in the first professional boxing match of the latter's career.

McGregor is considered a heavy underdog by most, but Mayweather acknowledged it could be a more difficult fight than some anticipate.

"He's a lot younger. When you look at myself and Conor McGregor on paper, he's taller, has a longer reach, he's a bigger man from top to bottom. He's a lot younger, so youth is on his side," Mayweather said to ESPN's Stephen A. Smith. "And I've been off a couple of years. And I'm in my 40s. So, if you look at everything on paper, it leans toward Conor McGregor."

Mayweather turned 40 in February and conceded he's no longer close to his prime, which is why he didn't rule out McGregor's chances entirely.

"I'm not the same fighter I was two years ago. I'm not the same fighter I was five years ago. I lost a step," Mayweather said. "A fighter like Andre Berto isn't even supposed to go the distance with Floyd Mayweather, but remember, I was 38. It's obvious I'm slipping a little bit to even let a fighter like Andre Berto go the distance with me.

Mayweather gained a reputation for being an overtly defensive fighter but hinted at a more aggressive approach against McGregor. 

"This can't be a defensive fight. I have to go to him," Mayweather said. "I owe the public because of the (Manny) Pacquiao fight. They weren't please with that.

They're gonna be pleased with this fight here."

13 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Mayweather: 'On paper' matchup 'leans toward' McGregor

Arun SrinivasanAug 8 2017, 7:01 PM

Floyd Mayweather has yet to cede any advantage toward Conor McGregor ahead of their upcoming bout, but acknowledged his opponent's refined skill set Tuesday.

Mayweather and McGregor square off Aug. 26 in the first professional boxing match of the latter's career.

McGregor is considered a heavy underdog by most, but Mayweather acknowledged it could be a more difficult fight than some anticipate.

"He's a lot younger. When you look at myself and Conor McGregor on paper, he's taller, has a longer reach, he's a bigger man from top to bottom. He's a lot younger, so youth is on his side," Mayweather said to ESPN's Stephen A. Smith. "And I've been off a couple of years. And I'm in my 40s. So, if you look at everything on paper, it leans toward Conor McGregor."

Mayweather turned 40 in February and conceded he's no longer close to his prime, which is why he didn't rule out McGregor's chances entirely.

"I'm not the same fighter I was two years ago. I'm not the same fighter I was five years ago. I lost a step," Mayweather said. "A fighter like Andre Berto isn't even supposed to go the distance with Floyd Mayweather, but remember, I was 38. It's obvious I'm slipping a little bit to even let a fighter like Andre Berto go the distance with me.

Mayweather gained a reputation for being an overtly defensive fighter but hinted at a more aggressive approach against McGregor. 

"This can't be a defensive fight. I have to go to him," Mayweather said. "I owe the public because of the (Manny) Pacquiao fight. They weren't please with that.

They're gonna be pleased with this fight here."

I don't believe him this is about getting a big as a payout as possible. He is selling the fight he needs the money to get the tax man off his ass.

Edited by Chip Kelly
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Silky mitts said:

Jones stripped of his title, tested positive for steroids. His fighting days are about done.. what a waste of talent unreal

Jones hasn't been stripped of the title quite yet.  He still has to go through his appeals before CSAC makes a ruling on the USADA findings.  However, if his "B" sample comes up dirty, he's screwed.  The UFC pulled in huge buys for UFC 214 so they are praying that the back-up sample comes up clean.

1 hour ago, HI5 said:

UFC must really hate Jones..70% of their roster on the juice. Jones is an incredible talent..you gotta find a way to keep him around.

The UFC has nothing to do with the drug testing.  USADA is independent.  UFC only writes the checks for the costs.  USADA has an excellent reputation.  Their testing is often done at state of the art labs.  Many times at Universities.

Dana White said, "Thank God Jon Jones is back" after he saw the PPV buys that UFC 214 pulled in.  This is horrible news for the UFC.  DC's buys come in around 300-400k per event.  Jones' buys hover around 750k-a million.

It also scrubs any future high selling match between Brock and Jones.

• Upvote 1