The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

11 hours ago, JV77 said:

UFC 217 one of the if not best cards I've ever seen!  Also seeing all the people I want to win all win, adds to it.

Up to GSP to decide what his next move is, but I want to see go back down to 175 and fight Woodley.  TWood will be a much tougher match up than Bisping.

Welterweight in the UFC is 170, not 175.

Edited by SabreFan1
@Bizarre pointed out my goof-up.

9 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Card of the year. Possibly best card I've ever watched. Happy with all 3 main fight results. 

It is easy to forget that we saw a spinning elbow KO, a KO head kick, a DQ due to a headkick during a stoppage, and a near-DQ due to soccer-style headkick on the ground... all before the PPV even started.

I'm excited to go back and watch the GSP fight with the volume on. 

Edited by Down by the River

1 hour ago, Bizarre said:

Swing and a miss. Welterweight.

Card was great, curious to see where GSP goes from here.

You're right.  I have the GSP Middleweight (185) fight on the brain.  I've been having enough brain farts lately that it's starting to be concerning.  :wacko:

Edited by SabreFan1

5 hours ago, HI5 said:

Theirs a video of Dana White sayin GSP v Whittaker in Feb. Don't know anything abt that guy..but I'm guessing GSP works on his conditioning at this new weight and stays in this weight class now. 

Whittker used to be a welterweight, so of the killers in the middlewight division (Romero, Rockhold, especially), its not that bad a matchup for GSP. However, I don't think GSP came back to do what he did before.... defend his belt over and over and over again against the best in the world. 

I think he is looking for $ and for history. He's not going to let Dana White dictate his fights.

If anyone wants to be jacked up going into work tomorrow morning:

GSP's walkout song.

Edited by Down by the River
  • Upvote 1

Just listened to GSP's interview with Helwani. I really don't think he stays at 185. He was getting sick through fight camp because of the amount of food he had to eat. When he walked out to fight Bisping, he weighed only 192. I imagine Bisping was closer to 220lbs, which makes what Georges did all the more impressive.

I'd like to see Woodley fight the winner of Lawler/RDA and then GSP fight the winner of that fight.

On 11/5/2017 at 6:36 PM, Down by the River said:

Whittker used to be a welterweight, so of the killers in the middlewight division (Romero, Rockhold, especially), its not that bad a matchup for GSP. However, I don't think GSP came back to do what he did before.... defend his belt over and over and over again against the best in the world. 

I think he is looking for $ and for history. He's not going to let Dana White dictate his fights.

If anyone wants to be jacked up going into work tomorrow morning:

GSP's walkout song.

Pretty sure White said it's in GSP contract that his has to defend his title if he wins it. That's why White is saying he is fighting Whittaker but it's pretty clear GSP wants to go back down to welter weight. Will be interesting to see what he does.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Yup. This is why you don't take a fight against a top prospect 2 weeks after a title defense. 

Bisping had a medical suspension from NYSAC and not a single governing body in the States would sanction this fight. Ultimately it is Bisping's decision, but this was a big risk and hopefully it won't have long-lasting effects.

5 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Bisping had a medical suspension from NYSAC and not a single governing body in the States would sanction this fight. Ultimately it is Bisping's decision, but this was a big risk and hopefully it won't have long-lasting effects.

I'm aware. He was the one who asked Dana for the fight. 

It will 100% have long-lasting effects. He's been knocked out a multiple occasions and has had severe brain blows for almost 2 decades. The impact will be felt soon enough. 

Edited by RRypien37

Scariest knock out I have ever seen in the UFC...Francis power is the real deal. I wasn't really buying all the hype at first. Just scary. Mike Tyson vibes...

Reem was out cold before he hit the ground, toes curling back and eyes rolling...

6 hours ago, JV77 said:

Yup great card!

Ngannou is damn scary.  He almost has too much power that is dangerous.

4 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Scariest knock out I have ever seen in the UFC...Francis power is the real deal. I wasn't really buying all the hype at first. Just scary. Mike Tyson vibes...

Reem was out cold before he hit the ground, toes curling back and eyes rolling...

He could definitely end up dominating the HW division for a long time.  Now Miocic has no choice but to fight him.  The rest of that division can no longer continue to duck and hide if he beats Miocic for the belt.

Edited by SabreFan1

7 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

He could definitely end up dominating the HW division for a long time.  Now Miocic has no choice but to fight him.  The rest of that division can no longer continue to duck and hide if he beats Miocic for the belt.

I think he takes the belt no question.  To me, Ngannou is the favorite going into the title match, it will say a lot more if Stipe is able to put a stop to him.