The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

6 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

There is no "fix". You can't fix what you don't have. His stand up is average at best. He needs to improve it not fix it. Not denying that he dominated. Al was #11 ranked coming in and never faced someone on Khabibs level. My point is like everyone else, Khabib has flaws, and isn't invincible. 

No fighter is or ever will be invincible. 

Khabib's biggest problem with his stand-up game is his sh*tty movement, body and head.  He keeps his chin up and on the centre line.  That most definitely can be "fixed". 

Except for the chin, Ronda has the same problem.  Her coach tried to "fix" it, but she refused, and got lit up twice, and is basically in MMA retirement as a result.

That said, Khabib's strength is his wrestling/ground and pound.  Even that has flaws.  His submission game, while not broken, needs more work. 

As it stands right now, Khabib couldn't beat Tony Ferguson in a pure standup bout, and his wrestling ability is only minimally to moderately better.  If he's smart, he ducks Tony, if possible for the next year while he improves his game and "fixes" his problems.

I think people are making too much of the Khabib's standup. It was bad, but it was pretty clear that he hadn't been working on it at all during training camp given how angry his corner was for not sticking to the clear game plan. Khabib always has been known as a fairly one-dimensional fighter. The problem for others is that he is insanely good at grappling and wrestling and that these are pretty big features of MMA. I think he would beat Conor handily. As would Ferguson. Ferguson and Khabib are closer than the odds indicated (Khabib the heavy favorite). 

2 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Not too many MMA fans on these boards eh?

Past weekends UFC on Fox was better than the last PPV. Main event was amazing. 

This isn't really related to your point, but I just realized that this is probably the longest-running thread on CDC (11 years). I think if more fans were on CDC, the thread would have been shut down years ago for trolling, going off-topic, etc. 

• Upvote 1

Just watched the Edgar-Ortega fight. The size difference was unreal. This is why I hate all the weight-cutting. Those two do not belong in the same division. I want to see guys of equal size fight so that we can determine who is the better fighter. Reminded me of when Hendriks fought Costa at 185 and it looked like Costa might kill him. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Might have to raise the weight limit for both of them if that fight was to be scheduled.

That was the first time Lee ever missed weight. Khabib has a new nutritionist as of 2 fights ago and hasn't had any problems. I think the weight cutting in this sport is beyond stupid but they are fine at 155 at this point.  

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Just watched the Edgar-Ortega fight. The size difference was unreal. This is why I hate all the weight-cutting. Those two do not belong in the same division. I want to see guys of equal size fight so that we can determine who is the better fighter. Reminded me of when Hendriks fought Costa at 185 and it looked like Costa might kill him. 

Agreed. Darren Till is one of the worst. When he fought Cowboy it was ridiculous. Apparently Till walked into the cage at 201 pounds (170 weight class). He says he walks around at 210-220 between fights. 

56 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Agreed. Darren Till is one of the worst. When he fought Cowboy it was ridiculous. Apparently Till walked into the cage at 201 pounds (170 weight class). He says he walks around at 210-220 between fights. 

I forgot about that one, but it might be the best example. It doesn't even feel like a sport when I watch this happen. Its like watching Troy Stetcher drop the gloves with Matt Martin and you just hope that someone else will jump in. Guys are going to cut as much weight as possible, not just because they think it is an advantage for them, but because they assume that their opponent is going to be doing it too. If the UFC could change the rules where you have to register at a certain walk-around weight and be subject to USADA-like inspection (e.g., if you are greater than 2% of your walk-around weight you get suspended) and then only be allowed to cut a certain percentage of your walk-around weight. 

• 3 weeks later...

Dern missing weight by an entire weight class is a joke. There should be stiffer punishments for missing weight. I wonder if there are any stats out there regarding the records of fighters that fight after missing weight? This might be a tactical move by some fighters. Sure, you lose 10-20% of your purse, but maybe that's worth it if you increase your chances of a win bonus and have another win on your record, which increases your likelihood of getting a more well-paying fight next time around. 

On 5/12/2018 at 7:41 AM, Down by the River said:

Dern missing weight by an entire weight class is a joke. There should be stiffer punishments for missing weight. I wonder if there are any stats out there regarding the records of fighters that fight after missing weight? This might be a tactical move by some fighters. Sure, you lose 10-20% of your purse, but maybe that's worth it if you increase your chances of a win bonus and have another win on your record, which increases your likelihood of getting a more well-paying fight next time around. 

I like it.  I personally would go a step further and have the weigh-in directly before the fight.  Miss weight?  DQ.

26 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I like it.  I personally would go a step further and have the weigh-in directly before the fight.  Miss weight?  DQ.

I don't know where to verify it, but I read that in 2018, fighters that missed weight were 6-0...

So for example, if you're Alvarez or Porier, and you know that if you win this upcoming fight, you're fighting for the belt, why wouldn't you take the advantage of missing weight? You might lose a percentage of your purse, but you'll make that money back when you get a chance to fight for the title. 

Edited by Down by the River

32 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I don't know where to verify it, but I read that in 2018, fighters that missed weight were 6-0...

So for example, if you're Alvarez or Porier, and you know that if you win this upcoming fight, you're fighting for the belt, why wouldn't you take the advantage of missing weight? You might lose a percentage of your purse, but you'll make that money back when you get a chance to fight for the title. 

For a few reasons, I doubt they would give them the title fight if that were the circumstances. Another is respect for the other fighters and sport, it's the same reason fighters don't intentionally kick someone below the belt or poke them in the eyes..

Dern was a joke though, and they should force her to fight at the higher weight class.

3 minutes ago, Bizarre said:

For a few reasons, I doubt they would give them the title fight if that were the circumstances. Another is respect for the other fighters and sport, it's the same reason fighters don't intentionally kick someone below the belt or poke them in the eyes..

Dern was a joke though, and they should force her to fight at the higher weight class.

This scenario literally just happened (Romero came in overweight, won, and now gets to fight for the title). 

I completely agree about respect for fighters though. This is supposed to be a sport. You should take pride in believing that you beat someone, not because of a physical advantage (aside from two people of equal weight but different strength), but because you were the better fighter. 

28 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

This scenario literally just happened (Romero came in overweight, won, and now gets to fight for the title). 

I completely agree about respect for fighters though. This is supposed to be a sport. You should take pride in believing that you beat someone, not because of a physical advantage (aside from two people of equal weight but different strength), but because you were the better fighter. 

Scenario was slightly different though. He was already supposed to be fighting for the title and only came in 2.7 pounds over weight. I mean it's not good but it isn't as egregious.

14 minutes ago, Bizarre said:

Scenario was slightly different though. He was already supposed to be fighting for the title and only came in 2.7 pounds over weight. I mean it's not good but it isn't as egregious.

Agreed that it is definitely not as bad, but considering things at 155, who would get the title shot if not Dustin or Eddie? The answer: Kevin Lee (AKA the other guy that missed weight). 

Anyway, maybe you're right that this is a risky strategy for guys looking for a title shot, but I'm just getting sick of MMA becoming more about cutting enough weight to be bigger than your opponent on fight night, not cutting weight to have an energy/weight advantage, or fights getting cancelled because of weight issues. I feel like this is something that fans, fighters, and promoters all want.

21 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Agreed that it is definitely not as bad, but considering things at 155, who would get the title shot if not Dustin or Eddie? The answer: Kevin Lee (AKA the other guy that missed weight). 

Anyway, maybe you're right that this is a risky strategy for guys looking for a title shot, but I'm just getting sick of MMA becoming more about cutting enough weight to be bigger than your opponent on fight night, not cutting weight to have an energy/weight advantage, or fights getting cancelled because of weight issues. I feel like this is something that fans, fighters, and promoters all want.

I agree completely they need to figure something out, they need to have stiffer penalties for missing weight as well. I wouldn't be opposed to some drastic changes that alter what weight class the majority of fighters fight in. After a year or two everything would settle back down.  

• 2 weeks later...