The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Just now, canuckledraggin said:

My prediction doesn't hold up. What a terrible stoppage though. It's a superfight and they didn't let him go out on his shield. I saw better referring on the undercard.

He looked like Skeletor at the weigh-in.  The cut to 125 was too much for TJ.  Cejudo ragdolled him as a result.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

He looked like Skeletor at the weigh-in.  The cut to 125 was too much for TJ.  Cejudo ragdolled him as a result.

Indeed. You could see his skull at the weigh-ins. I thought the fight was stopped early though. If the guy is willing to sacrifice himself before the fight, then he should be given that same respect during the fight.

Indeed. You could see his skull at the weigh-ins. I thought the fight was stopped early though. If the guy is willing to sacrifice himself before the fight, then he should be given that same respect during the fight.

It was definitely stopped too early, but the writing was on the wall.  TJ couldn't even stay on his feet.  I'm glad it was stopped when it was.  That means we'll get another superfight even sooner at 135.  Had TJ gone out on his shield, he would have needed months to recover.

There just wasn't ending a strike that ended the fight. It was a referee stoppage and they all suck

It was definitely stopped too early, but the writing was on the wall.  TJ couldn't even stay on his feet.  I'm glad it was stopped when it was.  That means we'll get another superfight even sooner at 135.  Had TJ gone out on his shield, he would have needed months to recover. 

If a fighter can't even stay on his feet after he gets up, he's in an extremely vunerable position.  TJ went down 4 times in a span of 30 seconds.  The stoppage, although too quickly done, was the right call in order to keep TJ from inevitably taking too much unnecessary damage.

It sucks for TJ and his fanboys, but the real fight will be at 135.

• Upvote 1

But for a fight of that magnitude, the referee turns into the decider. Did you watch the Texeira fight? There are plenty of examples of fights that should have gone longer or stopped earlier. I don't think we got the result from tonight that proved anything

Just now, Gnarcore said:

That Hardy fight was an absolute joke. That had no business being on TV let alone co main....   I loved when the other guy taunted him though.  

TV is fine, but it probably should have been in the prelims on the main channel just before Cowboy's fight.

Crowder can taunt all he wants though, he was still losing that fight and would have likely been taken out by KO had it gone on much longer.

Luckily for him, Hardy is inexperienced and has impulse control problems.  It enabled him to snatch a win out of the jaws of defeat.

6 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

But for a fight of that magnitude, the referee turns into the decider. Did you watch the Texeira fight? There are plenty of examples of fights that should have gone longer or stopped earlier. I don't think we got the result from tonight that proved anything

I watched all of the fights. 

Why do you have a problem with a first round submission?  The ref is required to end a fight once a combatant taps out.

Edited by SabreFan1

I watched all of the fights. 

Why do you have a problem with a first round submission?  The ref is required to end a fight once a combatant taps out.

If the ref in the main event had stepped in and stopped the fight after all of those vicious elbows to Texiera's head, then he wouldn't have had an opportunity to come back. I think Dillishaw should have been KO'd to lose that fight.

6 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

If the ref in the main event had stepped in and stopped the fight after all of those vicious elbows to Texiera's head, then he wouldn't have had an opportunity to come back. I think Dillishaw should have been KO'd to lose that fight.

He very nearly did stop it but Glover intelligently defended himself when he grabbed his opponent's leg to drag him down so the ref backed off.

TJ wasn't intelligently defending himself.  He just kept getting dropped and taking punishment.

Edited by SabreFan1
Just checked the replay. Different Ref.

19 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

He very nearly did stop it but Glover intelligently defended himself when he grabbed his opponent's leg to drag him down so the ref backed off.

TJ wasn't intelligently defending himself.  He just kept getting dropped and taking punishment.

I watched it a few times and I thought it was an early stoppage. I'll watch it a few more I suppose and it's so much easier to make the decision after the fact, but I still haven't seen an angle that leads me to be believe that it wasn't a quick stoppage.

Interested to see when or if this link gets banned.

https://www.mma-core.com/videos

I watched it a few times and I thought it was an early stoppage. I'll watch it a few more I suppose and it's so much easier to make the decision after the fact, but I still haven't seen an angle that leads me to be believe that it wasn't a quick stoppage.

Interested to see when or if this link gets banned.

https://www.mma-core.com/videos

Did you forget I wrote this to you earlier?

41 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

1 minute ago, canuckledraggin said:

Writing on the wall is a weird subjective thing and it's my whole point. A fight of that magnitude needs to be left until a winner is decided. The crowd was booing the initial decision. Herb Dean should ref these big fights.

Herb goofed up a couple of main events.  That's why he hasn't been as prominent lately.

58 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

TV is fine, but it probably should have been in the prelims on the main channel just before Cowboy's fight.

Crowder can taunt all he wants though, he was still losing that fight and would have likely been taken out by KO had it gone on much longer.

Luckily for him, Hardy is inexperienced and has impulse control problems.  It enabled him to snatch a win out of the jaws of defeat.

It will be hard to find a HW on the roster for Hardy to beat with what we saw tonight. They'll drag up some bum I'm sure. I love me some freakshow fights being a fan since early 2000s and Pride. Maybe bring Minowaman out of retirement! 

Your sig needs to be changed. Make is a 3 punch combo with Skinner :p

Edited by Gnarcore