The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Kind of a yawner of a ppv tonight.

- Fitch vs Wilson was terrible. Very boring fight.

- Okami made Tanner look old. I thought he'd be much better.

- Leben vs Sakara was easily my favourite fight of the night. How can you not like a brawler like Leben?? Awesome stuff!

- Herring knew what he was doing. He lost the first round but came back and just used his weight to lay on top of Kongo and inflict "Damage". Garbage fight.

- Silva vs Henderson could have been so much better. It was a great scrap up until Dan decided to throw flailing punches (still confused as to why he did that) early in round two, then Silva just caught with that knee and it was downhill from there. Wish he hung in there late.

Kinda sucked we only got to see the one preliminary fight, albeit a really good one. Koschek may be annoying botch but man he can fight!!

You obviously haven't watched UFC very long. How can you say Silva hasn't fought anyone near the caliber that GSP has fought?

Do you realize that nobody thought that Rich Franklin could be defeated when he was dominating his division? Franklin had one loss prior to fighting Silva and was a beast in all his fights. However, when it came time to fight Silva he got absolutely dominated, all in the first round. The reason Franklin "walked into the punches" is because he couldnt get away from Silva and his Thai clinch. Franklin said himself that he couldn't pull from it. Silva also fought Chris Leben who is tough as nails and finished him early in the first round.

Ive been watching UFC probably long before you have. Since UFC 2. Missed some in the middle there but tried to catch the ones i missed.

Silva hasn't even come close to the type of fighters GSP has fought. Almost all these guys are top ranked fighters that hes fought back to back since coming to the UFC.

Win Matt Hughes Verbal Submission (Armbar) UFC 79 - Nemesis 12/29/2007 2 4:54

Win Josh Koscheck Decision (Unanimous) UFC 74 - Respect 8/25/2007 3 5:00

Loss Matt Serra TKO (Punches) UFC 69 - Shootout 4/7/2007 1 3:25

Win Matt Hughes TKO (Strikes) UFC 65 - Bad Intentions 11/18/2006 2 1:25

Win B.J. Penn Decision (Split) UFC 58 - USA vs Canada 3/4/2006 3 5:00

Win Sean Sherk TKO (Strikes) UFC 56 - Full Force 11/19/2005 2 2:53

Win Frank Trigg Submission (Rear Naked Choke) UFC 54 - Boiling Point 8/20/2005 1 4:09

Win Jason Miller Decision (Unanimous) UFC 52 - Couture vs Liddell 2 4/16/2005 3 5:00

Win Dave Strasser Submission (Kimura) TKO 19 - Rage 1/29/2005 1 1:52

Loss Matt Hughes Submission (Armbar) UFC 50 - The War of '04 10/22/2004 1 4:59

Win Jay Hieron TKO (Punches) UFC 48 - Payback 6/19/2004 1 1:42

Win Karo Parisyan Decision (Unanimous) UFC 46 - Supernatural 1/31/2004 3 5:00

Silva

Win Dan Henderson Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) UFC 82 - Pride of a Champion 3/1/2008 2 4:52

Win Rich Franklin TKO (Strikes) UFC 77 - Hostile Territory 10/20/2007 2 1:07

Win Nathan Marquardt TKO (Strikes) UFC 73 - Stacked 7/7/2007 1 4:50

Win Travis Lutter Submission (Elbows) UFC 67 - All or Nothing 2/3/2007 2 2:11

Win Rich Franklin TKO (Strikes) UFC 64 - Unstoppable 10/14/2006 1 2:59

Win Chris Leben KO (Knee) UFC - Ultimate Fight Night 5 6/28/2006 1 0:49

Win Tony Fryklund KO (Elbow) CR 16 - Critical Condition 4/22/2006 1 2:02

Loss Yushin Okami DQ (Illegal Kick) ROTR 8 - Rumble on the Rock 8 1/20/2006 1 2:33

Win Curtis Stout KO CR 14 - Punishment 12/3/2005 1 4:59

Win Jorge Rivera TKO CR 11 - Face Off 4/30/2005 2 3:53

Loss Ryo Chonan Submission (Flying Scissor Heel Hook) PRIDE - Shockwave 2004 12/31/2004 3 3:08

Win Lee Murray Decision (Unanimous) CR 8 - Knights of the Octagon 9/11/2004 3 5:00

Most of these guys are average fighters in the middleweight.

Franklin was on a role but he fought very poorly. Dan Henderson reiterated the same thing too. That the middleweight division is weak and Silva should not be labelled best pound for pound. He said GSP and BJ Penn should have that title.

Chris Leben got beat by 2 Canadian guys too Kalib Starnes and Jason McDonald who are good but not great.

It seems you just watch UFC. Have you ever checked out some of the pride fighters? Shogun has more title to the p4p throne even though he lost his last one fighting injured.

Loss Forrest Griffin Submission (Rear Naked Choke) UFC 76 - Knockout 9/22/2007 3 4:45

Win Alistair Overeem KO (Punches) PRIDE 33 - Second Coming 2/24/2007 1 3:37

Win Kazuhiro Nakamura Decision (Unanimous) PRIDE - Shockwave 2006 12/31/2006 3 5:00

Win Kevin Randleman Submission (Kneebar) PRIDE 32 - The Real Deal 10/21/2006 1 2:35

Win Cyrille Diabate TKO (Stomps) PRIDE - Final Conflict Absolute 9/10/2006 1 5:29

Loss Mark Coleman TKO (Broken Arm) PRIDE 31 - Dreamers 2/26/2006 1 0:49

Win Ricardo Arona KO (Strikes) PRIDE - Final Conflict 2005 8/28/2005 1 2:54

Win Alistair Overeem TKO (Strikes) PRIDE - Final Conflict 2005 8/28/2005 1 6:42

Win Antonio Rogerio Nogueira Decision (Unaminous) PRIDE - Critical Countdown 2005 6/26/2005 3 5:00

Win Quinton Jackson KO (Strikes) PRIDE - Total Elimination 2005 4/23/2005 1 4:47

these are what you call quality fighters.

or a BJ Penn who fought in LW, Welterweight and nearly beat LHW undefeated Machida at k-1. Wanderlei Silva has lost his last couple but hes fought some quality opponents. Fedor Emelianko has fought some cans but hes fought some big time guys too. Hes beat big nog 3 times in pride and heath herring.

Take a look at the guys these people have fought, then look at who Anderson Silva has fought. Then you will see how weak middleweight is. Paul Filho and Matt Lindland, some top middleweight arent even in the UFC. It was good that he beat Henderson today but hes a really good fighter, but hasnt fought enough truly great fighter to be called p4p best. He was 5-0 in the UFC (3-0 if you exclude Franklin 2x) and hes the best p4p? His fights before that were mostly average too.

If you take out the Franklin fight, and take out Hughes from GSP, its not even close at the quality of opponents. WW division is so deep.

do yourself a favour, watch pride fighting as well. not just ufc.

Nice research Pfizer.

I could see Roger Huerta becoming the next best pound-for-pound fighter. If he wins his next fight, I can see him being the #1 contender to B.J.... I say B.J. because he will destroy Sean Sherk and will remain the champ.

Also, Thiago Silva is insane. This guy looks like he's gonna be unstoppable.

But yah, I definetly agree that GSP is the best pfp fighter on the planet right now. So unbelievably well-rounded.

When does Lesnar go next? That's the only time I've ever watched this.

Apparently he's fighting former Heavyweight (first ever actually) champion Mark "The Hammer" Coleman in August. Should be entertaining to say the least, as long as Lesnar learns how to actually fight.

Every time I think of Coleman, I think of when Pete Williams booted him in the face, knocking him out cold at UFC 17. I remember watching that live and everyone did the "Ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!" when he go the boot!

Nice research Pfizer.

I could see Roger Huerta becoming the next best pound-for-pound fighter. If he wins his next fight, I can see him being the #1 contender to B.J.... I say B.J. because he will destroy Sean Sherk and will remain the champ.

Also, Thiago Silva is insane. This guy looks like he's gonna be unstoppable.

But yah, I definetly agree that GSP is the best pfp fighter on the planet right now. So unbelievably well-rounded.

thanks. Yeah Huerta is pretty cool to watch. I like how he used the bigscreen tv to throw elbows to the guy behind him. BJ is really something if only he would condition himself. Hes got so much raw talent. Thiago is pretty good but i guess we have to see some more fights out of him. Houston Alexander seemed like a tank before Thiago exposed his no ground game. I agree that he does seem like he has some firepower.

Every time I think of Coleman, I think of when Pete Williams booted him in the face, knocking him out cold at UFC 17. I remember watching that live and everyone did the "Ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!" when he go the boot!

haha :lol: everytime i think of coleman I think of 2 things.

1. this video http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7926249284426295741 At pride 31 shogun accidentally dislocated his arm and buy he kept coming at him even though the fight was finished. Then wanderlei stepped in to the ring and coleman stepped on his head when the axe murdere slipped and fell on the ring. Then this swearing match began backstage.

2. When Coleman got his donkey BEAT down by Fedor infront of Coleman's daughters. Oh man that so was so bad it was funny. His face was mashed up and his daughters came into the ring and he was like "im ok girls daddy is ok" and they started crying because his face was screwed up and bleeding in front of these 2 little girls. Man thats something to be like 8 years old and watch your dad get the living crap kicked out of him in front of you.

1. this video http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7926249284426295741 At pride 31 shogun accidentally dislocated his arm and buy he kept coming at him even though the fight was finished. Then wanderlei stepped in to the ring and coleman stepped on his head when the axe murdere slipped and fell on the ring. Then this swearing match began backstage.

2. When Coleman got his donkey BEAT down by Fedor infront of Coleman's daughters. Oh man that so was so bad it was funny. His face was mashed up and his daughters came into the ring and he was like "im ok girls daddy is ok" and they started crying because his face was screwed up and bleeding in front of these 2 little girls. Man thats something to be like 8 years old and watch your dad get the living crap kicked out of him in front of you.

1. Wow! Never seen or even heard about that before. Was that Rampage with Coleman???

2. Never seen this one either. I'd love to see a video of it. MMA Linker is down right now, so I can't look for it there.

1. Wow! Never seen or even heard about that before. Was that Rampage with Coleman???

2. Never seen this one either. I'd love to see a video of it. MMA Linker is down right now, so I can't look for it there.

haha yeah thats rampage.

heres the fedor fight. I watched it on PPV so it showed everything. This one only shows the fight though. Watch how colemans face looks after the beat down.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjtse_fedor-vs-coleman-ii

what they dont show you is his daughters coming into the ring in tears and him trying to get them to stop crying. it was brutal. Today Coleman came into the ring he brought his 2 girls into the ring again. messed up. hehe i think theyve seen enough MMA.

on a side note check this out. Hilarious coleman commercial with wanderlei.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1516070093130551292

seems they put their differences aside and shaved each other :D

This is why you should just never argue with Pfizer.

1) because everyone else likes him, your on your own. Unless theres no way yo can lose.

2) He researches like crazy. and blindsides you with knowlege and well thought out posts.

3) Every one likes him more than you.

The thing is you're basing everything on records and not the skill of the fighter itself. If you watch Silva's fights, he absolutely rolls through his opponents. Don't get me wrong, GSP is one of my favorite fighters and he's one of the best in the world, but he can't control fights like Anderson Silva does.

I don't follow Pride as much but I do realize they have world-class fighters over there, including Fedor, Wanderlei, and Mauricio.

The thing is you're basing everything on records and not the skill of the fighter itself. If you watch Silva's fights, he absolutely rolls through his opponents. Don't get me wrong, GSP is one of my favorite fighters and he's one of the best in the world, but he can't control fights like Anderson Silva does.

I don't follow Pride as much but I do realize they have world-class fighters over there, including Fedor, Wanderlei, and Mauricio.

No not at all. The problem is that your basing everything on how the fight goes. If a good fighter, fights average fighters its obviously going to make him look better. If you can do the same thing against a string of high caliber fighters, thats where you earn a p4p status. Not beating up chumps.

GSP rolls through high class fighters. He doesnt fight subpar fighters that make him look good. Wanderlei fought cro cop and mark hunt. This is a guy that looks for a challenge. Shogun's brother Ninja fought Quinton Jackson and beat him. (even though the decision went the other way rampage admits there was an error from judges.) Like i said, watch some previous pride videos. Their LHW and HW divisions were strong. WW in UFC is strong.

MW is iffy and sparse. Theres not enough talent in one organization to get a great reading.

You cant beat 4 guys and be called best p4p. After beating 4 guys he ran out of guys to fight. Thats why henderson came down. Thats pretty pathetic. He should move up. Its like GSP beating up Matt Hughes, Pariysian, Dave Strasser, Jay Hieron and then going well, no more people to fight now, im the best without facing miller, sherk, bj penn, kos etc.

I wouldnt consider GSP best p4p after 4 fights either. Its too little to make a conclusion. Dana White just says this crap to make UFC seem like the best. Thats why he constantly puts down Fedor as well by saying he sucks and praises Big Nog who got his @ss kicked by Emalianko.