The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

To all of the people saying Fedor is easily the best fighter in the world...

Have you actually seen him fight or are you just buying into the media hype? I honestly don't think he can be given that title until he shows how he can stand up against the best of the best in the UFC. And it doesn't look like that will be happening anytime soon.

Been watching Fedor fight since 2002 never missed one of his PPV's in that time on dish network. He's by far the best fighter I have ever seen. So none of it has to do with hype for me. That's not to say I'm positive Fedor would beat Brock. But I have yet to see him lose to anyone. Big, small, fast, strong, champions, gate keepers, you name it. They all have ended up on the losing end of the matches.

Love Griffin but I don't see him beating Silva unless he can keep it on the ground with dominant positioning

Agreed. But even if he gets the takedown, what is he gonna do from there?? Forrest is the man, but I think he's gonna lose Saturday. Sucks.

It will no longer be Rich Franklin vs. Dan Henderson. Rich Franklin will take on Vitor Belfort at UFC 103 and Henderson is in line to take on Silva.

Thanks skip! :lol:

So glad they changed that though. They must've immediately thought... "Uh, oops?". I'd rather it be Tito/Franklin but I'm sure this will be fine.

Early predictions for UFC 101:

Kenny Florian over BJ Penn

Anderson Silva over Forrest Griffin

Amir Sadollah over Johny Hendricks

Ricardo Almeida over Kendall Grove

Josh Neer over Kurt Pellegrino

Although I may change my Silva over Griffin prediction before the fight. (as crazy as it may sound)

i think griffin actually has a shot to win in this fight

UFC coming to Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal: Dana White

Outspoken president of the Ultimate Fighting Championship Dana White told the world something that he'd been telling The Sun for some time Thursday when he announced that the UFC would hold major mixed martial arts events in three Canadian cities in 2010.

The fact that two of the announced cities - Vancouver and Toronto - don't have regulatory bodies in place to handle such events, doesn't seem to be something that will stop the largest promoter of the world's fastest growing sport.

"We're coming," White told reporters earlier this week. "The UFC will be in Canada in 2010. We're coming to Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal."

The UFC is enjoying unprecedented growth and interest in Canada right now, with 16% of ticket sales for last month's UFC 100 event in Las Vegas coming from BC and Alberta alone. TV ratings and pay-per-view subscriptions in Canada are regularly touted by the organization as being the strongest in North America, and the city of Montreal, which has already hosted two UFC events and will host another next year, is the hub of a thriving local industry in the sport.

"We're softening up a lot of the provinces up there," White said at a press conference promoting UFC 101 in Philadelphia. "We're definitely going to Vancouver."

UFC officials told The Sun last month that June 2010 has been circled for a pay-per-view event at GM Place.

"Canada's been really difficult to navigate in," co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta told fans at the UFC Fan Expo last month. "It's an interesting situation because I think, pound for pound, the UFC is more popular in Canada than any other country including the U.S.A. I mean, it's amazing."

Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson has stated the city is behind the UFC bid to come to the northwest, but remains committed to convincing either national or provincial government to step up to regulate such an event, and others like it.

"We're hopeful we can resolve all this and host an event in 2010, but we still got some work to do," Robertson said to reporters recently.

Failing that, the mayor suggested a UFC event could be run as a 'test event' under the auspices of the Vancouver Athletic Commission, which oversaw the sport previously until Sam Sullivan's NPA-led council got cold feet on the topic of liability.

Councilors David Cadman and Ellen Woodsworth remain against the regulation of mixed martial arts, with Cadman recently complaining about the cost of policing such an event.

"I personally don't feel that the residents of Vancouver want to pay taxes to police this kind of event," Cadman told the CBC.

But those dissenting voices look destined to be drowned out. Councilor Heather Deal told The Sun earlier this year, "Within any group, there’s a spectrum of opinions, but the mayor has been quite decisive on this. There’s a difference between having an opinion and making appropriate policy decisions. Sometimes you vote for things you don’t personally want because a majority clearly think differently."

“We’re fairly united on this."

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/coming+Va...7378/story.html

Sounds good to me.

I would soooooooo buy ticjets and SELL THEM!!! Sell em for BIIIIIG money.

I dunno. It would be great for the city and such, but to me it just wouldn't be the same not being in Vegas. S'why I sold my 102 tickets. I like being able to gamble and get sh!ttered immediately after the show.

Having a UFC fight in Vancouver isn't the problem. The problem is having thousands of Ed Hardy toting dbags conglomerating in one small area. Too many people get roid rage after seeing a fight and the only thing on their mind is trying to find someone to punch out.

I went to a Muay Thai fight at the Maritime Centre in East Van. Some heavyweight from Surrey landed a huge knockout via leg kick (was awesome). When I was outside all these tools were talking about how badly they want to fight somebody after seeing the big knockout. UFC isn't the problem, Vancouver is the problem.

Having a UFC fight in Vancouver isn't the problem. The problem is having thousands of Ed Hardy toting dbags conglomerating in one small area. Too many people get roid rage after seeing a fight and the only thing on their mind is trying to find someone to punch out.

I went to a Muay Thai fight at the Maritime Centre in East Van. Some heavyweight from Surrey landed a huge knockout via leg kick (was awesome). When I was outside all these tools were talking about how badly they want to fight somebody after seeing the big knockout. UFC isn't the problem, Vancouver is the problem.

I could see that. Hate the Ed Hardy/Audigier shirts. And the general people who waer them in this town seem like d-bags for sure. There's a lot of that at the live shows in Vegas, but the crowds are amazing. Everyone's happy and having a great time. Maybe it's cause it's Vegas...?

I get what you're saying though. Lots of d-bags in this city.