The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

I wanna know who you guys are betting on for UFC 108. Evans Vs. Silva seems like a really even match up but I'm goin with Silva. Losing to Machida was a good thing for him. Made him hungrier. He's probably been training non stop since then. I like the way he handled Jardine at UFC 102.

I wanna know who you guys are betting on for UFC 108. Evans Vs. Silva seems like a really even match up but I'm goin with Silva. Losing to Machida was a good thing for him. Made him hungrier. He's probably been training non stop since then. I like the way he handled Jardine at UFC 102.

Silva is too prone to being knocked out and Evans only needs one half assed haphazard punch to win the fight. I love Silva and I hate Evans. But I think Evans can likely take this.

Edit: LOL Wrong Silva. This Actually could be a really good fight. I don't think I could make a real call on this either.

Edited by Harbinger

^Agreed. Not sure how good Silva's ground game is, but IIRC, it's not very good(although I could be wrong). If Rashad goes back to his wrestling and puts Silva on his back, Thiago doesn't have much of a chance.

Both have great ground games, great striking. Both are really well rounded

Rashad/Thiago is shaping up to be a terrific fight if both stay healthy. I'm giving the edge to Rashad because I'm a fan, but I think Thiago has more power. The longer the fight goes, the advantage goes to Rashad because he's shown the ability to end fights late.

I'm going to say Rashad knocks him out in the second.

Haha, you're joking right? What that fight showed is that Lesnar would have taken him down easily and Fedor would have landed a heavy punch and knocked him out the instant he threw that first kick and dropped his hands. Yet another MMA fan impressed by a guy's size instead of his skill.

Haha, you're joking right? What that fight showed is that Lesnar would have taken him down easily and Fedor would have landed a heavy punch and knocked him out the instant he threw that first kick and dropped his hands. Yet another MMA fan impressed by a guy's size instead of his skill.

No doubt. That guy is huge, but, brute force will only take you so far. And just by looking at him, I would doubt his cardio is where it needs to be to dance with those other two--just a hunch, though. Show me a clip of him working the ground game from either top position, or off of his back, and I may believe he has a chance against Mustafa Al Turk. Mentioning him in the same sentance as Fedor is ridiculous...

Couldn't find anything about Mir Vs. Carwin angry.gif

Sounds like it's in the works for UFC 111 in NJ.

http://www.sherdog.c...r-UFC-111-21589

That is shaping into a good card. GSP vs Hardy (maybe the biggest mis-matched title-fight since Penn-Sanchezwink.gif ). Also, sounds like Thiago Alves vs. Ricardo Almeida

And, as Lil Nog has been forced to withdraw from UFC 109 against Brandon Vera, it looks as if Vera may be fighting Jon "Bones" Jones instead. I'd love to see this. I think Bones would manhandle Vera.

http://www.examiner....-as-replacement

Thoughts???

Edited by smith80

BJ completely dominated Sancheese. Sancheese might have hit him 4 times in 4.5 rounds.

I know it's a few days after the event, but, I thought I'd post this link from FightMetric which breaks down the stats.

http://www.fightmetric.com/fights/Penn-Sanchez.html

Penn outstruck Sanchez 150-8! Yes, that's right, 150-8. Sanchez was 0-27 on t.d attempts. I knew it was one-sided but that's ridiculous. Hopefully the UFC can sign Shinya Aoki, he's the next best 155'er. Although I doubt he'd be able to take Penn down , and BJ would eat him alive on the feet...

Hopefully Bones doesn't handle him as badly as he handled Hamill.

Ha ha. So true. Have you heard that he is trying to get that decision overturned? Personally, I thought that that should have been a no contest, as it was still in the first round. Here's a link:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Jones-Files-Formal-Appeal-Over-Hamill-DQ-21568

Interesteing points they make about Hamill being deaf. Of course, I didn't really think too much of it when he was laying on his back spewing blood from his face, but, it says Mazagatti asks him "can you continue" and, of course, Hamill doesn't answer so he calls the fight. Another poor call by Mazzagatti?

And, as I went to search for this, I found that the Jones-Vera match will take place indeed, but, not on the UFC 109 bill. Looks like a Fight Night instead.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Vera-Jones-Agreed-for-Versus-Event-21597

The province this morning reported that they are planning an event in Vancouver for June, and they plan to hold it at BC Place. BC Place is going to be under construction in June, so I wonder if they mean GM Place. IMHO BC Place is WAY too big.

I'm pretty sure they mean GM Place, because last night on Sportsnet, Don Taylor reported they're planning it for GM Place.