The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Dana White has said that Frankie Edgar is next in line to fight BJ Penn for the title and it will probably happen at 112 in Abu Dhabi. Sorry, I don't have a source to link at this time as the message board I read it on didn't link a source either. Check the usual sites.

What's funny is that the UFC has sold 10% of the event or the promotion to the promoter/Adcc of the Adcc. I can't be sure of which yet. I have read both out there. But it seems to be 10% of zuffa.

This is a strange turn of events.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-01-12/abu-dhabi-buys-10-stake-in-extreme-cagefighting-company-zuffa.html

Abu Dhabi Buys 10% Stake in Extreme Cagefighting Company Zuffa

Dec. 12 (Bloomberg) -- Flash Entertainment, an event management company owned by the Abu Dhabi government, bought a 10 percent stake in Zuffa LLC, owners of the Ultimate Fighting Championship and World Extreme Cagefighting as the sport grows in popularity.

Flash shares “our vision, passion, and enthusiasm for the UFC,” said Lorenzo J. Fertitta, UFC Chairman, in the PRNewswire statement today. “We are confident that this partnership will accelerate the worldwide growth of the UFC.” The statement didn’t specify how much Flash paid for the stake and a spokesman for the company declined to comment on the purchase price.

Abu Dhabi, capital of the United Arab Emirates which is home to about 8 percent of the world’s oil supply, has embarked on an expansion and modernization plan as it looks to diversify away from its crude-driven economy. The government’s 2030 plan, devised in 2007, foresees the population growing to as much as 5 million from an estimated 1.6 million in 2008. The emirate hosted its first Formula One race in November. It is also building a branch of Paris’ Sorbonne University and Louvre and Guggenheim museums.

The UFC said on its Web site that a bout in January in Dublin sold out more quickly than any other UFC fight in Europe.

Wrestling is not new to the emirate. The Abu Dhabi Combat Club was created in 1998 by Sheikh Tahnoon Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the son of the U.A.E.’s founder. The club spawned the ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship, an international martial arts event.

Edited by Harbinger

What's funny is that the UFC has sold 10% of the event or the promotion to the promoter/Adcc of the Adcc. I can't be sure of which yet. I have read both out there. But it seems to be 10% of zuffa.

http://www.businessw...pany-zuffa.html

Yeah Dana commented on this too. Zuffa see it as a way to help expand their brand globally.

http://www.businessw...pany-zuffa.html

Yeah Dana commented on this too. Zuffa see it as a way to help expand their brand globally.

There's no one in the world than can beat Penn at 155.

The person that would probably come closest is Aoki, and there's no way I see him beating BJ.

Hansen? Naw. Zaromskis? Nah. Nobody.

Aoki would get destroyed standing up. The fight would never even get to the ground and that's the only place where Aoki would have a chance.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=news.detail&gid=212411

So any chance Lesnar vs Mir 2/Carwin headlines UFC 115 here?? Hope so. Even though Dos Santos is the real number one contender. Maybe Velasquez if he gets by Big Nog.

Slim, but possible I suppose. Possible only if Liddell/Ortiz doesn't happen at 115. I can't imagine Lesnar v. Carwin/Mir and Liddell v. Ortiz on the same card unless it was a milestone PPV (ex. 100 OR an event in NYC). I've read 114 as a possible return for Lesnar, but to me that doesn't seem like enough preperation time for Lesnar after what he has just gone through. This wasn't an injury where he could do light training and keep some of this strength in tact.