The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Horn is the underdog in that fight according to the lines. So is Sylvia in his fight. Both good bets to take, especially the Sylvia fight. Nog is the favourite because of his name but considering Sylvia's size advantage and boxing skills, plus his sub defense on the ground combined with Nog's horrendous take downs and slow donkey shot, Sylvia's got a really good chance of winning and probably will actually.

Horn is the underdog in that fight according to the lines. So is Sylvia in his fight. Both good bets to take, especially the Sylvia fight. Nog is the favourite because of his name but considering Sylvia's size advantage and boxing skills, plus his sub defense on the ground combined with Nog's horrendous take downs and slow donkey shot, Sylvia's got a really good chance of winning and probably will actually.

Sylvia will clench and bore, clench and bore. That's the only way he wins now. He's a big oaf, plain and simple. I hope Minatauro whoops his donkey, but I'm sure it will be the same 'ol from the "Maineiac".

Regardless, the next three events will all be awesome. Check it out.....

What a night it's gonna be in Montreal, April 19 for UFC 83!!! Lotsa Canadians:

- George St. Pierre vs Matt Serra (Welterweight Title) Rematch will be killer!!

- Rich Frankiln vs Travis (Boring-donkey) Lutter

- Michael (The C-Word) Bisping vs

- Mac Danzig vs Mark Boeck

- Jason McDonald vs Joe Doerksen

- Sam Stout vs Rich Clementi

UF 82 is looking good too (March 1, Columbus):

- Anderson Silva vs Dan Henderson (Middleweight Title) Sooooooo stoked for this!!!

- Heath Herring vs the underrated Cheick Kongo

- Evan Tanner vs Yushin Okami

- Josh Koscheck vs Dustin Hazelett (should be interesting)

- Andrei Arlovski vs Jake O'Brien

- Chris Leben vs Alessio Sakara

- Jon Fitch vs Chris Wilson

Don't forget UFC Fight Night April 2!!!! Gonna be an AWESOME freebee!!:

- Kenny Florian vs Joe Lauzon (#1 contendership for BJ Penn up for grabs???)

- Stephan Bonnar vs Matt Hamill (huuuuuge match!!)

- Karo Parisyan vs Thiago Alves

- Spencer Fisher vs Marcus Aurelio

- Houston Alexander vs James Irvin

- Tommy Speer (runner-up on last Ultimate Fighter) vs Anthony Johnson

- Clay Guida!! vs Sammy Schiavo

- Frank Edgar vs Gray Maynard

Not too shabby for a freebee, eh?

Sylvia's "boxing" skill is overrated. Nog has a better boxing game then Sylvia and Nog is arguably one of the best BJJ fighters in the world. Sylvia is bigger than Nog but not by much...Nog will win.

Edited by EG6

is it just me or does frank mir sound kinda articulate when he talks? like he isnt some punk donkey 20 year old who likes to fight and learns mma? like an actual educated person???

Go mir

GO sylvia

Frank Mir does commentary for WEC (I think) and while I've never heard him do any commentary, many people say he does a fantastic job because he knows exactly what is going on and what to say.

I hate Tim Sylvia, he's sloppy, doughy, slow, and boring as hell to watch. I hope Nog creams him.

I want Lesnar to live up to expectations and win, I'd love to see some slams. Mir's a great guy though, and his comeback story is inspiring. Tough to call.

So Far:

# Nate Marquardt def. Jeremy Horn via submission - Round 2, 1:37

# Ricardo Almeida def. Rob Yundt via submission - Round 1, 1:08

# Tyson Griffin def. Gleison Tibau via unanimous decision

# Chris Lytle def. Kyle Bradley via TKO - Round 1, 0:33

# Tim Boetsch def. David Heath via TKO - Round 1, 4:52

# Marvin Eastman def. Terry Martin via unanimous decision

# Rob Emerson def. Keita Nakamura via split decision

Brock was awsome! he pounded him with about 40 punches total but you could tell he doesn't know how to finish guys off yet.

This is the best thing to ever happen to Lesnar because he will now be motivated and train in different areas to become a complete and total beast!!!

I fear for the life of his next opponent.

You can tell Lesnar has talent.

Not only is he strong and freakishly quick for his size, but you can tell he is comfortable on the ground. He is definitely uncomfortable standing, which is why he kept spearing Frank Mir to the ground. He just needs to refine his skills and stand-up abilities. But he has potential that is for sure.

I think fighting Mir first was a bad idea. A former HW champion whose submission abilities would expose Lesnar too easily. Personally, i think they should have put him up against a guy like Cheick Kongo or Jardine.

Edited by Gnickers87

You can tell Lesnar has talent.

Not only is he strong and freakishly quick for his size, but you can tell he is comfortable on the ground. He is definitely uncomfortable standing, which is why kept spearing Mir to the ground. He just needs to refine his skills and stand-up abilities. But he has potential that is for sure.

I think fighting Mir first was a bad idea. A former HW champion who's submission abilities would expose Lesnar too easily. Personally, i think they should have put him up against a guy like Cheick Kongo or Jardine.

Exactly, he looked so confused when he stood up and just stood there giving Mir a chance to bait him in. I have to give some credit to Mir because he took a beating and pulled off one of the smoothest finishes I've seen in a long time.

It will be interesting to see who he fights next.

No mention so far of the controversial "stop" during the Lesnar/Mir fight?? What the hell was that??? I always thought you got a warning for hitting the back of the head. Also, Mir was turning his head when he hit him. Brock was in a position to absolutely destroy Mir at that point. I still call bs.

Best fight of the night for sure was the preliminary fight between Tim Boetsch and David Heath. What a debut by Boetsch. This guy looks like he could be a real serious contender!