The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

3 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

McGregor can't make 145 anymore. He was already on the verge of death the last few times he made it. 

they could fight at 155 then, but I think Max vs Tony is a good fight, if they dont give him a crack at khabib or he gets a suspension making him out till summer or something

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

UFC is slipping for sure. 

Cancelled their event that was slated to go head to head with Bellator. Dana couldn't bully Woodley into saving it. 

UFC cancels UFC 233 card in Anaheim

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/12/12/18138173/ufc-cancels-ufc-233-card-in-anaheim

That's wack. Should've just done a main event of Askren vs Usman/Convington as a no.1 contender to go against Woodley. 

Edited by RRypien37
  • Like 1

definitely odd why they cancelled that event. Would have thought White would have wanted that head to head matchup vs Bellator to show everyone that UFC>Bellator.

I think UFC would draw more interest still, I dont mind Bellator but they are #2 in the MMA world

9 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

definitely odd why they cancelled that event. Would have thought White would have wanted that head to head matchup vs Bellator to show everyone that UFC>Bellator.

I think UFC would draw more interest still, I dont mind Bellator but they are #2 in the MMA world

It would have been on Jan 26. Bellator has the finals of their heavy weight Grand Prix that night.

Fedor vs Bader.

Fedor is still a massive draw. The match up vs Bader has me very interested.

UFC would have had to put on a strong event to compete.

I''m happy the landscape is changing, more option$ for the fighters. Ultimately it would have been nice to have all the top fighters in one company so we can see the best of the best. However, UFC refuses to respect rankings and they only book fighters that can ' move the needle'. This has traditionally been the way in 'prize fighting' but for some years there we were almost seeing MMA turn into more of a structured sport. Too bad the greed of the UFC brass has tainted that. So, it's looking like back to the old days...talent spread around the world...fun and silly freak shows..champs vs champs....etc...

It's all still a lot of fun.

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

It would have been on Jan 26. Bellator has the finals of their heavy weight Grand Prix that night.

Fedor vs Bader.

Fedor is still a massive draw. The match up vs Bader has me very interested.

UFC would have had to put on a strong event to compete.

I''m happy the landscape is changing, more option$ for the fighters. Ultimately it would have been nice to have all the top fighters in one company so we can see the best of the best. However, UFC refuses to respect rankings and they only book fighters that can ' move the needle'. This has traditionally been the way in 'prize fighting' but for some years there we were almost seeing MMA turn into more of a structured sport. Too bad the greed of the UFC brass has tainted that. So, it's looking like back to the old days...talent spread around the world...fun and silly freak shows..champs vs champs....etc...

It's all still a lot of fun.

The UFC rankings seemed like they shot themselves in the foot. Rankings made it seem like they were going to develop some specific type of structure for judging who is the best. Champion versus top contender, number 2 contender versus number 3 contender, and down the line we go. It seemed like as soon as the rankings became formalized they decided to do a 180 and just do whatever they felt like. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Down by the River said:

The UFC rankings seemed like they shot themselves in the foot. Rankings made it seem like they were going to develop some specific type of structure for judging who is the best. Champion versus top contender, number 2 contender versus number 3 contender, and down the line we go. It seemed like as soon as the rankings became formalized they decided to do a 180 and just do whatever they felt like. 

Yeah that's why I use the term "prize fighting".....whoever can bring in the the biggest paycheck for the org and enough for the most popular fighters.

They really had a thing going. They were formalising the sport. Then they fell in love with a one trick pony 'do nothing b*tch'....then a loud mouth over rated Leprechaun. It so sad, I love the ufc to this day but the writing is on the wall, they're sell outs.

IMO they are playing the short game, like a dodgy business... get that cash now. If they let the rankings decide fights ( long game) , eventually they would have been the premier company world wide. Maybe their ego has now 'shot them in the foot' ? time will tell.

19 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

#2 arguably at this point, at least going forward, is ONE Championship. 

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Yeah that's why I use the term "prize fighting".....whoever can bring in the the biggest paycheck for the org and enough for the most popular fighters.

They really had a thing going. They were formalising the sport. Then they fell in love with a one trick pony 'do nothing b*tch'....then a loud mouth over rated Leprechaun. It so sad, I love the ufc to this day but the writing is on the wall, they're sell outs.

IMO they are playing the short game, like a dodgy business... get that cash now. If they let the rankings decide fights ( long game) , eventually they would have been the premier company world wide. Maybe their ego has now 'shot them in the foot' ? time will tell.

New ownership paid a ton. They want to recoup as much and as quick as possible. 

• Cheers 1

Now this I would pay to see.

A world champ cross dressing boxer vs steroid using loud mouth business man. Prize would probably be a pound of coke.

Oscar De La Hoya challenges Dana White to a three-round boxing match

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/12/13/18140145/ufc-oscar-de-la-hoya-to-dana-white-lets-get-in-the-ring-boxing-mma-news

5 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Now this I would pay to see.

A world champ cross dressing boxer vs steroid using loud mouth business man. Prize would probably be a pound of coke.

Oscar De La Hoya challenges Dana White to a three-round boxing match

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/12/13/18140145/ufc-oscar-de-la-hoya-to-dana-white-lets-get-in-the-ring-boxing-mma-news

It would be funny to see for sure, but doubtful it happens?

Is the Bellator event tomorrow not on TV, tonights is

On 12/14/2018 at 4:38 PM, Canuckster86 said:

It would be funny to see for sure, but doubtful it happens?

Is the Bellator event tomorrow not on TV, tonights is

Wont happen. Dana has never fought, nobody would sanction him vs a world champ.

Some decent fights on the weekend. Barboza unleashing some mean kicks, Machida just doing enough in a snoozer, Lee getting his mouth shut, Chandler looked good getting the belt.

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Wont happen. Dana has never fought, nobody would sanction him vs a world champ.

Some decent fights on the weekend. Barboza unleashing some mean kicks, Machida just doing enough in a snoozer, Lee getting his mouth shut, Chandler looked good getting the belt.

Ya Barboza has some mean kicks, but Dan Hooker is one tough SOB. Didnt watch the 2nd night of Bellator, the Chandler fight was pure domination by him.

• Upvote 1

Disappointed with Lee. Was expecting big things from him. Looked so good against Barboza and Ferguson before this. Not to take away anything from Al, top guy as well. 

Also, I'm not sure how Hooker is still alive. Incredibly tough. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/12/2018 at 10:04 PM, Canuckster86 said:

Striesand effect is real.  Just rescheduled, not cancelled.  UFC is still by farrrrrr #1.

20 hours ago, xereau said:

Striesand effect is real.  Just rescheduled, not cancelled.  UFC is still by farrrrrr #1.

They rescheduled UFC 233? I thought they just rescheduled some of the fights on to other cards and promised the same amount of PPV's? All info I can find is that it had to be cancelled due to no main event fight. ( well not one that would move the needle)

UFC 233 canceled; bouts rescheduled. The UFC 233 fight card will not be held as scheduled Jan. 26 in Anaheim, Calif., the UFC announced Wednesday. The bouts that were due to be held that date are being moved to other dates and locations.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-fighting-mma-ufc-ufc233-canceled/ufc-233-canceled-bouts-rescheduled-idUSKBN1OC03X

UFC is still number one.....I don't think by as farrrr as they once were.

I swear Bellator has even beat UFC in ratings head to head this year?....

But forget Bellator... read what Dana has to say about the fast growing 'monster' One Championship ...

A. I will tell you what -- I will tell you what drives me crazy, what cracks me up, is we’re trying to get into Asia; so we have been working on Asia for a long time. And every time I do interviews over there, they say, “Are you guys like ONE FC? Is that what you are.” Yeah. Yeah. So it’s owned by a billionaire. And every time I do interviews in Asia, they ask if the UFC is like ONE FC. What are you guys, like ONE FC? Yeah, no. We’re like the UFC, but yeah. They’re not a minor grassroots organization. They’re a monster.

Forbes has already referred to UFC and One as having a global duopoly.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/10/17/17976862/one-championship-look-finances-mma-one-fc-losses

Although One still has a way to go...they are coming on strong.

http://mmapayout.com/category/promoters/one-fc//

Edited by bishopshodan
edit: just realised you may be being sarcastic, still bishop is happy the landscape is leveling

Lol, Jon Jones tests positive for a “picogram amounts of risidual metabolites” stemming from his failed drug test 18 months ago. 

As a result, Nevada athletic state commission won’t license the bout and the event is being moved to LA.

I love Jones talent but imo he just juiced again. 

2 hours ago, HI5 said:

Lol, Jon Jones tests positive for a “picogram amounts of risidual metabolites” stemming from his failed drug test 18 months ago. 

As a result, Nevada athletic state commission won’t license the bout and the event is being moved to LA.

I love Jones talent but imo he just juiced again. 

I agree with you, he is a serial doper.  The guy is just completely out of control, I don't know how anyone could ever cheer for the guy. I hope Gus drops him early and shuts him up once and for all.