The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

On 12/23/2018 at 6:27 PM, HI5 said:

Lol, Jon Jones tests positive for a “picogram amounts of risidual metabolites” stemming from his failed drug test 18 months ago. 

As a result, Nevada athletic state commission won’t license the bout and the event is being moved to LA.

I love Jones talent but imo he just juiced again. 

Love novitsky on jre trying to do damage control. I guess bones also tested positive on aug 9, 29, and sept 18 before this latest test. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Izabelle Kostic is awesome. 

"Whether it’s a picogram or a pictogram, why have you tested now positive?”

Jon Jones the GOAT**** (yep, that name has at least 4 asterisks besides it)

Just saw the interview and I'm glad to see she had enough courage to go after him and Dana. So there are a few journalists left who aren't part of the fake news epidemic.........

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Izabelle Kostic is awesome. 

"Whether it’s a picogram or a pictogram, why have you tested now positive?”

Jon Jones the GOAT**** (yep, that name has at least 4 asterisks besides it)

4 hours ago, gerry35 said:

Just saw the interview and I'm glad to see she had enough courage to go after him and Dana. So there are a few journalists left who aren't part of the fake news epidemic.........

She backed off the original more aggressively worded question after she started taking heat for it. 

That's what I like about Ariel Helwani, he never backs off of a question no matter how angry Dana White gets with him or how many times Dana tries to mess with his employment.

11 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

She backed off the original more aggressively worded question after she started taking heat for it. 

That's what I like about Ariel Helwani, he never backs off of a question no matter how angry Dana White gets with him or how many times Dana tries to mess with his employment.

IMO Helwani has become a coward over the last couple of years (but admittedly has been better for this UFC event). I don't care if she became less aggressive, at least she has the balls to get up there and ask about this. If there was any doubt about whether the UFC was a professional sport or an entertainment industry, how Dana has handled this UFC is the nail in the coffin that this is purely for entertainment. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I didn't listen to the conference, just read the transcript. At least she asked while Jon talked over her and down to her...?

Dana and his company try to run with the Trump vibe, bulling and spreading false narratives ( no wonder they are close buds) ...UFC  took away Ariel's credentials for a while. I agree, he has done well to push through, get the support of the rest of the MMA world and fans. 

4 hours ago, Down by the River said:

IMO Helwani has become a coward over the last couple of years (but admittedly has been better for this UFC event). I don't care if she became less aggressive, at least she has the balls to get up there and ask about this. If there was any doubt about whether the UFC was a professional sport or an entertainment industry, how Dana has handled this UFC is the nail in the coffin that this is purely for entertainment. 

It's purely for money.  Entertainment is just a byproduct as far as IMG is concerned. 

I think Dana realizes that he's sitting on a precipice.  If he can't bump up the PPV numbers on a more regular basis, he's going to get removed from his presidency of the UFC.

I keep telling people that IMG's main focus is paying down the 4 Billion dollars that they went into debt buying the UFC.  Add to that the training complex they built in Vegas and they're going to do what they have to in order to make as much money as fast as possible.  If that means moving a show from LV to LA and taking a hit to their reputation, then that's what they'll do whether it's right or wrong.  The fighters don't like it and are losing 8-12% of their purses in state taxes, too bad.  The people who bought tickets and hotel rooms in Vegas?  Too bad.  It's all about the PPV dollars.

Edited by SabreFan1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I didn't listen to the conference, just read the transcript. At least she asked while Jon talked over her and down to her...?

Dana and his company try to run with the Trump vibe, bulling and spreading false narratives ( no wonder they are close buds) ...UFC  took away Ariel's credentials for a while. I agree, he has done well to push through, get the support of the rest of the MMA world and fans.

Jon Jones then Dana talked over her.  Mostly Jon Jones.  She re-worded it after Dana started sounding irritated.

Ariel still wouldn't have his credentials if it was up to Dana.  A whole bunch of people went to bat for Ariel and made Dana back off.  I can tell Dana was irritated that ESPN hired Ariel to do a show on the network.  He tried to play it down when asked, but the irritation was there.

Ariel is guilty of some of what Dana accused him of, but the thing is that's Ariel's job.  Has he stumbled a few times?  Sure.  That happens to most journalists.

• Upvote 1

Which uggo wins?  The bigger manly one or the smaller slightly less manlier one?

If Cyborg can take Nunes' punches/power game well, Nunes is in serious trouble because her ground game won't win it for her.

Edited by SabreFan1

3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Glad she won, now lets hope she defends both belts. Assume Cyborg will get a rematch right away for the 145 belt

They created the 145 lbs. division for Cyborg.  Nunes is going to have to make a decision on which belt that she wants to keep.  She's not active enough to keep both.

9 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Bones.  ....and new.

Next week - Jones loses title after post fight sample turns up dirty.  That would be messed up.

Haha, I hope DC fights Jones but I dont know, all depends if Lesnar is coming back to UFC and if DC sticks to his retirement date. 

I am happy Jones won, the guy just knows how to win

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

Haha, I hope DC fights Jones but I dont know, all depends if Lesnar is coming back to UFC and if DC sticks to his retirement date. 

I am happy Jones won, the guy just knows how to win

I want to see DC's final fight be with Jones for the HW belt and if Jones wins then Jones vs. Lesnar.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

I want to see DC's final fight be with Jones for the HW belt and if Jones wins then Jones vs. Lesnar.

|That would be ideal, but DC wants that big payday vs Lesnar. He thinks it would be more $? I guess he would know from his last 2 bouts vs Jones what he made. Probably can call the shots to a degree or if he is too greedy the UFC can just say no and he "relinquishes" his 2nd belt, would be an MMA first for that I bet haha!

• Upvote 1