The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

4 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

GSP is set to announce retirement.

Too bad,  I hope Khabib can convince him to have one more fight in November.

Anyway, Thanks for the memories GSP....You should always be in the GOAT convo's and you did Canada proud!

That would be a good fight, GSP would have a chance to win a 3rd division belt if Khabib doesnt get stripped due to the suspension.

It is too bad GSP didnt fight more later in his career, but its a tough sport and he made his $$$. One of the best ever and he was a Canadian!!

• Cheers 1

So GSP is retired even though he wanted the Khabib fight only to be denied by uncle fester ( imo , we may still see gsp down the road)

and..

Top-five lightweight contenders Dustin Poirier and Al Iaquinta have both requested to be released from the UFC

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/2/21/18234034/ufc-dustin-poirier-al-iaquinta-both-call-for-release-lightweight-mma-new

and..

The Stylebender/Spider fight bombed

https://www.mmamania.com/2019/2/22/18236460/ufc-violates-non-proliferation-treaty-silva-vs-adesanya-ppv-bomb

Meanwhile UFC continues to annoy the rest of the roster, Covington wants out, Stipe is mad, DC is retiring, Cain is broken, JJones is a cheat, Mcgruber is going down the tube, Khabibs entire team is grumpy..

Rats off a sinking ship....please get out of the way Dana, I want to love UFC again.

It is sad to see certain UFC fighters not fight recently. People who watch UFC and pay for the PPV, they want to see the best fight. Why not make a Ferguson Porier fight for the interim belt, if Khabib is not willing to fight until November. That would be over a year layoff, 3 months longer than his suspension I think of 9 months?

fighters got to fight, they have a shelf life...called age. UFC wants to give Silva, Cain possibly Brock immediate high end fights to try and draw big numbers. But they are all older and barely fought recently. How can they think that is more entertaining and going to grab the high PPV buys vs younger fighters who actually do fight.

Heck, I want to see Covington fight, not cause I like him but because I want to see if someone can shut his trash talking mouth up haha

On 2/22/2019 at 12:39 PM, bishopshodan said:

So GSP is retired even though he wanted the Khabib fight only to be denied by uncle fester ( imo , we may still see gsp down the road)

and..

Top-five lightweight contenders Dustin Poirier and Al Iaquinta have both requested to be released from the UFC

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/2/21/18234034/ufc-dustin-poirier-al-iaquinta-both-call-for-release-lightweight-mma-new

and..

The Stylebender/Spider fight bombed

https://www.mmamania.com/2019/2/22/18236460/ufc-violates-non-proliferation-treaty-silva-vs-adesanya-ppv-bomb

Meanwhile UFC continues to annoy the rest of the roster, Covington wants out, Stipe is mad, DC is retiring, Cain is broken, JJones is a cheat, Mcgruber is going down the tube, Khabibs entire team is grumpy..

Rats off a sinking ship....please get out of the way Dana, I want to love UFC again.

Agreed. Lots of people in MMA annoyed that the UFC was not willing to make a GSP-Khabib fight yet willing to throw out a zillion interim titles. You could have done an exhibition match at 160. GSP definitely wanted champ-champ-champ status, but moreso, he wanted to fight a guy that appeared invincible. That's Khabib. The organization is holding back Stipe Miocic because they want DC versus Lesnar, which will most certainly be a one-off, yet they can't budge on a GSP Khabib fight? It makes no sense to me that the UFC would hold back this fight, given all the other decisions that they've made. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Agreed. Lots of people in MMA annoyed that the UFC was not willing to make a GSP-Khabib fight yet willing to throw out a zillion interim titles. You could have done an exhibition match at 160. GSP definitely wanted champ-champ-champ status, but moreso, he wanted to fight a guy that appeared invincible. That's Khabib. The organization is holding back Stipe Miocic because they want DC versus Lesnar, which will most certainly be a one-off, yet they can't budge on a GSP Khabib fight? It makes no sense to me that the UFC would hold back this fight, given all the other decisions that they've made. 

USA > Canada also imo. Dana White didn't want to cave into GSP. The Lesnar fight is just a joke, does not deserve the title fight at all. But the UFC fans will pay for the PPV and that is all they care about. Not sure how Cormier can think beating Lesnar is going to make him any greater of a fighter. UFC fighter Cormier vs Steroid user WWE fake wrestler Lesnar who has a handful of MMA fight over what 10 years? 

Very odd why Ferguson didn't accept the interim fight for the title. To me he can't complain about nothing now...

GSP vs Khabib would have been a good fight, would have loved to see GSP hand Khabib his first L, even if Khabib was to win, GSP would go out losing to someone with 0 L.

Stipe, as much as he would have liked a rematch, he is not an attraction like say Conor is, hence why he got the Khabib fight. Stipe isnt a PPV generating fighter. He should fight Francis, then if he wins call out the ducking Cormier.

4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Stipe, as much as he would have liked a rematch, he is not an attraction like say Conor is, hence why he got the Khabib fight. Stipe isnt a PPV generating fighter. He should fight Francis, then if he wins call out the ducking Cormier.

I dont know if i want to see it again, not sure it would go any different.

That said Stipe should probably fight someone as waiting for DC is gonna be a minute. 

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I dont know if i want to see it again, not sure it would go any different.

That said Stipe should probably fight someone as waiting for DC is gonna be a minute. 

If Cain had won, then Cain and Stipe would have been a good fight. Unfortunately that didn't happen tho. 

On 2/22/2019 at 7:53 PM, Canuckster86 said:

It is sad to see certain UFC fighters not fight recently. People who watch UFC and pay for the PPV, they want to see the best fight. Why not make a Ferguson Porier fight for the interim belt, if Khabib is not willing to fight until November. That would be over a year layoff, 3 months longer than his suspension I think of 9 months?

fighters got to fight, they have a shelf life...called age. UFC wants to give Silva, Cain possibly Brock immediate high end fights to try and draw big numbers. But they are all older and barely fought recently. How can they think that is more entertaining and going to grab the high PPV buys vs younger fighters who actually do fight.

Heck, I want to see Covington fight, not cause I like him but because I want to see if someone can shut his trash talking mouth up haha

Ferguson turned down the interim title fight. He already won it once and look what happened. Don't blame him for not wanting to waste his time and effort. 

7 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Ferguson turned down the interim title fight. He already won it once and look what happened. Don't blame him for not wanting to waste his time and effort. 

Still left a decent pay day on the table, plus if you win the interim title then khabib should have to fight you for it...although Covington never got that chance. So ya the UFC does what they want it seems

13 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Still left a decent pay day on the table, plus if you win the interim title then khabib should have to fight you for it...although Covington never got that chance. So ya the UFC does what they want it seems

As I mentioned, he already won the interim title against Kevin Lee. That did nothing to advance him or his career and hasn't had an actual title fight to this day. A pay day vs risk of losing and not getting a legit title shot. Risk/reward is what factors into the decision from someone like Tony. He isn't in his 20's anymore, he has limited time remaining and had paid his dues for a real belt. 

7 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Great card this weekend.

Should be good.

Same here.

GSP talked about how GOAT conversations were somewhat pointless because today's fighter will always be better than yesterday's fighter and tomorrow's fighter will always be better than today's fighter. I tend to agree (e.g., the level of the top NHL players now is so much higher than a decade or two ago). I think Woodley is tomorrow's version of GSP. A prime Woodley might beat a prime GSP... but I don't think it is fair to compare the two because GSP set in motion so many things that allowed fighters like Woodley to get better... Anyway, that's my long-winded way of saying that I'm really looking forward to the card also. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Same here.

GSP talked about how GOAT conversations were somewhat pointless because today's fighter will always be better than yesterday's fighter and tomorrow's fighter will always be better than today's fighter. I tend to agree (e.g., the level of the top NHL players now is so much higher than a decade or two ago). I think Woodley is tomorrow's version of GSP. A prime Woodley might beat a prime GSP... but I don't think it is fair to compare the two because GSP set in motion so many things that allowed fighters like Woodley to get better... Anyway, that's my long-winded way of saying that I'm really looking forward to the card also. 

This guy would get wrecked today. 

Though he was likely a mean dude in his time.

.1680823023_BoxerJamesCorbett(1).jpg.5e263618b306922376a953b35c42021d.jpg

I get what you are saying.