The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

What a war. DP surprised me with his cardio. Thought he was going to get tired in championship rounds..

Great fight. Beasts 

He was tired. He will get MAULED by Khabib. Max was the best chance at beating Khabib because of his excellent take down defence and cardio. Dustin doesn't stand a chance. I feel like Max just slower at 155. He also doesn't have the 1 punch power that Dustin has. Max is all about combos and speed. 

Not at all surprised at how much trouble Gastelum gave Izzy. I do feel Izzy is a bit overrated. This was his first top 5 guy and he got light up a ton. If it wasn't for the last half of the 5th round, I see him losing that fight. No way he gets by Whittaker. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/14/2019 at 12:53 AM, RRypien37 said:

He was tired. He will get MAULED by Khabib. Max was the best chance at beating Khabib because of his excellent take down defence and cardio. Dustin doesn't stand a chance. I feel like Max just slower at 155. He also doesn't have the 1 punch power that Dustin has. Max is all about combos and speed. 

Not at all surprised at how much trouble Gastelum gave Izzy. I do feel Izzy is a bit overrated. This was his first top 5 guy and he got light up a ton. If it wasn't for the last half of the 5th round, I see him losing that fight. No way he gets by Whittaker. 

He dropped Kelvin 4 times. I have huge respect for Kelvin and early on I thought the fight was his. I didn't know how tough Izzy was before this fight but he has obviously proved he can take a lot of hard shots. It's this reason and the unfortunate inactivity of Bobby Knuckles that I think it will be a far more competitive fight than you seem to. 

I felt for Max in his fight with DP, once he started talking and Dustin just kept feeding him I knew it was going south. Youre right , he doesn't seem to have enough power at 155.

I do agree on your Khabib statement too. I don't see how Dustin can win that, he will be taken down and smashed.

6 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

He dropped Kelvin 4 times. I have huge respect for Kelvin and early on I thought the fight was his. I didn't know how tough Izzy was before this fight but he has obviously proved he can take a lot of hard shots. It's this reason and the unfortunate inactivity of Bobby Knuckles that I think it will be a far more competitive fight than you seem to. 

I felt for Max in his fight with DP, once he started talking and Dustin just kept feeding him I knew it was going south. Youre right , he doesn't seem to have enough power at 155.

I do agree on your Khabib statement too. I don't see how Dustin can win that, he will be taken down and smashed.

Izzy was 2-2 going into the 5th against a #5 guy who should be a welter weight. The expectation from most was that he was going to pick apart Kelvin. I don't see him beating the likes of Romero, Whittaker or Souza. 

5 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Izzy was 2-2 going into the 5th against a #5 guy who should be a welter weight. The expectation from most was that he was going to pick apart Kelvin. I don't see him beating the likes of Romero, Whittaker or Souza. 

That welter weight did eek out a win over Souza.

I like all these top dudes, a mean batch. I get your POV.  I just think Stylebender showed he can take some punishment and keep going. Hang with the top 5 a bit in that regard, which I wasn't sure of. I really look forward to that championship fight.

Too bad fights yesterday werent on tv, guess tsn rather would show same soccer game on multiple channels instead. The sports channels make me laugh when you got 5 tsn channels but so often the same crap is on all of them, or a random regular season game is not available to view even though I have paid for the sports package...

Few good fights by the looks of the highlights, any watch and have their take on the russian ufc event?

On 4/21/2019 at 9:50 AM, Canuckster86 said:

Too bad fights yesterday werent on tv, guess tsn rather would show same soccer game on multiple channels instead. The sports channels make me laugh when you got 5 tsn channels but so often the same crap is on all of them, or a random regular season game is not available to view even though I have paid for the sports package...

Few good fights by the looks of the highlights, any watch and have their take on the russian ufc event?

Oleksiejczuk really impressed me (again).

He is too small for LHW but because of that he has incredible speed that completely overwhelms and confuses guys at 205 who aren't used to that quickness. He has power that can't be taught, trained or learned.

I feel like he would do even better at MW where he belongs and could become a serious contender there. He legitimately looks like he walks around at his fighting weight (IF that). Hell, if he really tried, he could probably even make WW. He isn't a big guy and has BF he can lose.  

Edited by RRypien37

9 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Rory MacDonald making some terrible decisions in his last few fights. Like his fight IQ is out the window and he just panics since Lawler. 

I didn't see the fight. He advances even though he never had a judge score the fight in his favour? I understand 2 judges made it a draw but the third judge had it for Fitch...so would he not have been the winner?

Oh well good to see the Canadian advance, I don't think he can retain his title throughout this grand prix though

15 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Rory MacDonald making some terrible decisions in his last few fights. Like his fight IQ is out the window and he just panics since Lawler. 

Heart isn't in it anymore. Check out what he said in his post fight interview last night. 

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

Heart isn't in it anymore. Check out what he said in his post fight interview last night. 

sounds like he needs to hang them up. If you don't have that drive to compete in a "fight" your going to potentially get hurt real bad if you continue to step into that cage

I thought they were going to give it to Fitch but I am glad they didn't. Just find him boring but he is effective.

Rory looked systematic and fought like he sounded afterwards. His heart wasn't in it. Hope he continues, great fighter... I once got to hang with him for a bit doing a nightclub event in Van, before he became the Red King. Great kid, one of my favourite fighters. 

Hardy's opponent was awful, and I hate saying that about a ufc fighter but he looked bad. I'm glad Dana acknowledged that . 

Edited by bishopshodan

7 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Definitely not. He had Fitch hurt a couple of times and just chose to continue to grapple with a guy that really only knows how to grapple/wrestle. The old Rory would have stepped back and busted him up. Instead he was content to stay in the types of positions that result in minimal damage to either fighter.