The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

18 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Crap.

I wanted to see Thug Rose.

However, I did have a feeling she would be a no go . 

Rose is one of my favorite fighters to watch, male or female. But, I get the impression that she is a bit like GSP; loves to train and loves to learn, but doesn't like to fight. GSP was able to overcome the latter part because of his mental toughness. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Rose is one of my favorite fighters to watch, male or female. But, I get the impression that she is a bit like GSP; loves to train and loves to learn, but doesn't like to fight. GSP was able to overcome the latter part because of his mental toughness. 

I'm not sure if it's the actual fighting/competing that they don't like.  I think it's all the stuff that comes with it.  Media and trash talk probably being at the top of the list.  I know that some fighters don't like actually having the belt as well.  They feel like they're always either defending the belt or being pressured to do so.  They never get a break from it.

14 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I'm not sure if it's the actual fighting/competing that they don't like.  I think it's all the stuff that comes with it.  Media and trash talk probably being at the top of the list.  I know that some fighters don't like actually having the belt as well.  They feel like they're always either defending the belt or being pressured to do so.  They never get a break from it.

GSP has talked about hating to actually get in the cage and fight. Not just the trash talk, but actually being scared to go out and fight. I think he talked about it on Joe Rogan but I know Firas Zahabi has talked about GSP's mental state as well. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

GSP has talked about hating to actually get in the cage and fight. Not just the trash talk, but actually being scared to go out and fight. I think he talked about it on Joe Rogan but I know Firas Zahabi has talked about GSP's mental state as well. 

You're right!  I remember that too.  I believe GSP has also spoken about loving to fight and test himself against the best despite admittedly being afraid.  He's an interesting guy to say the least.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Lol, I just heard the event is cancelled. I now have nothing to look forward to but work :(

Divert PPV funds to... booze? Gambling? 

Definite disappointment but it always seemed delusional for Dana to be trying to pull this off. But, it will work out for him because now he'll be able to blame others for why it was shut down. 

And while I still think Rose is not a big fan of the fight itself, she pulled out because a family member passed away, so fair play to her. 

5 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I remember him saying that he hadn't received a hard punch for a lot of fights, that freaked him out a bit.

The Big Rig fight is in my mind. He proved then that he could weather a storm, but didn't he retire for the first time soon after?

IMO he is the best though. Probably cause I'm a lover of a karate base. 

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I remember him saying that he hadn't received a hard punch for a lot of fights, that freaked him out a bit.

The Big Rig fight is in my mind. He proved then that he could weather a storm, but didn't he retire for the first time soon after?

IMO he is the best though. Probably cause I'm a lover of a karate base. 

I think he talked about his proudest fight being against Condit where he ate a nasty headkick and kept at it. He is easily my favorite, and not just because he's CDN. Jon Jones definitely most skilled, but too many asterisks next to his name. 

I think he retired right after the fight... like maybe even during the post-fight press conference.

• Cheers 1

Dana White's new plan is for May 9th, maybe in Florida since they just said its an essential service for sporting events or something...

Proposed fights are:

Ferguson-Gaetje for interim title

spencer- Nunes for title

pettis- cerrone welterweight

Cruz- Cejudo for title i assume

48 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Dana White's new plan is for May 9th, maybe in Florida since they just said its an essential service for sporting events or something...

Proposed fights are:

spencer- Nunes for title

What is going on there?

As your other post suggests, Florida is letting the tight wearing - steroid using - pretend fighting cuddle circus to continue under an essential services banner.

When Dana White says something, there isn't a grain of salt big enough to digest it usually.

I doubt May 9th happens.

Other fights reportedly targeted for the card include: Jeremy Stephens vs. Calvin Kattar, Greg Hardy vs. Yorgan de Castro, Alexei Oleinik vs. Fabricio Werdum, Carla Esparza vs. Michelle Waterson, Ronaldo 'Jacare' Souza vs. Uriah Hall, Vicente Luque vs. Niko Price and Charles Rosa vs. Bryce Mitchell.

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Proposed fights are:

spencer- Nunes for title

What...the main event was postponed and yet they still want to go with what the last minute replacement option was going to be? There has to be a lot more to this. 

either at ufc apex in vegas or maybe florida...

According to ESPN, the planned full fight card includes:

• Tony Ferguson vs. Justin Gaethje -- Interim lightweight championship

• Henry Cejudo (c) vs. Dominick Cruz -- Bantamweight championship

• Amanda Nunes (c) vs. Felecia Spencer -- Women's featherweight championship

• Francis Ngannou vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik -- Heavyweights

• Jeremy Stephens vs. Calvin Kattar -- Featherweights

• Donald Cerrone vs. Anthony Pettis -- Welterweights

• Greg Hardy vs. Yorgan De Castro -- Heavyweights  

• Alexei Oleinik vs. Fabricio Werdum -- Heavyweights

• Carla Esparza vs. Michelle Waterson -- Women's strawweights

• Ronaldo Souza vs. Uriah Hall -- Middleweights

• Vicente Luque vs. Niko Price -- Welterweights

• Charles Rosa vs. Bryce Mitchell -- Featherweights

• 2 weeks later...

Its fight week again @bishopshodan

Odds it happens? Florida government is cool with it. I Just saw a video of Tony getting nasal swabbed for covid testing. Countdown is released. Its real this time. Sports entertainment!

lets go Tony :towel:

i kinda want Cerrone to win too

and Francis

and Dominick (hell prob loss tho)

and Stephens

and Price