The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Wow Tony got beat up bad.  Justin is for real.  His best fight ever.  I think Justin will destroy the Russian.  No way Khabib takes those punches and is still standing like Tony.  

Tony is a warrior.  He took every shot.  One of the greatest UFC fights ever.

Justin can stop Khabib.  He is a great boxer plus he is a great wrestler.  His wresting background will allow the fight to stay off the ground.  If that happens Justin will knock out Khabib.

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wow Tony got beat up bad.  Justin is for real.  His best fight ever.  I think Justin will destroy the Russian.  No way Khabib takes those punches and is still standing like Tony.  

Tony is a warrior.  He took every shot.  One of the greatest UFC fights ever.

Justin can stop Khabib.  He is a great boxer plus he is a great wrestler.  His wresting background will allow the fight to stay off the ground.  If that happens Justin will knock out Khabib.

Justin will get humped and submitted unfortunately.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Justin will get humped and submitted unfortunately.

Justin has been wrestling since he was 4 years old.  He must have great takedown defence.  We just haven't seen it in the UFC because he never uses his wrestling.  I think he will surprise Khabib.  A few of those jabs and leg kicks and Khabib may not want to shoot.  I think he will train differently for the fight as well.  He already can knockout Khabib standing up, so he will most likely spend his entire camp defending the takedown and practicing his wrestling.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Justin has been wrestling since he was 4 years old.  He must have great takedown defence.  We just haven't seen it in the UFC because he never uses his wrestling.  I think he will surprise Khabib.  A few of those jabs and leg kicks and Khabib may not want to shoot.  I think he will train differently for the fight as well.  He already can knockout Khabib standing up, so he will most likely spend his entire camp defending the takedown and practicing his wrestling.

He’s still getting that mermaid hump.

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He already can knockout Khabib standing up,

Has Khabib ever been knocked out? Justin may be a great wrestler but Khabib is one of the best.

I can't believe Tony took all those shots, unreal. How he wasn't knocked out is amazing. 

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Has Khabib ever been knocked out? Justin may be a great wrestler but Khabib is one of the best.

I can't believe Tony took all those shots, unreal. How he wasn't knocked out is amazing. 

Well he's never lost a fight so I would assume he's never been knocked out.  Has he taken the kind of beating that Tony took yesterday, I don't think so.  I think it will be a great fight.  A classic.  If Khabib grabs his ankles and gets him down then he wins.  If Justin can avoid the takedowns then I think he can knock out Khabib.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well he's never lost a fight so I would assume he's never been knocked out.  Has he taken the kind of beating that Tony took yesterday, I don't think so.  I think it will be a great fight.  A classic.  If Khabib grabs his ankles and gets him down then he wins.  If Justin can avoid the takedowns then I think he can knock out Khabib.

Figured the same but didn't know if he may have competed in some other contact sport outside of MMA. 

I think Justin is head and shoulders better standing, but Khabib was really strong against CMac on the feet. I like to dis Conor but he is a fantastic striker with a killer left hand. 

36 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Cruz got screwed.

Gaethje is scary. Those left hooks are killers.

Cruz said the ref smelled like alcohol and cigarettes said he wishes fighters could veto certain refs. Herb Dean is a good ref in his eyes tho

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Cruz got screwed.

Gaethje is scary. Those left hooks are killers.

I was sad to see the stoppage.

That said he ate 10+ unanswered shots on the ground. You can't do that. I also think the ref was moving in as Dom was stating to get up, unfortunate. If it wasn't a fighter of Cruz's accomplishments, such as someone new to the UFC, I wouldn't have questioned the stoppage at all.

I also think Henry was going to win anyway. Looked to have a solid plan going. 

Edit: just re-watched the end a few times. After eating a bunch of shots and moving to the right on his hands and knees, Cruz takes a shot which makes his head flop down on the canvas for a sec. It's at this moment the ref made his move. Yeah, still quick but I have seen far worse stoppages and this ref had a reason.

Dom's cig and alc comments after are lame. Keep that behind company doors.  

Edited by bishopshodan

22 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Dom's cig and alc comments after are lame. Keep that behind company doors.  

I wouldn't necessarily agree there if he doesn't think it's going to be addressed.  While the UFC officiating isn't nearly as bad as the NHL, publicly calling out problem officials forces those in charge to hopefully take things more seriously.  Not much of a difference from Burrows exposing Auger.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I wouldn't necessarily agree there if he doesn't think it's going to be addressed.  While the UFC officiating isn't nearly as bad as the NHL, publicly calling out problem officials forces those in charge to hopefully take things more seriously.  Not much of a difference from Burrows exposing Auger.

I was going to add that to my post. I agree. But you go internally first. Otherwise it makes the whole org look dodgy. Well, Dana does a good enough job of that on his own.
Also, like I have stated, it wasn't that bad of a stoppage. The ref can explain his decision  pretty easily imo. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I was going to add that to my post. I agree. But you go internally first. Otherwise it makes the whole org look dodgy. Well, Dana does a good enough job of that on his own.
Also, like I have stated, it wasn't that bad of a stoppage. The ref can explain his decision  pretty easily imo. 

Agreed. I think the ref ultimately made a mistake in stopping the fight... but I don't think it was gross negligence either. The ref just spent a good 4-5 seconds watching Cruz's head bop around. Easy to get tunnel vision and see that and not the hands bracing himself on the canvas. 

It is hard to feel too bad about the loss given that Cruz was getting outclassed to that point and had been gifted the title shot over guys like Yan and Aljo. I get why the UFC did it though. You can't exactly have faith that Cruz would be able to stay healthy for long enough to work his way up the ranks. 

• Upvote 1

McGregor flapping his gums on the social media calling out Gaetje saying he will make a necklace of his teeh and bashing Ferguson as well. Trying to stir up things, no way I see McG getting a Gaetje fight but he could face Ferguson next and the winner of that fight could take on the winner of Gaetje and Khabib

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

McGregor flapping his gums on the social media calling out Gaetje saying he will make a necklace of his teeh and bashing Ferguson as well. Trying to stir up things, no way I see McG getting a Gaetje fight but he could face Ferguson next and the winner of that fight could take on the winner of Gaetje and Khabib

He's so fake. One day he's tweeting about respect and wishing fighters good luck and the next day he's calling those same people bums. Be real. Or pick one persona and stick with it.