The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Canada's best UFC prospect in tough against a guy that came in overweight by half a division. Especially at these lower weight classes it is such a big advantage to come in overweight... but the UFC continues to do nothing about it and puts it all on the other guy to choose whether to accept the fight or not. Dawadou flew about as far away from Canada as you can get for this fight. He's on a PPV main event. He's not going to decline the fight. Zubaira knows it and the UFC knows it. I just dropped some cash on Zubaira but I hope Dawadou knocks him cold. 

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Canada's best UFC prospect in tough against a guy that came in overweight by half a division. Especially at these lower weight classes it is such a big advantage to come in overweight... but the UFC continues to do nothing about it and puts it all on the other guy to choose whether to accept the fight or not. Dawadou flew about as far away from Canada as you can get for this fight. He's on a PPV main event. He's not going to decline the fight. Zubaira knows it and the UFC knows it. I just dropped some cash on Zubaira but I hope Dawadou knocks him cold. 

When a fighter misses weight they give up what % of their purse 30 or 50%? In my opinion if a fighter misses weight once that is the penalty if they miss weight again then you don't get to fight and you have to jump up to the next weight class.

Instead of cutting weight to fight in a lower division why don't all these fighters stay hydrated and just fight at their natural weights...

4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

When a fighter misses weight they give up what % of their purse 30 or 50%? In my opinion if a fighter misses weight once that is the penalty if they miss weight again then you don't get to fight and you have to jump up to the next weight class.

Instead of cutting weight to fight in a lower division why don't all these fighters stay hydrated and just fight at their natural weights...

Typically it is 20% but is based on the local AC to set that. Sometimes it'd worth it for the guy who makes weight if the opponent has a far larger pay out. Missing weight is such a piece of crap thing to do. Of course the fighter who made it will take the fight as they have bills to pay and a camp expense to cover. 

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

Typically it is 20% but is based on the local AC to set that. Sometimes it'd worth it for the guy who makes weight if the opponent has a far larger pay out. Missing weight is such a piece of crap thing to do. Of course the fighter who made it will take the fight as they have bills to pay and a camp expense to cover. 

Yup. And missing by 4lbs at light heavyweight is bad.... but missing by 4lbs at featherweight is pathetic. That's not a matter of a bad weightcut experience or medical concerns that interrupted a weightcut. 4lbs from 135 is just lazy and deciding you'd rather have the advantage than the money and integrity.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

I'm on board with this both of these suggestions.  Weigh guys right before they go into the octagon again and make sure it's within a set percentage of weigh-ins.