The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

I will never understand why people try to drive in those conditions.

The thing is those conditions aren't that bad. There is some snow on the ice patches. Believe it or not snow on ice = traction. Try it with winter boots on. Walk on snow then ice. You get grip.

It is the same issue as in 2008 when we got that cold snap. Driving to a Giants game with snow. Going up Knight up the rise and people were spinning their tires. I was doing 65km/h uphill in the left lane past them all and stopped at the light. All on all-seasons. Yeah I had chains with me but I would amost die than put them on with that amount of snow on the ground.

The issue isn't the conditions, it is the morons behind the wheel.

crazy actions in Seattle!

So, is it a myth that buses are better in snow/ice than cars? I'll never forget my bus getting stuck in snowdrift on the way to the ferry the morning after a giant snowstorm in Victoria a couple of years back and this tiny German woman in an old station wagon picking me up and driving me to the ferry. We were passing cars in ditches all the way up the Pat Bay highway, and she was going full speed. It was amazing.

Experience driving in snow makes all the difference I guess.

So, is it a myth that buses are better in snow/ice than cars? I'll never forget my bus getting stuck in snowdrift on the way to the ferry the morning after a giant snowstorm in Victoria a couple of years back and this tiny German woman in an old station wagon picking me up and driving me to the ferry. We were passing cars in ditches all the way up the Pat Bay highway, and she was going full speed. It was amazing.

Experience driving in snow makes all the difference I guess.

Experience is the key.

I have been saying this as long as I have had an account here. You can go as fast as you want on ice in a straight line. The issue is turning and stopping. So you leave yourself more following space and slow down sooner.

Of course none of this helps you if you are on crappy tires. But anyone with any winter driving experience wouldn't go out on bald tires.

Patience people! it'll be here soon enough and then we'll all complain about it :P

Random question: I was checking the SFU webcams a minute ago. The Convo Mall one faces the library and I noticed that all the lights are still on in the library even though it's past midnight. Has anyone ever been into the library this late at night? Are there actually people in there? It seems like a huge waste of electricity to me but I'm not really sure how many students are in there at this time of night.

27ysxuu.jpg

I think the weather office likes to get people in the GVRD all in a panic about snow.

Too bad my thread in WN got locked. I had alot of good tips and ideas for the lifer GVRDers. Sadly my helpful knowledge won't be given.

Who can you thank for that lack of experience and service, PM me to find out.

Has UBC been closed before due to snow?

I certainly need it so i will have more time to finish the lab and essay due friday!! :frantic:

UBC's official policy is to never close.

It is up to the faculty if they want to travel in and run class. And given labs pretty much are over, I doubt they will close.

Patience people! it'll be here soon enough and then we'll all complain about it :P

Random question: I was checking the SFU webcams a minute ago. The Convo Mall one faces the library and I noticed that all the lights are still on in the library even though it's past midnight. Has anyone ever been into the library this late at night? Are there actually people in there? It seems like a huge waste of electricity to me but I'm not really sure how many students are in there at this time of night.

27ysxuu.jpg

The lights are always on in there, even during the semester breaks.

The lights are always on in there, even during the semester breaks.

The Irving K Barber library at UBC is opened 24hrs during final exam periods. There is actually quite a bit of people who bring their sleeping bags and crash there overnight.

I had an exam at 7 in the evening and another one at 8:30am the very next day so i didn't even bother going home and basically slept at the semi comfortable couches/chairs there.

All in all, i had a good sleep until 3am when they start vacuuming the floors.... <_<