The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

I hope the Canada Line does not shut down again like last year...

To be honest, I'm almost certain something is going to happen tomorrow morning. Some of the trains and tracks already had problems with ice last Tuesday when I was on it.

Edited by HoneyBadger23

this is vancouver...have you seen drivers/transit infrastructure here?

i worry about .1 cm of snow...4cm...all heck will break loose

I live in Vancouver.

I drive to Whistler, Sun Peaks and Big White on a regular basis.

I do agree the infrastructure could be better, but given the landscape the lower mainland and surrounding areas, there is only so much that can be done.

What would really help the problem, is if the average citizen knew how to drive in the snow AND actually bought snow tires for the car they drive every day.

( please note that my snow tires were put on Nov 5)

5cm is NOTHING... it's so little, that when that is what snows that much on the ski hill, I don't even care and sleep an extra hour before I ski for the day.

What would really help the problem, is if the average citizen knew how to drive in the snow AND actually bought snow tires for the car they drive every day.

( please note that my snow tires were put on Nov 5)

5cm is NOTHING... it's so little, that when that is what snows that much on the ski hill, I don't even care and sleep an extra hour before I ski for the day.

oh i know 5cm is nothing. as you say its the fact that people do not know how to drive in snow, or they try to drive with 1. all seasons 2. regular tires

i helped my parents put on snow tires last week. people need to be prepared and it will go a long way

oh i know 5cm is nothing. as you say its the fact that people do not know how to drive in snow, or they try to drive with 1. all seasons 2. regular tires

i helped my parents put on snow tires last week. people need to be prepared and it will go a long way

Yeah - that's the key.

But people are lazy and cheap.

Don't even get me started on the how people drive in the snow...i.e. when you start sliding... DO NOT crank the wheel in the opposite direction. :picard:

that's what she said :bigblush:

Seriously though...does this shut down Vancouver or not?

I don't see how snow can shut down a city. At 5cm, shouldn't cars and footprints just melt everything away? The snow will be very wet on top of that.

My mom was driving in the Maritimes on semi-bald all season tires for a couple of years. Obviously not safe, but she was hardcore.

Edited by Bob.Loblaw

I don't see how snow can shut down a city. At 5cm, shouldn't cars and footprints just melt everything away? The snow will be very wet on top of that.

My mom was driving in the Maritimes on semi-bald all season tires for a couple of years. Obviously not safe, but she was hardcore.

You'd be amazed; a little bit of snow last time turned into an AM commute nightmare for the Canada Line...

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?bc42#bc42-978cwvr-082600

Metro Vancouver

9:28 PM PST Sunday 20 November 2011

Snowfall warning for

Metro Vancouver continued

Snowfall amounts of 5 cm are possible over higher elevations of Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley, and northern sections of East Vancouver Island overnight tonight and early Monday morning.

Additional snowfall amounts of 15 to 25 cm expected over North Coast - inland sections by Monday evening.

This is a warning that significant snowfall is expected or occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..Listen for updated statements.

A strong Pacific frontal system over the coast is giving snow heavy at times over the North Coast - inland sections. The snow over the region is expected to persist through Monday night. Additional snowfall amounts of 15 to 25 cm can be expected by Monday evening. Meanwhile, precipitation is forecast to spread to the south coast tonight. A fairly brief period of moderate snow will begin over Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley, and East Vancouver Island overnight tonight and will change to rain Monday morning. Total snowfall amounts of 5 cm are forecast mainly over high elevations of Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley, and the northern sections of East Vancouver Island through Monday morning.

Strong winds associated with the system have developed over north and central coastal regions. Southeasterly winds of 90 to 110 km/h are occurring over the exposed coastal sections of the north/central coast and North Vancouver Island. This system will then spread southeasterly winds 70 to 90 km/h to Greater Victoria, west/East Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast overnight.

I thought about it, and I think their city also goes into shutdown mode after a moderate amount of snowfall.

Is 2 feet of snow moderate? :P

Seriously...I don't know. It might be a lot here in YVR, but to NYCers, it's probably another winter day...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/28/nyregion/28blizzard.html?pagewanted=all

Although New York City Transit takes extensive measures to prevent service disruptions in a snowstorm, “we were overwhelmed,” said Charles Seaton, a spokesman for the transit authority. Blowing snow drifts of up to four feet high contributed to equipment problems and prevented crews from accessing some tracks and switches.

Another problem on Monday was transportation for the train operators themselves. Many were having trouble getting to work, and Mr. Seaton said that a dearth of workers had contributed to the decision to shut down the entire B line.

Getting to the area airports in the anticipation that they would be reopening Monday afternoon was not easy, either. The A train was suspended in both directions between the Euclid Avenue Station and the Far Rockaway-Mott Avenue Station, preventing travelers from reaching the AirTrain to get to Kennedy Airport.