The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

i disagree with this, as a good all season radial is sufficient for the most part, and when it isn't you should be chaining up anyway, even if you have snow tires.

I agree. My all-season's are fine for the two times a year we get 1cm of snow.

What I can't believe is the amount of complete MORONS tail-gaiting and cutting in and out of traffic like they were driving on perfectly dry/warm roads!

I may "dangerously" :rolleyes: go out on my all seasons in this stuff but at least I know to leave way more space and not make sudden movements/cause others to make sudden movements/stops. You don't even have to drive all that much slower. Smoother? Yes. Leave more space? Yes. Be more patient? Yes. But you do not need to stay below 30kph and if you think you do or want to tail gate etc... STAY HOME YOU FREAKING MENACE!

i disagree with this, as a good all season radial is sufficient for the most part, and when it isn't you should be chaining up anyway, even if you have snow tires.

All seasons are basically useless in the snow. There is no comparison.

Edited by Donky

Ignorant and negligent. There are other people on the road besides you, you know.

Contradictory much?

If you don't have adequate equipment to match your "skillzzz" then STAY HOME!

That's why I turned around and took the bus instead unlike many other motorists.

When I refer to my "skillzzz" I'm referring to those people who either floor it when they're stuck in the snow or brake hard and lose control, if you know how to drive in snow then you won't look like an utter idiot.

We found an ignorant Vancouver snow driver!! Quick internet, get him!!!

:lol:

Thumbs up to this. As long as you know how to drive in the snow or decide its not ideal then you should be fine. If we lived in Manitoba, Ontario, etc.. I'd say it'd be appropriate since they receive a large amount of snow fall.

Edited by warmplate

depends on the model, mine is highly rated for snow/rain and is fine for all my winter driving needs (both while I was in Chicago, all winter long, and when I go into the mountains for snowboarding). if you find that all season radials are useless in the snow then you are clearly not adjusting your driving habits when driving in snow. snow tires are the biggest scam in all of automoting.

• Upvote 2

depends on the model, mine is highly rated for snow/rain and is fine for all my winter driving needs (both while I was in Chicago, all winter long, and when I go into the mountains for snowboarding). if you find that all season radials are useless in the snow then you are clearly not adjusting your driving habits when driving in snow. snow tires are the biggest scam in all of automoting.

Plus' for Ave!.

Also I never seem to have a problem when I drive up to Cypress with my all seasons. As long as I don't have to deal with the constant stopping of traffic then I'm fine.

Is that actually a word? If so, it's an awesome one and I will use it as much as possible.

Is that actually a word? If so, it's an awesome one and I will use it as much as possible.

If you use it and people understands what it means then it's a word. the more it's used the more it becomes common vernacular and then it is entered into the dictionary.

it really should have been automotoring

Edited by avelanch

I agree. My all-season's are fine for the two times a year we get 1cm of snow.

What I can't believe is the amount of complete MORONS tail-gaiting and cutting in and out of traffic like they were driving on perfectly dry/warm roads!

I may "dangerously" :rolleyes: go out on my all seasons in this stuff but at least I know to leave way more space and not make sudden movements/cause others to make sudden movements/stops. You don't even have to drive all that much slower. Smoother? Yes. Leave more space? Yes. Be more patient? Yes. But you do not need to stay below 30kph and if you think you do or want to tail gate etc... STAY HOME YOU FREAKING MENACE!

Actually your better with winter tires then with chains. In fact I think chains can be bad for them.

Oh, and I would put you in the "OK" category just make sure you stay right except to pass if you're going to drive under the speed limit.

I have winter tires, winter driving experience, 4x4 control, and ABS and being stuck behind people with inferior equipment is super annoying. If I tailgate you in the left lane it's for a reason, it's for you to move over and let me pass. Besides, what are they going to do, slam on the breaks in their all seasons? Big deal!

Depends on the tire. Mine work surprisingly well in the snow and coupled with AWD, knowing that I need to leave more space and not make sudden course corrections/stops... I do just fine.

Actually your better with winter tires then with chains. In fact I think chains can be bad for them.

Oh, and I would put you in the "OK" category just make sure you stay right except to pass if you're going to drive under the speed limit.

I have winter tires, winter driving experience, 4x4 control, and ABS and being stuck behind people with inferior equipment is super annoying. If I tailgate you in the left lane it's for a reason, it's for you to move over and let me pass. Besides, what are they going to do, slam on the breaks in their all seasons? Big deal!

Firstly, I stay right except to pass regardless of my speed or road conditions.

Secondly, I was going as fast or faster than most of the cars around me, just leaving more space. (I also have AWD, ABS, winter driving experience/aptitude and as noted above, pretty decent all-seasons).

That said if you're tailgating anyone, especially in these conditions, regardless of equipment...that's pretty f'n stupid.

• Upvote 3

Here is the BC government brochure dealing with tire chains and snow tires.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/SeasonalDriving/winter/documents/Winter_Safety_Brochure.pdf

Also see:

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/popular-topics/faq.htm#winter_tires

And Transport Canada info on "Winter Tire Safety Tips ":

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safevehicles-safetyfeatures-wintertires-index-468.htm

Winter rated tires (or chains) are only mandatory in BC when posted but you can nevertheless be ticketed even when not posted as mandatory depending upon road conditions and it greatly enhances your chances of being fixed with liability if you are involved in an accident where snow or ice on the roads might be a factor.

There are Regulatory Signs (R047) posted in various locations on numbered highways throughout the province.

The R-047 Regulatory sign “Use Winter Tires or Carry Chains – Beyond This Point – October 1st – April 30th“ when placed upon a highway will prohibit vehicles from being driven or operated on a highway that are not equipped with winter tires or chains beyond that point when enforced by the police, ministry or other enforcement officials.

R-047.png

The W-041 Warning sign when placed upon a highway is to inform motorists that winter driving conditions can be expected on provincial highways from Oct 1st -Apr 30th. Therefore, motorist should be properly equipped with appropriate winter safety equipment between Oct 1st – April 30th, and may be prevented from proceeding on highways which have R-047 regulatory signs “Use Winter Tires or Carry Chains – Beyond This Point – October 1st – April 30th“ placed upon the highway.

W-041-4.png

And winter rated tires are not all-season tires (Tires marked "M + S" – or "mud and snow" tires are not considered winter rated tires).

BC Motor Vehicle Act - (Chapter 318 - Part 3)

Safety equipment

208 (1) For the purpose of this section, “winter tire” means a tire that is

(a) advertised or represented by its manufacturer or a person in the business of selling tires to be a tire intended principally for winter use, and that provides, or is designed to provide, adequate traction in snow or mud; and

(b ) in the condition respecting tread wear and other particulars the regulations prescribe.

(2) The Minister of Transportation and Highways may, by public notice or by placing signs, prohibit vehicles from being driven or operated on a highway that are not equipped with chains, winter tires or sanding devices, or a combination of these the minister considers adequate and necessary in view of prevailing road conditions.

(3) For the purposes of a prosecution under this section, the onus is on the defendant to prove that a tire alleged not to be a winter tire is in fact a winter tire.

Look for tires with this pictograph:

snowtire.gif

And there are minimum tread depths required per the BC Motor Vehicle Act – Motor Vehicle Act Regulations - (Division 7 - Other Equipment)

Winter tires

7.162 A winter tire as defined in section 208 of the Act shall have not less than 3.5 mm of tread depth across the surface of the tire in contact with the road.

Also it is recommended that winter rated tires be mounted on all four wheels not just the drive wheels.

And studded tires? Under the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations, tires with studs up to 3.5 mm high can be used between October 1 and April 30. The regulations limit tires to 130 studs each for vehicles weighing less than 4,600 kg, or 175 studs each for vehicles weighing more than that. It’s important to note you can only use studded tires on the front wheels if you’re using them on rear wheels also (at least one studded tire per rear wheel)so if you have a FWD you must have four studded tires - RWD can have studded tires mounted only on the rear.

Automatic Brake Systems (ABS anti-lock) and Automatic Traction Control (ATC) systems can improve traction in snow but are not considered a replacement for chains or winter rated tires.

As far as liability with ICBC, if you get into an accident during snow conditions with all-season or summer rated tires you will be ice skating uphill to avoid liability. I have seen cases where the snow tired vehicle was pretty clearly at fault but ICBC still fixed at least of portion of liability on the non-winter tired vehicle arguing that winter rated tires could have assisted in avoiding the accident.

• Upvote 1

Metro Vancouver just missed the weather system that nailed Victoria and Seattle.

In Victoria:

A blizzard pounding the capital region since early this morning has shut down schools and libraries, but planes and ferries continue to shuttle people off the Island while a majority of bus routes remain in operation.

Police say abandoned vehicles dot roadsides but traffic volumes are way down, making it easier for those who must drive.

http://www.timescolonist.com/Snow+closes+schools+makes+driving+treacherous/6014065/story.html#ixzz1jqHst5J8

And Seattle:

Seattle-area residents awoke Wednesday to a blanket of snow from a storm predicted to be one of the worst in almost 30 years.

CNN iReporter Joel Pederson scraped six inches off his car hood, with the anticipation of more on the way.

"Right now it is snowing heavily, so maybe we will get another inch and a half before the end of the day . . . we have not had this much snow since the 1980s."

The cause of the massive snowdump is the collision of a large mass of precipitation from the south and west with a cold arctic air mass.

The U.S. National Weather Service had issued a prediction of up to 20 inches of snow for the southwest interior of Washington State, with higher snowfall in the mountains.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Seattle+area+residents+digging+themselves+from+major+snow+storm/6014621/story.html#ixzz1jqLOglGW

Edited by Wetcoaster

Depends on the tire. Mine work surprisingly well in the snow and coupled with AWD, knowing that I need to leave more space and not make sudden course corrections/stops... I do just fine.

Firstly, I stay right except to pass regardless of my speed or road conditions.

Secondly, I was going as fast or faster than most of the cars around me, just leaving more space. (I also have AWD, ABS, winter driving experience/aptitude and as noted above, pretty decent all-seasons).

That said if you're tailgating anyone, especially in these conditions, regardless of equipment...that's pretty f'n stupid.

When they are doing a quarter the speed limit it puts me in the best position to pass. Perhaps tailgate is too strong a word but I would certainly not be leaving any more space that usual since I don't need it.

Should it be someone like you there would be no problem, I would just zoom right by.

The majority of people I was close to were in the left lane because they didn't like the slighly snowier right lane. And in most cases I ended up passing most of the people in the "snowy" right lane that they were all scared of. Of course, if they are slow, they should have been in that lane, and if they were scared to drive in it, they shouldn't be on the road.

Edited by ronthecivil

In Greater Victoria (Colwood) two kids were injured when their toboggan slid into the road and under a BC Transit bus.

Two children were hit by a B.C. Transit bus on Stornoway Drive in Colwood today at 9:02 a.m., apparently after their toboggan flew down a steep driveway and onto the road.

Paramedics, Colwood Fire and West Shore RCMP rushed to 586 Stornoway Dr. after reports that one boy was trapped under the bus and the other was injured, said fire chief Russ Cameron.

“We had a report that a bus struck two children and one was under the bus and another was struck and injured,” Cameron said. Six firefighters were on scene by 9:06 a.m. and found one boy pinned under the front axle of a full-sized bus, Cameron said.

Firefighters used air bags to hoist the bus and rescue the child by 9:11 a.m.

“The child remained conscious and alert the whole time but did sustain some injuries,” Cameron said.

B.C. Ambulance took both children to Victoria General Hospital with non-threatening injuries.

One neighbour, Austin Derks, 15, said he was sitting down to play X-Box in his living room when he saw the kids fly down on their toboggan into the path of the slow-moving bus.

One boy tumbled out the back path of the bus and the other became pinned, he said.

Derks said the boys involved were named Sam, 11, who lives at 587 Stornoway Dr., and eight-year-old Lucas, who also lives in the neighbourhood.

Derks said he jumped up and ran out to the street. He saw a female passenger get off the bus and crawl down to the axle and comfort the trapped boy, who said he couldn’t breathe.

Neighbours brought out blankets and alerted the boys’ parents.

Transit spokeswoman Maureen Sheehan said the 52 Wishart bus was heading down Stornoway toward Cairndale Road in the residential area when two children tobogganing from their driveway entered the road.

The driver applied brakes but couldn’t avoid them, she said.

Sheehan said the bus was in good working order and was being operated by an experienced driver with a good driving record. She did not know how many passengers were on the bus.

Sheehan said B.C. Transit will co-operate with the West Shore RCMP investigation and conduct its own investigation into the incident.

The road was cordoned off for about an hour but cleared by 10 a.m.

Stornoway Drive is in a residential subdivision near Ocean View Park near the Veterans Memorial Parkway.

http://www.timescolonist.com/health/children+toboggan+Victoria/6014626/story.html#ixzz1jqaPsxA6