The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

Guest Gumballthechewy

Good thing I've got winter tires!

Me too! And 4x4!

Winter tires and having 4 wheel drive helps but how you drive makes the most difference.

That's actually how most accidents happen, people think they're safe because they have 4W and winters so they drive carelessly.

Not saying either of you guys drive carelessly! :)

I didn't know it was actually going to stick. I love sunny days after fresh snowfalls!

Want to frolic with me?

• Upvote 1

I hate snow. I went to sleep this morning and there were clear skies. Woke up this evening and a bunch of snow had fallen out of the blue...

I've got a pickup so I'm not worried about driving. But this will all be slush soon and since I don't have boots, when I take my dog out for a walk puddles are like landmines.

Snowfall warning continued for Metro Vancouver:

Environment Canada has continued its snowfall warning for Metro Vancouver, and say 'significant snowfall' will begin Tuesday evening.

A vigorous frontal system will arrive tonight and will bring another round of wintry weather to the south coast.

In most areas, rain will fall as snow, especially over the higher elevations.

In areas near sea level, the snow will be wetter, and will be mixed with rain in lower accumulations.

It is expected all snow will turn to rain tomorrow morning over most regions, except Howe Sound and the Fraser Valley, where the snow could fall to late Wednesday.

Total snowfall amounts for Metro Vancouver range from 10 to 20 cm.

Motorists and pedestrians are urged to exercise extreme caution and to allow for extra travel time.

There is also a wind warning in effect for Victoria, the Southern Gulf Islands, and the exposed coastal sections of the Sunshine Coast and East Vancouver Island ahead of the system near midnight tonight.

The winds could reach up to 70 km/hr, and will continue through Wednesday morning before subsiding.

http://www.globaltvbc.com/snowfall+warning+continued+for+metro+vancouver/6442774968/story.html

Winter tires and having 4 wheel drive helps but how you drive makes the most difference.

That's actually how most accidents happen, people think they're safe because they have 4W and winters so they drive carelessly.

Want to frolic with me?

Nah I was pretty careless today.

People were pissing me off with how slow they're driving. I know they're being safe but I wanna get to work :lol:

Not sure, but I have been hearing it for the past years or so.

from wiki

Metro Vancouver is technically composed of four separate corporate entities: the Greater Vancouver Regional District (GVRD), the Greater Vancouver Sewerage & Drainage District (GVS&DD), the Greater Vancouver Water District (GVWD) and the Metro Vancouver Housing Corporation (MVHC). The organization was formally known as the GVRD, and that name remains in common colloquial use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_Vancouver

since when has it been called "metro Vancouver"

always been greater Vancouver as far back as I can recall

September 2007

Goodbye GVRD, hello Metro Vancouver

The GVRD is about to get a more metropolitan flavour.

BY VANCOUVER SUN AUGUST 2, 2007

The GVRD is about to get a more metropolitan flavour.

After 40 years of being known as the Greater Vancouver Regional District, board members voted unanimously Friday to change the name of the region, and its government body, to Metro Vancouver.

The move still requires approval from the province, and won’t be officially unveiled until September, but municipal politicians are already heralding the change as long overdue.

“I think it’s a great idea,” said GVRD vice-chair and Vancouver city Coun. Peter Ladner. “I think that the name Metro Vancouver is a better way to describe who we are and what we do.”

Port Moody Mayor Joe Trasolini said the name GVRD was too confusing because the term “regional district” is often used to describe non-urban areas.

He said he’s attended national and international conferences on the GVRD’s behalf and had people assume he represents a rural area, not an urban metropolis of two million people.

“If you’re representing Metro Vancouver, then you have a much easier task in being recognized and it carries a certain clout,” said Trasolini.

The cost of the name change hasn’t been worked out, said Ladner, but he expects it will be relatively modest.

“There will be a bit of stationery and signage expenses, but I’m sure we can do it gradually,” he said.

Toronto had a regional government, known as Metro Toronto, for 40 years before it became a single megacity in 1997. And while Metro Vancouver is nothing more than a new name, Ladner said it’s possible it could make people more receptive to the megacity idea here.

“It may cause people to start thinking about that,” he said. “And there’s no harm in that.”

However, Trasolini disagreed — saying the name change will do little to shake people’s attachment to their own municipality.

Tim Silk, an expert in branding at the Sauder School of Business at the University of B.C., said he thinks the name change is a good idea. And he should know. When he moved to Vancouver from New York a year ago and began reading the newspaper, he couldn’t figure out what the GVRD was.

“I would never have guessed that the GVRD was a political entity,” he said. “Certainly anyone outside of Vancouver doesn’t know what the acronym means.”

In contrast, said Silk, “metro” is a fairly universal term to describe a large urban area around a central city. The only real drawback, said Silk, is the possibility for brand confusion -- since Metro Vancouver is also the name of one of the region’s free commuter newspapers.

“There is a possibility for confusion if people say `Why did they pick the name of a newspaper?’” he said. “There is [also] a potential there for the newspaper to gain exposure because people make the link.”

Indeed, the region’s first marketing challenge may be trying to knock the paper from its top spot on Google’s search results. While the GVRD’s website is the top link on a Google search for “Greater Vancouver,” the paper, for now at least, comes out on top in a search for “Metro Vancouver.”

No one from the Metro Vancouver paper was available for comment today.

Me too! And 4x4!

But still quadruple the commute trying to get around all the idiots that don't who decide to go out and drive in the snow despite not having the skills or equipment.

Too bad some drivers can't driver in the snow with a 4x4 truck and snow tires. I was driving around all these 4X4 trucks and semi-trailers and buses that were stuck with my front-wheel car equipped with all-seasons tires. If people don't know how to drive in the snow then they should either take a cab, take transit or stay at home. The traffic was ridiculous but the number of cars off the side of the road and spinning their tires were even more ridiculous.

Nah I was pretty careless today.

People were pissing me off with how slow they're driving. I know they're being safe but I wanna get to work :lol:

Want to frolic with me?

Having skills and knowledge of how to drive in the snow definitely makes a big difference. In fact people shouldn't drive in the snow if they don't know how to, even if they got snow tires. The trick is to choose the heaviest gear (D2 on my automatic transmission) and be light on acceleration and braking. I find most people just hit the gas instantaneously when they are at rest and this is the main reason their tires keep spinning.