The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:46 PM, inane said:

If you plowed your sidewalk like you should have you wouldn't need salt. 

Asking everyone one to shovel off a public area fronting their property, be it whether they are even in town, or at work, or of able body, or have the time, or can even find a bloody place to buy a snow shovel (I went to five places before I left town for Christmas, no luck), well, that isn't the most progressive or thoughtful idea. At best you get a series of clean, then icy, then clean, etc.

Not that it's a problem for me, and not that I can't park my vehicle in a snow bank or through complete unplowed residential streets, but this policy need to be looked at.

You can get bobcats that have mower attachments for the summer, and when the time comes up, a plow or even salt deploying device that can slowly but surely plow sidewalks just fine.

Either way rain is here but don't be shocked if the El Nina next year is even worse.

10 minutes ago, ronthecivil said:

Asking everyone one to shovel off a public area fronting their property, be it whether they are even in town, or at work, or of able body, or have the time, or can even find a bloody place to buy a snow shovel (I went to five places before I left town for Christmas, no luck), well, that isn't the most progressive or thoughtful idea. At best you get a series of clean, then icy, then clean, etc.

Not that it's a problem for me, and not that I can't park my vehicle in a snow bank or through complete unplowed residential streets, but this policy need to be looked at.

You can get bobcats that have mower attachments for the summer, and when the time comes up, a plow or even salt deploying device that can slowly but surely plow sidewalks just fine.

Either way rain is here but don't be shocked if the El Nina next year is even worse.

If the city asks me to clean up the public area in front, can I ask that they do my driveway when the plow comes past?

5 hours ago, gurn said:

If the city asks me to clean up the public area in front, can I ask that they do my driveway when the plow comes past?

Apparently here in Coquitlam we're responsible for mowing the boulevard (grassy area between the sidewalk and the road) in the area fronting our property. So they sent a letter to my strata.

Of course, as it turns out, at one end is another property, and in the middle is a creek under the jurisdiction of the city. So I went to city hall, and simply asked if I could plant alternate vegetation, turn it into a graveled area, etc. When that didn't work I asked them to delineate which areas are my jurisdiction, their jurisdiction, and the mega home across the creeks jurisdiction, and asked them when they planned on mowing their section.

Since then, it's seems to mow itself, and I haven't heard a thing since!

You would think that cities would manage their own property......

Also, you have to wonder if they plow the sidewalks where theirs parks, or a property they have under their control. Do the banks come and shovel out in front of foreclose properties?

It's a really dumb system. Get some bloody bobcats http://www.bobcat.com/learn/research/detail?alias=attachments-snow-removal

Put the snow removal equipment in storage if we go four years without snow. They have hundreds of attachments that let them be used all year long. Other cities use this, and I have never run into a contractor that didn't have a couple in their arsenal for doing just about everything under the sun. (In my experience; excavation, sawcutting, pavement milling, street sweeping, just off the top of my head, and I just say some of them out east kicking ass salting and clearing sidewalks).

9 minutes ago, ronthecivil said:

Apparently here in Coquitlam we're responsible for mowing the boulevard (grassy area between the sidewalk and the road) in the area fronting our property. So they sent a letter to my strata.

Of course, as it turns out, at one end is another property, and in the middle is a creek under the jurisdiction of the city. So I went to city hall, and simply asked if I could plant alternate vegetation, turn it into a graveled area, etc. When that didn't work I asked them to delineate which areas are my jurisdiction, their jurisdiction, and the mega home across the creeks jurisdiction, and asked them when they planned on mowing their section.

Since then, it's seems to mow itself, and I haven't heard a thing since!

You would think that cities would manage their own property......

Also, you have to wonder if they plow the sidewalks where theirs parks, or a property they have under their control. Do the banks come and shovel out in front of foreclose properties?

It's a really dumb system. Get some bloody bobcats http://www.bobcat.com/learn/research/detail?alias=attachments-snow-removal

Put the snow removal equipment in storage if we go four years without snow. They have hundreds of attachments that let them be used all year long. Other cities use this, and I have never run into a contractor that didn't have a couple in their arsenal for doing just about everything under the sun. (In my experience; excavation, sawcutting, pavement milling, street sweeping, just off the top of my head, and I just say some of them out east kicking ass salting and clearing sidewalks).

what building do you live in

• 2 weeks later...

Snowfall Warning!

Snowfall, with total amounts of 10 to 15 cm is expected. Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways and parking lots may become difficult to navigate due to accumulating snow. Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada.

http://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html?prov=bc

Honestly, I love this. Flew in to Vancouver on Tuesday for work and here until Sunday.

This weather is great, but also hilarious to see a population not equipped to deal with a small amount of snow.

I get it, because it doesn't happen often, so people shouldn't spend a lot of time and money preparing for a small percentage of the year where this could happen.

But, still funny for someone that lives in -30 weather and would LOVE to have this be the snowfall I deal with.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Honestly, I love this. Flew in to Vancouver on Tuesday for work and here until Sunday.

This weather is great, but also hilarious to see a population not equipped to deal with a small amount of snow.

I get it, because it doesn't happen often, so people shouldn't spend a lot of time and money preparing for a small percentage of the year where this could happen.

But, still funny for someone that lives in -30 weather and would LOVE to have this be the snowfall I deal with.

Nice 'dry' -30 snow is a HELL of a lot easier for people to drive in FWIW. 

That said, holy hell we have a lot of moronic drivers who are barely capable of driving on a nice, dry, sunny spring day...never mind snow! :lol:

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Nice 'dry' -30 snow is a HELL of a lot easier for people to drive in FWIW. 

That said, holy hell we have a lot of moronic drivers who are barely capable of driving on a nice, dry, sunny spring day...never mind snow! :lol:

Very true. While I get the black ice, I've also invested a crap ton of money into studded winter tires, so spinning out and hitting something isn't going to happen.

But yeah, this snow is a lot different than mine. But also, A LOT easier to shovel. When I do have to shovel my driveway (if the North wind hasn't helped me out), it is the biggest pain in the ass, due to how packed and hardened the snow gets. Great workout, which is the ONLY silver lining.

1 minute ago, Monty said:

Very true. While I get the black ice, I've also invested a crap ton of money into studded winter tires, so spinning out and hitting something isn't going to happen.

But yeah, this snow is a lot different than mine. But also, A LOT easier to shovel. When I do have to shovel my driveway (if the North wind hasn't helped me out), it is the biggest pain in the ass, due to how packed and hardened the snow gets. Great workout, which is the ONLY silver lining.

There's also a LOT more hills, bridges etc here to cause issue than the prairies ;) 

I don't know, our snow gets pretty wet and hence heavy generally too. You may get volume but if you manage to  keep up with it instead of waiting for it to get compacted...I'd take shoveling the light fluffy stuff you get.

Besides, don't you own a snow blower?

08f2a64a85b6e291ee8916fcb706102de18ef7ef