The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, J-23 said:

It's going to be like -7 soon and still no snow :(.

J-23, snow is possible for parts of Vancouver, Fraser Valley, Vancouver Island this week:

Parts of B.C. are on official snow watch this week after a long stretch of mostly dry weather.

Environment Canada has issued a special weather statement for many regions with snow likely in parts starting Tuesday and again on Thursday.

The following areas can expect to see snow, especially at higher elevations, starting Tuesday:

• East Vancouver Island
  • Vancouver Island inland
  • Greater Victoria
  • Sunshine Coast
  • Whistler
  • Howe Sound
  • Metro Vancouver
  • Fraser Valley
  • Southern Gulf Islands

Most of these areas can expect rain on Monday before a low-pressure system moves across northern Washington State and the B.C. south coast on Tuesday.

This means a mix of rain and snow will begin tonight but snowfall amounts will vary based on elevation.

The hardest hit areas will likely be east Vancouver Island and Victoria. Higher elevation passes like the Malahat and the Hump should see significant accumulations with at least five to 10 centimetres of snow expected.

Over the mainland south coast, not as much snow will accumulate but about five centimetres can be expected at higher elevations.

Howe Sound and Whistler will get closer to 10 centimetres on Tuesday.

Wednesday will be clear and cold before another Arctic front drops down from the B.C. Interior. This will mean temperatures will drop below zero for the rest of the week.

By Friday night, the lows will plummet to between -5 C and -10 C across the South Coast. Daytime highs on Saturday will struggle to reach the freezing mark, reports Environment Canada.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3922371/snow-vancouver-fraser-valley-vancouver-island/

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, J-23 said:

It's going to snow tomorrow!

Yeah, it's crazy how quickly the forecast can change. Nobody was expecting it would snow this week until today. Well, I think more people are prepared this winter than last winter as we surprisingly saw a lot of snowfall than we would normally. I've seen a dozen of salt bags in stores and that pretty much tells how everyone is gearing up for this winter. I really don't mind the snow, especially if it means we will have a white Christmas this year. The only thing that frustrates me is other drivers who can't drive in this kind of weather.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Yeah, it's crazy how quickly the forecast can change. Nobody was expecting it would snow this week until today. Well, I think more people are prepared this winter than last winter as we surprisingly saw a lot of snowfall than we would normally. I've seen a dozen of salt bags in stores and that pretty much tells how everyone is gearing up for this winter. I really don't mind the snow, especially if it means we will have a white Christmas this year. The only thing that frustrates me is other drivers who can't drive in this kind of weather.

Yeah, I hate driving in the snow as well. With the weather going down to the minuses, I wouldn't be surprised if it snowed all week. Winter is supposed to end late this year, but like you said, weather changes fast.

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You guys on the west coast make me chuckle with how snow creates havoc for you.   

I've had my snow tires on my vehicle for 3 weeks now in anticipation. Never have had an issue in the snow. Slow and steady.

It's the infrastructure here, and the complete idiocy of all the mayors in Metro Vancouver that really screw things up. The average driver here is reactionary, so when you add in some snow, they lose their minds and drive like the apocalypse is upon them.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You guys on the west coast make me chuckle with how snow creates havoc for you.   

It can happen anywhere.  I grew up in the Vancouver area, and we all know how light the snow is compared to much of the rest of the country.  But, I worked in Toronto for a few months, winter/spring, and saw the worst gridlock I had ever seen because of snow.  I was able to walk (at least foot high snow on sidewalks) the 1-2 miles to work faster than my bus would have got me there.  And, the snowfall wasn't a surprise to anyone.

After living in sunny CA for a few years, I was being sent to upstate NY as part of my job.  Seems people struggle there too, but I had no trouble getting around in whatever compact rental car I was stuck with.  People staying home because of snow, when they grew up with it.

It's all about preparedness.  As @PhillipBlunt pointed out, there are those like us that can do just fine, but we took the time to be sure the right tires were on the car, have the experience and confidence to be calm and smart out there,  and at least in my case added a little extra weight to help with traction.  There are others who think if they hit the gas more, they will go better.  You can't always fix stupid, and there's a bit of stupid everywhere.

• Like 1

Here is the Snowfall Warning statement from Environment Canada:

Snowfall warning in effect for:

• City of Vancouver - including Burnaby and New Westminster
  • Metro Vancouver - northeast including Coquitlam and Maple Ridge
  • Metro Vancouver - southeast including Surrey and Langley
  • Metro Vancouver - southwest including Richmond and Delta
  • North Shore - including West Vancouver and North Vancouver

Snowfall, with total amounts of 10 to 15 cm is expected.

A low pressure system has spread snow over Vancouver Island and it is now spreading over the Lower Mainland. Rain will quickly transition to wet snow through this morning and begin accumulating. Amounts will be quite variable depending on intensity and how quickly the airmass cools. Thus amounts near 5 cm are possible near sea level with the greatest accumulation of 10 to 15 cm likely over the higher terrain and inland areas. Snow will taper to flurries this evening and end overnight as drier air spreads across the region.

Be prepared to adjust your driving with changing road conditions. Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways and parking lots may become difficult to navigate due to accumulating snow. Take frequent breaks and avoid strain when clearing snow.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to ec.tempetepacifique-pacificstorm.ec@canada.ca or tweet reports using #BCStorm.

https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?bc42#165815589190278895201712190502ww1171cwvr

12 minutes ago, Kragar said:

It can happen anywhere.  I grew up in the Vancouver area, and we all know how light the snow is compared to much of the rest of the country.  But, I worked in Toronto for a few months, winter/spring, and saw the worst gridlock I had ever seen because of snow.  I was able to walk (at least foot high snow on sidewalks) the 1-2 miles to work faster than my bus would have got me there.  And, the snowfall wasn't a surprise to anyone.

After living in sunny CA for a few years, I was being sent to upstate NY as part of my job.  Seems people struggle there too, but I had no trouble getting around in whatever compact rental car I was stuck with.  People staying home because of snow, when they grew up with it.

It's all about preparedness.  As @PhillipBlunt pointed out, there are those like us that can do just fine, but we took the time to be sure the right tires were on the car, have the experience and confidence to be calm and smart out there,  and at least in my case added a little extra weight to help with traction.  There are others who think if they hit the gas more, they will go better.  You can't always fix stupid, and there's a bit of stupid everywhere.

In rural Ontario, we laughed at Toronto too...trust me.  It just seems that it takes Vancouver to come up with terms for snowstorms to make them sound like something Canadians are surprised by.   

I totally agree there is stupid everywhere - one of my favourite lyrics is in this song:...."everybody knows, the world is full of stupid people....."