The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

31 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

This morning this young kid, pushed the walk button and stepped right off the curb as if nothing was going on. Luckily I was stopped and predicted that he would do that. No kidding, eh?

I've been driving for almost 45 years and my default has always been to expect kids to do the wrong thing. It's stood me in good stead. I'd say over that time, I've had a half dozen or so incidents where a kid has done something like run out into the street, or lose control of a bike/skateboard, right in front of me....

Saturday I found a newly abandoned bun in a very dangerous situation.  Had been walking and had nothing to contain him in, but was carrying bags of produce that I'd bought and he was begging me for some.  I knew he was a dumped pet by the way he reacted to me...was frantic and desperate.  I called him and he came RIGHT to my shoe.

Didn't sleep that night for worry.  Promised him I'd go back for him, so did the next morning when I was able.  Couldn't find him.  Buns do tend to hide in the daylight, so wasn't surprised but was disappointed.  Then the snow hit.

I'd been back and forth in communication with a rescue I work with ... we decided we had to get him out before dyke upgrades started tomorrow (today).  By then, it was dark, very stormy and I put out a call for help.  Within minutes, a stranger said "where are you at...I'm on my way to pick you up".

Long story short....her driving was a little erratic for me.  We were on a very narrow/dark road with NO shoulder at some points and only a steep slope down into a ditch.  One that an uncle drowned in very long ago.  So I was a wreck.

I suggested, maybe, we slow down in the conditions...at which point my new rescue friend said "are you kidding?...I'm from Winnipeg!".  Only had all seasons but drove like she was in a snow plow.  I was terrified but slightly inspired by her confidence.

It was BRUTAL out there.  We did manage to get the bun and the drive to the sanctuary was even more treacherous.  

Moral of the story?  I hate snow.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I've been driving for almost 45 years and my default has always been to expect kids to do the wrong thing. It's stood me in good stead. I'd say over that time, I've had a half dozen or so incidents where a kid has done something like run out into the street, or lose control of a bike/skateboard, right in front of me....

Good plan.  I remember a few cars ago, back when I lived in BC, and I had a car whose tires would screech with just a quick jab of the brakes (yeah, probably not the best maintained car... it happens when young and broke).  A dad and his two boys were riding on the sidewalk along a reasonably busy street during rush hour, and one of the boys hopped the curb and got on the road in front of me.  there was no chance I was going to hit him, but I chirped my brakes anyhow.  Good dad went and grabbed his kid and gave him a good talking to.  I hope I scared some sense into them.  it felt like a good deed, at least.

• Cheers 1