The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

2 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Even us cooks, but I'm on my weekend anyways, so whatever::D

BFF lives by the Prairie Inn, says add a foot of snow to the highway cam at Mt. Newton, to get an idea of his road.

Took him a week to be able walk out, during the blizzard of 96.

13 minutes ago, gurn said:

bus drivers

taxi

plow operators

sea bus

ferries

long term care workers

hospital workers

weigh scale operators

dockyard workers

sea span

Coast Guard

Navy

just to name a few. :)

I guess. What I mean is it seems like there are even a bunch of people who don't fall into this category that are driving to work. People with desk jobs - people who can telework. It's 2020 for FS. I work at a software development company and I set up an SSL VPN for the office for days like today and I'm just thinking.. why are you driving there lmao. The lady across the street from me went to work when she doesn't have to. To each their own, I guess..

y'all work long and hard enough so when you get the opportunity to work from home as many of us can, you ought to take it. 

13 minutes ago, gurn said:

BFF lives by the Prairie Inn, says add a foot of snow to the highway cam at Mt. Newton, to get an idea of his road.

Took him a week to be able walk out, during the blizzard of 96.

Yeah, '96 was crazy. I was 8, and my dog (r.i.p.) was only a puppy at the time, absolutely loved it. Tunneled under the snow, looked like buggs bunny from the top, with an occasional dolphin jump, lol.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I guess. What I mean is it seems like there are even a bunch of people who don't fall into this category that are driving to work. People with desk jobs - people who can telework. It's 2020 for FS. I work at a software development company and I set up an SSL VPN for the office for days like today and I'm just thinking.. why are you driving there lmao. The lady across the street from me went to work when she doesn't have to. To each their own, I guess..

y'all work long and hard enough so when you get the opportunity to work from home as many of us can, you ought to take it. 

Telework is finally getting some steam as that is the direction Private and Public work are heading towards.  However, before that happens, the infrastructure needs to be in place (laptops, VPN, etc). All of that is a cost.  And some are slow to adapt the new changes.

But Telework just makes so much sense.  So long as there are metrics used to prove work is being done.

33 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Yeah, '96 was crazy. I was 8, and my dog (r.i.p.) was only a puppy at the time, absolutely loved it. Tunneled under the snow, looked like buggs bunny from the top, with an occasional dolphin jump, lol.

I am trying to remember if that was the one where I built a stupid amount of tunnels and snow forts in my parents yard, we had some of the most epic snowball fights one of those years when I was a kid.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

bus drivers

taxi

plow operators

sea bus

ferries

long term care workers

hospital workers

weigh scale operators

dockyard workers

sea span

Coast Guard

Navy

just to name a few. :)

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Police

Ambulance

Firefighters

Tow truckers

City workers, ICBC (some of it), hydro, etc. Some people don’t have the option. 

• Upvote 1

New snowfall warning for Metro Vancouver:

Snowfall warning in effect for:

• Metro Vancouver - North Shore including West Vancouver and North Vancouver
  • Metro Vancouver - northeast including Coquitlam and Maple Ridge
  • Metro Vancouver - southeast including Surrey and Langley

An area of low pressure currently offshore will approach the BC Coast late this afternoon. The low will bring strong southeasterly winds to the region. This will create a slow transition from snow to rain for areas mainly near the Strait of Georgia and low lying areas tonight.

However, cold air will remain in place over the North Shore, Coquitlam, Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge, as well as northern sections of Langley and Surrey. Snowfall accumulations of 10 cm is expected over these areas tonight as a result.

The snow will ease to scattered showers or flurries Thursday.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to BCstorm@canada.ca or tweet reports using #BCStorm.

https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?bc42

3 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Unless your a doctor or something of that nature..

what the hell kind of occupation do you have where you can't work from home and is an absolute necessity you need to be there. 

When you get a snow day - you take it. 

Except that means other than Vancouver, the rest of the country wouldn't operate for 4 months.

• Cheers 1

Took me 3 hours to get home today. Normally I'm not too miffed about the city going to DEFCON 1 when the snowflakes start to fall, but this time it bothered me. The snow was still on the ground from several days ago and the forecast called for lots more in the future, and somehow the skytrain and transit system is still completely unprepared. Makes you happy the city caved immediately when they threatened to strike.

Edited by Bitter Melon
  • Cheers 1