The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The MLB thread

Gretzky's Mullet

OK, it's early in 2008 and no one will report to spring training for another 2 weeks, however, I'm already starting to get excited about the upcoming season.

I thought I could start this thread off with an absolute doozy of a post too:

To NY Mets: Johan Santana

To Minnesota Twins: OF Carlos Gomez, and three minor league pitchers (Deolis Guerra, Kevin Mulvey and Philip Humber)

This gives the Mets a pretty solid 1-2 punch should Pedro Martinez return to form next season. Notwithstanding the respectable play of Tom Glavine, starting pitching has been a concern over the last while for the Mets, and considering their solid offence and brilliant defence, was shaping up to be their Achilles heel prior to this trade (not to mention that I have never been entirely certain about Minaya's ability to assess pitching, exhibit A = Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano). Since I consider the Mets one of the teams I cheer for (right behind the Mariners, and maybe the Jays), this is good news and might finally put to rest some of the bitterness of last year's collapse.

Here’s a prediction: The Yankees will spend a bajillion dollars on players, but will STILL come up short come playoffs time. Cash-Rod will bomb in the playoffs, again. Joe Torre will be laughing all the way to the bank, and extremely thankful that he got out of New York (doesn’t have to deal with the insane New York media).

OK, it's early in 2008 and no one will report to spring training for another 2 weeks, however, I'm already starting to get excited about the upcoming season.

I thought I could start this thread off with an absolute doozy of a post too:

To NY Mets: Johan Santana

To Minnesota Twins: OF Carlos Gomez, and three minor league pitchers (Deolis Guerra, Kevin Mulvey and Philip Humber)

This gives the Mets a pretty solid 1-2 punch should Pedro Martinez return to form next season. Notwithstanding the respectable play of Tom Glavine, starting pitching has been a concern over the last while for the Mets, and considering their solid offence and brilliant defence, was shaping up to be their Achilles heel prior to this trade (not to mention that I have never been entirely certain about Minaya's ability to assess pitching, exhibit A = Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano). Since I consider the Mets one of the teams I cheer for (right behind the Mariners, and maybe the Jays), this is good news and might finally put to rest some of the bitterness of last year's collapse.

Good call on the thread.

- Still wondering if the M's are getting Bedard or not. A few days ago it was a done deal, now... who knows? I would love to see the one-two punch of Felix and Bedard. Would make the season a little more interesting.

- The Mets get Santana. THANK GOD! No more AL for Johan!!

- I'm much more excited this year for my NL team, the Dodgers. Joe Torre on the west coast sounds great. Add in Andruw Jones and Hiroki Kuroda, looks pretty good to me.

- Die Yankees and Red Sox.

There's the obligatory 'baseball sucks' post that usually comes on at least one page of every baseball thread.

I don't think that Bedard will be coming to Seattle. It seems somebody jumped the gun on that one. Bedard seemed pretty adamant against it. Too bad they couldn't land Santana.

Good call on the thread.

- Still wondering if the M's are getting Bedard or not. A few days ago it was a done deal, now... who knows? I would love to see the one-two punch of Felix and Bedard. Would make the season a little more interesting.

- The Mets get Santana. THANK GOD! No more AL for Johan!!

- I'm much more excited this year for my NL team, the Dodgers. Joe Torre on the west coast sounds great. Add in Andruw Jones and Hiroki Kuroda, looks pretty good to me.

- Die Yankees and Red Sox.

i work for the mets (not at shea stadium, but in the executive offices nearby) and i'm completely stunned that no one has been doing cartwheels around here over this acquisition. it's certainly what they needed, and as one radio commentator said this morning, it's big enough to clear out the stench in the locker rooms of what happened last season.

that being said, i always have been and always will be a die-hard yankee fan and i'm somewhat curious to see how they fare in the post-torre era. in a way i think it's good. because of torre's successes in the late 90s, there were always expectations attached to every new season. now, it's a clean slate.

and let's hope the new generation of steinbrenners aren't the absolute nutjobs that george was while in charge.

Archived