6501 replies to this topic

#1 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:02 PM

OK, it's early in 2008 and no one will report to spring training for another 2 weeks, however, I'm already starting to get excited about the upcoming season.

I thought I could start this thread off with an absolute doozy of a post too:

To NY Mets: Johan Santana

To Minnesota Twins: OF Carlos Gomez, and three minor league pitchers (Deolis Guerra, Kevin Mulvey and Philip Humber)

This gives the Mets a pretty solid 1-2 punch should Pedro Martinez return to form next season. Notwithstanding the respectable play of Tom Glavine, starting pitching has been a concern over the last while for the Mets, and considering their solid offence and brilliant defence, was shaping up to be their Achilles heel prior to this trade (not to mention that I have never been entirely certain about Minaya's ability to assess pitching, exhibit A = Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano). Since I consider the Mets one of the teams I cheer for (right behind the Mariners, and maybe the Jays), this is good news and might finally put to rest some of the bitterness of last year's collapse.

Edited by Gretzky's Mullet, 30 October 2008 - 10:50 AM.

Posted Image

LUC BOURDON: FEB 16TH, 1987 - MAY 29TH, 2008

#2 thedestroyerofworlds

thedestroyerofworlds

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:07 PM

Hereís a prediction: The Yankees will spend a bajillion dollars on players, but will STILL come up short come playoffs time. Cash-Rod will bomb in the playoffs, again. Joe Torre will be laughing all the way to the bank, and extremely thankful that he got out of New York (doesnít have to deal with the insane New York media).

#3 binkybonks

binkybonks

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,357 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:13 PM

Joe Torre will be laughing all the way to the bank

Oh yeah...

Edited by Zomg Leet, 30 January 2008 - 02:13 PM.

#4 nycvanfan

nycvanfan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

OK, it's early in 2008 and no one will report to spring training for another 2 weeks, however, I'm already starting to get excited about the upcoming season.

I thought I could start this thread off with an absolute doozy of a post too:

To NY Mets: Johan Santana

To Minnesota Twins: OF Carlos Gomez, and three minor league pitchers (Deolis Guerra, Kevin Mulvey and Philip Humber)

This gives the Mets a pretty solid 1-2 punch should Pedro Martinez return to form next season. Notwithstanding the respectable play of Tom Glavine, starting pitching has been a concern over the last while for the Mets, and considering their solid offence and brilliant defence, was shaping up to be their Achilles heel prior to this trade (not to mention that I have never been entirely certain about Minaya's ability to assess pitching, exhibit A = Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano). Since I consider the Mets one of the teams I cheer for (right behind the Mariners, and maybe the Jays), this is good news and might finally put to rest some of the bitterness of last year's collapse.

i work for the mets (not at shea stadium, but in the executive offices nearby) and i'm completely stunned that no one has been doing cartwheels around here over this acquisition. it's certainly what they needed, and as one radio commentator said this morning, it's big enough to clear out the stench in the locker rooms of what happened last season.

that being said, i always have been and always will be a die-hard yankee fan and i'm somewhat curious to see how they fare in the post-torre era. in a way i think it's good. because of torre's successes in the late 90s, there were always expectations attached to every new season. now, it's a clean slate.

and let's hope the new generation of steinbrenners aren't the absolute nutjobs that george was while in charge.

Edited by nycvanfan, 30 January 2008 - 02:24 PM.

OBAMA: THE AUDACITY OF HYPE

#5 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,457 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:17 PM

I predict another season of futility :(

Posted Image
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#6 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,018 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:22 PM

Good call on the thread.

- Still wondering if the M's are getting Bedard or not. A few days ago it was a done deal, now... who knows? I would love to see the one-two punch of Felix and Bedard. Would make the season a little more interesting.

- The Mets get Santana. THANK GOD! No more AL for Johan!!

- I'm much more excited this year for my NL team, the Dodgers. Joe Torre on the west coast sounds great. Add in Andruw Jones and Hiroki Kuroda, looks pretty good to me.

- Die Yankees and Red Sox.

Kershaw_zps0cb5a848.jpg

#7 HSD19

HSD19

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,583 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:44 PM

Go Jays

#8 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,189 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:45 PM

I'll be watching late October.

cya then.

#9 gushockey26

gushockey26

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:50 PM

Go Red sox
Moose Country is where i am from

#10 Zeba77

Zeba77

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:06 PM

nvm

Edited by Zeba77, 14 June 2008 - 04:05 PM.

#11 Lewah

Lewah

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:09 PM

God Dammit!!! Not baseball again. I can't believe I'm gonna have to spend the 8 months stuck watching baseball highlights on Sports Centre just so I can get to the real sports.
muskit blau

#12 Hordichuk

Hordichuk

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,817 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:13 PM

There's the obligatory 'baseball sucks' post that usually comes on at least one page of every baseball thread.

I don't think that Bedard will be coming to Seattle. It seems somebody jumped the gun on that one. Bedard seemed pretty adamant against it. Too bad they couldn't land Santana.
Posted Image
Canada trying to hang on, they're going to get a break! It's going to be a break!
It is Joe Sakic... SCORES! ...JOE ...SAKIC ...SCORES and that makes it 5-2 Canada...
Surely... that's gotta be it!

#13 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:18 PM

God Dammit!!! Not baseball again. I can't believe I'm gonna have to spend the 8 months stuck watching baseball highlights on Sports Centre just so I can get to the real sports.

And yet you took the time to post in this thread. I see.
Posted Image

#14 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:28 PM

I don't think that Bedard will be coming to Seattle. It seems somebody jumped the gun on that one. Bedard seemed pretty adamant against it. Too bad they couldn't land Santana.

I think the deal was in place, but Peter Angelos hasn't approved. Bedard has no say in the matter (being that I don't believe his contract provides any kind of no-movement clause) and has been quite open to a trade in the past because of the difficulty he's had in coming to terms with the Orioles. The trade may still happen, but it'll take a fair bit of petitioning from the Orioles GM. That's a job in baseball that I can't imagine wanting or coveting (unless you're the GM of the Pirates I suppose).
Posted Image

#15 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:35 PM

Good call on the thread.

- Still wondering if the M's are getting Bedard or not. A few days ago it was a done deal, now... who knows? I would love to see the one-two punch of Felix and Bedard. Would make the season a little more interesting.

- The Mets get Santana. THANK GOD! No more AL for Johan!!

- I'm much more excited this year for my NL team, the Dodgers. Joe Torre on the west coast sounds great. Add in Andruw Jones and Hiroki Kuroda, looks pretty good to me.

- Die Yankees and Red Sox.

The tie-in between those two statements is what I appreciate the most, ie: no Santana for the Yankees. I'm not certain how badly the Red Sox really wanted him, or if they just wanted to keep him out of the Yankees' hands. The Mets got a good deal out of this one, at least compared to what the Twins were allegedly asking of the Yankees (ie: one of Chamberlain, Hughes and Kennedy, all of whom are MLB ready). Humber is a highly regarded pitcher and would be probably the centrepiece of this deal, but I still don't really see him as being as ready as the Yankees' trio, and he's been in the system for a few years now.
Posted Image

#16 super_ninja

super_ninja

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:41 PM

My prediction for this season: Boredom.
That's right, daddy!

You've got to say, 'I'm a HUMAN BEING, Goddamnit! My life has VALUE!' So I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it, and stick your head out, and yell, 'I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!'

#17 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:47 PM

i work for the mets (not at shea stadium, but in the executive offices nearby) and i'm completely stunned that no one has been doing cartwheels around here over this acquisition. it's certainly what they needed, and as one radio commentator said this morning, it's big enough to clear out the stench in the locker rooms of what happened last season.

that being said, i always have been and always will be a die-hard yankee fan and i'm somewhat curious to see how they fare in the post-torre era. in a way i think it's good. because of torre's successes in the late 90s, there were always expectations attached to every new season. now, it's a clean slate.

and let's hope the new generation of steinbrenners aren't the absolute nutjobs that george was while in charge.

You work for the Mets but you're a Yankees fan...Isn't that illegal ;)

I thought Hank Steinbrenner did a good job with the ARod negotiations. I kind of did my best to ignore all the ARod related news after it got announced during the Red Sox-Rockies game, because I thought it was classless. However, ARod ended up having to fire Scott Boras (who I think is one of the worst things to happen to baseball), and went back after Steinbrenner took the hard-line.

If the Steinbrenners know what's good for them, they'll keep Brian Cashman on a short leash (or better yet fire him altogether).
Posted Image

#18 Zeba77

Zeba77

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:20 PM

My prediction is Boredom untill the season starts

Fixed

#19 Horatio

Horatio

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:23 PM

NOOOOOO!

Why did Santana have to go to the Mets??? Anyone but the Mets!!

:(
Posted Image

#20 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:36 PM

Someone will manage to overdose on steroids.
United States will unite for a few days and there'll be a lot of god bless america playing.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#21 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:45 PM

NOOOOOO!

Why did Santana have to go to the Mets??? Anyone but the Mets!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Phillies and Braves, you're going down!
Posted Image

#22 Horatio

Horatio

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:43 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Phillies and Braves, you're going down!

But the Braves have Glavine! :unsure:

and Hampton! :mellow:

Posted Image

#23 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:54 PM

But the Braves have Glavine! :unsure:

and Hampton! :mellow:

Maybe they can get Russ Ortiz back too.

Actually I think with Smoltz, Hudson and Chuck James, along with Glavine, the Braves might put a respectable rotation together this year. I'd be more concerned about their offence. As much as Andruw Jones played like garbage last year, they still haven't replaced him. Mark Teixeira re-signing was a solid move, but I still seem them scoring less this year.
Posted Image

#24 BrianBunka

BrianBunka

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:58 PM

go seattle please dont suck this year lol
Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,018 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 06:04 AM

Maybe they can get Russ Ortiz back too.

I was gonna say bring back Steve Avery too. I mean, they have Glavine and Smoltz right?

Anyways, the latest on Bedard.....
http://mlb.mlb.com/n...0...7&fext=.jsp

And to the morons who come in here with the "baseball's boring; baseball sucks; I touch myself, yadda yadda".....

You don't have to click on this thread. Nobody cares. F off.

Kershaw_zps0cb5a848.jpg

#26 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:24 AM

I was gonna say bring back Steve Avery too. I mean, they have Glavine and Smoltz right?

Anyways, the latest on Bedard.....
http://mlb.mlb.com/n...0...7&fext=.jsp

And to the morons who come in here with the "baseball's boring; baseball sucks; I touch myself, yadda yadda".....

You don't have to click on this thread. Nobody cares. F off.

I remember Steve Avery pretty well actually, from the World Series of 1992. He was still there when the team got Greg Maddux too I think, maybe a year or two after the World Series run. That was quite a rotation those Braves had. I still remember that Series like it was yesterday.

I'm going to be pretty bummed if the Orioles do end up signing Bedard. He's quite a pitcher, and of course Canadian to boot. I actually got to see him pitch live once (lost to Roy Halladay at Skydome), but it'd great to get to drive down to Seattle and watch him pitch for our side. One of the more frustrating things about driving down to see the Mariners is finding out that you're seeing one of their collection of mediocre pitchers. In the last couple of years, I've had the privilege of watching Joel Pineiro, Cha Seung Baek, Ryan Franklin, Jarrod Washburn, Horacio Ramirez and others I can't remember. I've also gotten to see Moyer, Felix, Gil Meche (not sure which category he'd fit into) and a couple of other guys no longer with the team that were decent (I remember liking Freddy Garcia for a while). Finally they've brought the offence back to near respectability (just have to do something with Richie K Sexson). Come on Bavasi, you're close!
Posted Image

#27 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:16 PM

http://sports.yahoo....i...p&type=lgns

Gonzo's going to the Marlins, 1 year for 2 million dollars.

While this is not going to be nearly enough to keep the Marlins out of the NL East basement (depending on the Nationals), it should add some pop to a depleted lineup, and for a bargain price. Luis Gonzalez hasn't shown many signs of slowing down, is a good character/leadership type guy, and could be a very decent everyday player. Still, it'll take more than signing a 40 year old outfielder to take the sting out of the Cabrera/Willis trades for Marlins fans who are convinced their team doesn't care about winning.
Posted Image

#28 thedestroyerofworlds

thedestroyerofworlds

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:21 PM

http://sports.yahoo....i...p&type=lgns

Gonzo's going to the Marlins, 1 year for 2 million dollars.

While this is not going to be nearly enough to keep the Marlins out of the NL East basement (depending on the Nationals), it should add some pop to a depleted lineup, and for a bargain price. Luis Gonzalez hasn't shown many signs of slowing down, is a good character/leadership type guy, and could be a very decent everyday player. Still, it'll take more than signing a 40 year old outfielder to take the sting out of the Cabrera/Willis trades for Marlins fans who are convinced their team doesn't care about winning.

But they do have the world series victories, which is more than you can say about A LOT of teams in the MLB. It's sad that their fans have to go through winning, then absolutely sucking because they blew up the team. There is no middle ground.

#29 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:27 PM

But they do have the world series victories, which is more than you can say about A LOT of teams in the MLB. It's sad that their fans have to go through winning, then absolutely sucking because they blew up the team. There is no middle ground.

I can't imagine anything more frustrating than exulting in victory, only to have to suffer through years of penny-pinching, not to mention political pandering and threats to move over the stadium situation. Dolphins Stadium is a crummy venue for baseball to be sure, but to put the fans in the middle of it is pretty sleazy.

Mind you, the Mariners make me suffer with incompetent management and teams full of underachievers, and I've never been rewarded with a World Series title from them. I grew up a Jays fan, and of course they've had some incredible moments, but I've lost a bit of affection for them, in no small part due to my loathing of JP Ricciardi.
Posted Image

#30 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,018 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:25 PM

Mind you, the Mariners make me suffer with incompetent management and teams full of underachievers, and I've never been rewarded with a World Series title from them. I grew up a Jays fan, and of course they've had some incredible moments, but I've lost a bit of affection for them, in no small part due to my loathing of JP Ricciardi.

You're telling me!!

'95... nope. '97... nope. 2001????????? My god, how did they lose??? Well, I know how they lost, just hurts.

IMO, it all went downhill from the ending of the Kingdome. Players wanted out because they couldn't hit the long ball as easy as the they could in the Dome. The team had to transform from a heavy-hitting powerhouse to a small-ball club. Which makes me wonder why high profile pitchers don't wanna sign here.... weird.

Maybe the weather in the NW has an affect on their decisions???

Kershaw_zps0cb5a848.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.