The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The MLB thread

Gretzky's Mullet

The Mariners as they look at present should have a decent young team in about 2 years. This would be an extreme case, but if you figure without any free agents their prospects and young players would give a lineup of:

LF Trayvon Robinson

2B Dustin Ackley

DH Jesus Montero

1B Justin Smoak

3B Kyle Seager

SS Nick Franklin

C Adam Moore

CF Michael Saunders

RF Denny Almonte/Phillips Castillo

SP Felix

SP Blake Beaven

SP Hector Noesi

SP Danny Hultzen

SP Taijuan Walker

There's a fair bit of potential there, especially in the rotation, where the Mariners have a number of very solid prospects in the system right now. They've got a few guys at the 3B spot, but it's presently Seager's to lose, however, while his numbers are ok right now they will have to improve if he wants to be a major league starter at a position where the team needs offence. I'm a little uncertain about how the team's going to play the catcher and outfield positions too. Adam Moore was well thought of a few years ago but has had a few cracks at the majors. The team might try to get Jesus Montero to learn how to catch properly, or they might just give up on that and decide he's a bat only. And while they have a whole bunch of outfielders between the majors and the higher minors, I'm not sure there are any sure things at any level. Michael Saunders has picked it up lately and the team certainly has shown enough patience to indicate they believe in the kid, and Trayvon Robinson is a little raw but has the tools. Once Ichiro retires and Figgins' and Gutierrez's contracts are up, the team might be looking for outfield help via free agency. The infield looks good though, as the team will certainly wait for Smoak to achieve his potential, Ackley obviously a good player and a bluechip shortstop in the minors in Franklin (and as soon as they can get Ryan's useless bat out of the lineup everyday, the better).

Yes

Dustin Ackley is something Mariners fans will get to be excited for years to come

Ichiro is getting old, last year he didn't hit 200 hits for the first time in his career

Smoak has potential to be a power slugger in the four hole, Ackley can fill the leadoff spot when Ichiro retires

Montero will hopefully pick it up behind the plate, otherwise he would be great in the DH spot.

Personally, Felix and Ichiro have been the only good spots on the M's in the past five years. Ichiro is getting old now so their isn't much he can do if he is traded to a contender now, but personally I hope Felix asks for a trade somewhere else, I can't bear watching him pitch phenomenal anymore and lose because of his lack of run support, Felix is a great young pitcher and deserves better than the M's. We should probably trade Felix for some young prospects that will help out our team in the future (young outfielders especially, with Ichiro and Gutierrez possibly gone) Maybe we can fetch someone like Bryce Harper for example.

Felix is still a great young pitcher. The guy's only 26, a lot of players don't even crack the majors until his age. The idea of trading away stars to acquire young talent to build with has to be offset by the idea that you need to have some star players to build around. Felix will be a free agent after the 2014 season, and it's hard to know at this point what the team has planned with regards to him moving forward. He also does have no trade protection in his contract.

I was watching a show about MLB the other day, (can't remember the name, but it has Chris Rose and Darren Millar as hosts) They did this feature called "true or false" about Joey Votto. All of the facts turned out to be true, but there were two that just blew me away:

- In his entire big league career, Votto has pulled the ball foul into the seats a grand total of one time. Amazing for a left-handed power hitter, IMO.

- Votto is batting .300....

......when he has two strikes on him.

Archived