The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The MLB thread

Gretzky's Mullet

Halladay, Buehrle, Randy Johnson...come on, it's both. But how is Cain "not a star pitcher"? He's 2nd in the NL in ERA and strikeouts, and first in WHIP, and is now 8-2 on the season. The Giants gave him a 6 year 127 million dollar extension before this season. He's the ace of the staff, and that staff is one of the best in the entire league. He totally fits the description of "star pitcher". Braden, Humber and Gallaraga are interesting cases, I agree, in that their perfect games were against the norm for their career as a whole.

That was the most fun I've ever had at a baseball game last night. We had a pretty good spot (2nd row of upper deck, infield), which is one of the best viewing angles to watch pitching. The Giants went up big early on (I couldn't believe they left Happ in as long as they did) with an uncharacteristic display of power, so it was clear early on that pitching was going to be the thing to really watch. I insisted that we go for beer or piss breaks only during the bottoms of the innings (though I was unfortunately paying for a beer when Blanco hit the homer that bounced into the cove). But I don't think I've ever cheered more loudly in my life than I did for that Blanco catch in right center-field. The minute that left the bat, I said, out loud "well that's the end of that", and then it was like in slow motion that he actually tracked the thing down. Unbelievable. And just one inning before, we'd had a huge cheer for Cabrera's catch up against the wall too, and everyone around me was groaning thinking it was going to be a home run. Then this old bat next to me start saying the word "perfect" and I was wincing because of the jinx factor. Even on that last play, I could see that Arias stumbled a little bit when fielding the ball and wasn't really that set to throw it, so I was still on pins and needles until Belt caught it. I've seen some pretty cool stuff live at a baseball game (eg: I was there when Bengie Molina hit for the cycle in Boston, and I saw Ichiro's 262nd hit in 2004), but this is hands down the new #1.

Halladay, Buehrle, Randy Johnson...come on, it's both. But how is Cain "not a star pitcher"? He's 2nd in the NL in ERA and strikeouts, and first in WHIP, and is now 8-2 on the season. The Giants gave him a 6 year 127 million dollar extension before this season. He's the ace of the staff, and that staff is one of the best in the entire league. He totally fits the description of "star pitcher". Braden, Humber and Gallaraga are interesting cases, I agree, in that their perfect games were against the norm for their career as a whole.

That was the most fun I've ever had at a baseball game last night. We had a pretty good spot (2nd row of upper deck, infield), which is one of the best viewing angles to watch pitching. The Giants went up big early on (I couldn't believe they left Happ in as long as they did) with an uncharacteristic display of power, so it was clear early on that pitching was going to be the thing to really watch. I insisted that we go for beer or piss breaks only during the bottoms of the innings (though I was unfortunately paying for a beer when Blanco hit the homer that bounced into the cove). But I don't think I've ever cheered more loudly in my life than I did for that Blanco catch in right center-field. The minute that left the bat, I said, out loud "well that's the end of that", and then it was like in slow motion that he actually tracked the thing down. Unbelievable. And just one inning before, we'd had a huge cheer for Cabrera's catch up against the wall too, and everyone around me was groaning thinking it was going to be a home run. Then this old bat next to me start saying the word "perfect" and I was wincing because of the jinx factor. Even on that last play, I could see that Arias stumbled a little bit when fielding the ball and wasn't really that set to throw it, so I was still on pins and needles until Belt caught it. I've seen some pretty cool stuff live at a baseball game (eg: I was there when Bengie Molina hit for the cycle in Boston, and I saw Ichiro's 262nd hit in 2004), but this is hands down the new #1.

Well I do go to a lot of baseball games. By my count, this season I've seen 9 MLB games already: 7 Giants games (vs San Diego, Philadelphia, Miami, Colorado, Oakland, Texas and Houston), 1 A's game vs Seattle, and 1 Mariners game vs Texas (Felix vs Darvish). So chances are good when you go that much that you'll see some cool stuff. Stubhub is seriously the greatest invention for me. I hate ticketmaster, both for all the fees and for the fact that you can't really pick your seats. And ebay/craigslist are a little bit sketchy and always make me a little nervous. But stubhub lets you get good prices, even with the minimum $10 markup ($5 download fee and 10% service fee down to a minimum $5), you pick your own seats, and you know it's totally secure. If you can get there on a weekday, which is easy for me because I live really close to AT&T Park, you don't have to buy your tickets until close to game time, when the prices come down for people trying to unload.

But yeah, I've gotten to see some really cool stuff just by a combination of luck/going quite a bit. I saw the only two homers Ken Griffey Jr ever hit in Seattle as a visiting player (2 solos in the same game as a Cincinnati Red), that was pretty cool. And the Ichiro 262 wasn't entirely luck, because you figure if you go to the last game of the season and he gets even one hit, you'll have seen the record being set (he actually got 2 in that game, which was also Edgar Martinez's last major league game). But I'll tell you probably the ultimate baseball odd occurrence, that only a gigantic baseball nerd like myself would ever pick up on and that I couldn't even find on google, but was it was in an interleague game in San Diego, playing Oakland in June of 2009. It was an unremarkable game for the most part, and the Padres lost. However, the interesting part was that the A's starting pitcher got hurt early in the game and had to be pulled for a reliever. Edgar Gonzalez came in to relieve him and pitched a good chunk of the game. But the craziest thing that happened was that he actually got two base hits in the game. I remember hearing on the radio, just mentioned in passing, that it was the first time since the advent of the designated hitter that an American League reliever had ever gotten two hits in the same game. How's that for a rarity only a total dork could appreciate? But naturally, a perfect game tops any of that kind of obscure stuff. Getting to see one is easily the highlight of my baseball watching life, and the thrill of it still hasn't completely worn off (nor has the hangover, actually).

I've got a few more things to see before I stop having to go: triple play (preferably unassisted), 4 home run game and maybe a playoff game. I've also got a few teams that I've never seen live (St Louis, Mets, Pirates and White Sox). Afterwards, I'll have to try and see a game in every ballpark (so far, been to Safeco, Skydome, Fenway, Wrigley, Petco, AT&T and Oakland).

Grats Matt Cain!!! Been a huge Giants fan since playing Tony LaRussa baseball on computer way back in 93/94ish. Can't say I follow baseball religously but I have been gaing alot more interest in the last few years. Got to admit video/cpu baseball games are really what sparks my interest in this sport. Unless its a dynamite pitcher with some heat its hard for me to watch a entire game w/o switching the channel. I am lucky to see the Giants 5 times up here and even if its on chances are I wont know about it. Thats why it was pretty sweet when they finally won once 2 years ago, I got a taste of what its like to be a fan of a championship team for once...

Well I do go to a lot of baseball games. By my count, this season I've seen 9 MLB games already: 7 Giants games (vs San Diego, Philadelphia, Miami, Colorado, Oakland, Texas and Houston), 1 A's game vs Seattle, and 1 Mariners game vs Texas (Felix vs Darvish). So chances are good when you go that much that you'll see some cool stuff. Stubhub is seriously the greatest invention for me. I hate ticketmaster, both for all the fees and for the fact that you can't really pick your seats. And ebay/craigslist are a little bit sketchy and always make me a little nervous. But stubhub lets you get good prices, even with the minimum $10 markup ($5 download fee and 10% service fee down to a minimum $5), you pick your own seats, and you know it's totally secure. If you can get there on a weekday, which is easy for me because I live really close to AT&T Park, you don't have to buy your tickets until close to game time, when the prices come down for people trying to unload.

But yeah, I've gotten to see some really cool stuff just by a combination of luck/going quite a bit. I saw the only two homers Ken Griffey Jr ever hit in Seattle as a visiting player (2 solos in the same game as a Cincinnati Red), that was pretty cool. And the Ichiro 262 wasn't entirely luck, because you figure if you go to the last game of the season and he gets even one hit, you'll have seen the record being set (he actually got 2 in that game, which was also Edgar Martinez's last major league game). But I'll tell you probably the ultimate baseball odd occurrence, that only a gigantic baseball nerd like myself would ever pick up on and that I couldn't even find on google, but was it was in an interleague game in San Diego, playing Oakland in June of 2009. It was an unremarkable game for the most part, and the Padres lost. However, the interesting part was that the A's starting pitcher got hurt early in the game and had to be pulled for a reliever. Edgar Gonzalez came in to relieve him and pitched a good chunk of the game. But the craziest thing that happened was that he actually got two base hits in the game. I remember hearing on the radio, just mentioned in passing, that it was the first time since the advent of the designated hitter that an American League reliever had ever gotten two hits in the same game. How's that for a rarity only a total dork could appreciate? But naturally, a perfect game tops any of that kind of obscure stuff. Getting to see one is easily the highlight of my baseball watching life, and the thrill of it still hasn't completely worn off (nor has the hangover, actually).

I've got a few more things to see before I stop having to go: triple play (preferably unassisted), 4 home run game and maybe a playoff game. I've also got a few teams that I've never seen live (St Louis, Mets, Pirates and White Sox). Afterwards, I'll have to try and see a game in every ballpark (so far, been to Safeco, Skydome, Fenway, Wrigley, Petco, AT&T and Oakland).

i agree i like stubhub better when it comes down to buying baseball tickets i use tmaster for hockey but stubhub for baseball

ebay and craigslist are never reliable

and ur lucky ive been to just two mlb games in my life (bos @ sea) and (col @ sf). living in van doesnt help my case. funny how both times the home team one 2-1

Archived