The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The MLB thread

Gretzky's Mullet

I am a baseball fan but I don't know everything about it.

But doesn't it seem that the blue jays got ripped off in the two trades they made.

Snider has been great since he got called up. Brad Lincoln seems good but we need starting pitchers

I would like an opinion on this from a baseball expert

Gretzky'a mullett,what do you think about those trades?

I don't know much about most of the players in the MLB because there is too many, but I enjoy seeing the reactions and opinions of Jays fans on their forum. Looks like, they didn't really care for Thames. One more day? Big trade coming tomorrow? maybe?

I actually think Brad Lincoln is a very promising pitcher who should be in the Blue Jays rotation next year, which was undeniably an area of need this season even before 60% of it got hurt. The Jays had been very patient with Snider, who I've always felt was an MLB calibre player, but decided they had to deal from a position of depth to fill a need. So while I always wanted to see Snider do well for Toronto, I don't mind this trade. I think this probably indicates that the Jays (accurately) saw their outfield as being very crowded while their pitching ranks were very thin. I'm not so sure about the Thames deal though, seems to me the team kind of sold low on him, but he was having a really lousy season and seemed to me to have no plate discipline at all, so it's possible that the few flashes of strong play Jays fans have seen from him are blinding them to some major holes in his game and they tend to overvalue him; he's also a below average defensive player. The team probably thinks Anthony Gose will be in the majors full time next year (and he's definitely a higher ceiling guy than Thames), and is most likely to try to extend Rasmus at a reasonable rate for next year too, so I guess these guys were seen as being expendable. Now with Romero, Morrow, Drabek, Happ, Alvarez, Lincoln, Cecil and Hutchison (plus anyone currently in the minors who takes a major step in spring training), the Jays seem like they'll have enough useful guys to try and carve out a decent rotation. A few reclamation projects in that mix for sure, like Happ and really also Lincoln, who probably was not projected as a middle reliever when he was chosen in the first round, but I think it's clear that if nothing else, AA has recognized where the problem areas are and is willing to make difficult decisions to fix them.

EDIT: Then again Brad Lincoln could be just another Bryan Bullington.

Hunter Pence is now a Giant! Basically this move serves notice that the Giants aren't going to let the Dodgers try to bolster their way past them, especially after LA nabbed the other available Philly outfielder, Shane Victorino. I have tickets for the matinee vs the Mets on Thursday, so hopefully Pence is playing that day and we get to have a look at him.

I'm a little biased, but I think on balance the Giants did better than the Dodgers on this one. The Giants strongly needed more hitting from their corner outfielders than they were getting from Blanco or Schierholtz (Melky is, of course, a beast). It also probably allows Pagan to move back up to the leadoff spot. Conversely, the Dodgers probably had a greater need of a middle of the rotation starter than yet another outfielder, depending on Ted Lilly's status, and haven't gotten one. The Hanley Ramirez trade is a high risk, high reward move for sure, but I think the Giants did well to get Hunter, and despite having dropped a sweep last weekend (believe me, the mood in SF was sombre) are still probably the best team in the NL West.

Hunter Pence is now a Giant! Basically this move serves notice that the Giants aren't going to let the Dodgers try to bolster their way past them, especially after LA nabbed the other available Philly outfielder, Shane Victorino. I have tickets for the matinee vs the Mets on Thursday, so hopefully Pence is playing that day and we get to have a look at him.

I'm a little biased, but I think on balance the Giants did better than the Dodgers on this one. The Giants strongly needed more hitting from their corner outfielders than they were getting from Blanco or Schierholtz (Melky is, of course, a beast). It also probably allows Pagan to move back up to the leadoff spot. Conversely, the Dodgers probably had a greater need of a middle of the rotation starter than yet another outfielder, depending on Ted Lilly's status, and haven't gotten one. The Hanley Ramirez trade is a high risk, high reward move for sure, but I think the Giants did well to get Hunter, and despite having dropped a sweep last weekend (believe me, the mood in SF was sombre) are still probably the best team in the NL West.

Also what happened to the Phillies? Cliff Lee is struggling, Halladay's 4-6 and now they're 12 games below .500 and they need to move roster pieces. Never thought they would be the ones trading away stars to the Giants, who only couple years ago were floundering.

Also, Dempster to the already STACKED Texas Rangers! If they don't win this year I can't imagine what other moves they could do to finally get it done after 2 years of disappointment.

Also what happened to the Phillies? Cliff Lee is struggling, Halladay's 4-6 and now they're 12 games below .500 and they need to move roster pieces. Never thought they would be the ones trading away stars to the Giants, who only couple years ago were floundering.

Also, Dempster to the already STACKED Texas Rangers! If they don't win this year I can't imagine what other moves they could do to finally get it done after 2 years of disappointment.

Holy Bajeezus did anyone else realize that Jered Weaver is 14-1? The guy should be a heavy frontrunner for the Cy Young. Considering that I think Trout should win the ROY and MVP awards, that would make an Angels sweep for the year.

In the NL, I think it's less cut and dried: Dickey would've been the strongest candidate but has taken a serious dip since the All Star Break. Matt Cain will get a lot of looks too and his NL leading WHIP, and strong K and ERA numbers will help, not to mention his perfecto. Johnny Cueto might also swoop in as a bit of a darkhorse too, and Strasburg would be in the conversation were he being allowed to pitch a full season. Atlanta's Craig Kimbrel has absolutely sparkled in the closer role, but this is probably a year where the strong starters performances preclude a closer from winning the Cy. I think Andrew McCutchen should be the NL MVP, and Wade Miley should win ROY, not Harper.

So in my other fantasy league we have decided to do a weighted keeper system, meaning the worse your record, the more keepers you get. Since my team is absolutely horrible with a record of 59-91 i get to keep 5 players(3 batters, 2 pitchers)

I for sure am keeping Kemp and McCutchen for batters. Then I will probably keep Haren, even though he has struggled a bit this year, but he is still pretty young. Also acquired James McDonald in a trade in hopes to possibly keep him. My other options are Lee, Kennedy, Burnett, Dickey.

So for my 3rd batter I was wondering who you guys think will have the brightest future.

-Will Middlebrooks

-Starling Marte

-Yoenis Cespedes

-Desmond Jennings

-Jesus Montero

Keep in mind that I don't need the guy who will be the best next season, but more 3-4 years down the road, if this pool does infact last that long.

Archived