The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The MLB thread

Gretzky's Mullet

Ah i hope to god the Mariners can get it done this year. I hate my bandwagon jumping friend's love for the Red Sox, and would love to see us knock them out. Pitching is obviously key, as our offense has consistently been great. A Bedard-Hernandez one-two punch will hopefully do some damage though.

Oh I have no doubt they'll get the respect back, but I think they did that last year.

I just can't see them overtaking the Angels or even having a better record than the likes of New York or Detroit for a possible Wild Card (throw Boston and Cleveland in there too). I hope I'm wrong, but it just doesn't feel right yet.

Oh I have no doubt they'll get the respect back, but I think they did that last year.

I just can't see them overtaking the Angels or even having a better record than the likes of New York or Detroit for a possible Wild Card (throw Boston and Cleveland in there too). I hope I'm wrong, but it just doesn't feel right yet.

Carlos Beltran, of all people, speaks out about the Mets chances, with a message to Jimmy Rollins: the Mets are the team to beat!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/base...m.ap/index.html

Carlos Beltran is my favourite major league baseball player. However, I did not expect this from him. He's normally the stoic type, with 5 tool skills but without a big mouth or ego. However, this shows that last season's debacle bothered him just as much as anybody else. Hopefully it also means he'll play with some extra fire, and that he'll be sufficiently recovered from off-season surgery to not have it impact his game. Beltran's been a great addition to the Mets (I was a fan of his before he joined them though). However, until they can take that next step, everyone will remember him striking out looking on that knee-buckler to end the NLCS a couple of years ago (I know I sure took a lot of ribbing from one of my buddies, who's a big Cardinal fan).

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AkDI...p&type=lgns

Marlins finalizing $515 million proposal for new ballpark at Orange Bowl site

February 17, 2008

MIAMI (AP) -- The Florida Marlins and two local governments have ironed out the financial details of a $515 million proposal that would give the team a new 37,000-seat ballpark on the site of the Orange Bowl.

The newest version of the stadium proposal requires that Miami-Dade County contribute $347 million in funding, including $297 million in tourist tax dollars, according to a memorandum from county manager George Burgess that was sent to county commissioners.

Marlins spokesman P.J. Loyello declined to discuss the issue, adding: "After a vote, we will comment."

The 94-page document states that the city of Miami would be required to pay $13 million, which does not include an additional $10 million for the Orange Bowl's demolition.

The Marlins would contribute $155 million for the stadium, which is projected to open in 2011.

City commissioners were scheduled to consider the proposal Thursday morning. County commissioners were expected to discuss the plan later Thursday. Both bodies must vote on the deal for its funding to be approved.

"We have reached agreement among all the parties and have a baseball stadium agreement we're all comfortable with that we're distributing and briefing commissioners on over the weekend and early next week in advance of a special meeting," Burgess said.

The Marlins -- who have said they cannot survive in South Florida without a new ballpark -- have played in Dolphin Stadium since the team was founded in 1993. They have been pushing for a new stadium for years.

In May, the Florida Legislature failed to approve a $60 million subsidy to help build a $490 million, retractable-roof stadium for the team.

The Orange Bowl was left without a primary tenant last year, when the University of Miami announced its football team would leave the historic stadium.

Archived