Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 15 votes

The MLB thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6501 replies to this topic

#6391 gragnanifan1

gragnanifan1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

the last series in ny the jays had no offense, sloppy defense and to top it off injured 2 of their best offensive players
maybe next year guyz :(
Posted Image
credit goes to allons-y
Posted Image NHL 13 GM Connected -GM of the Hurricanes http://forum.canucks...ed-league-xbox/

#6392 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,929 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:10 AM

Was so ecstatic to see Cody's Ross-off 3-run bomb over the Green Monster! I thought Quintana had them done but well done Cody! :frantic:

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#6393 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

http://m.thestar.com...p-travis-snider

The Toronto Blue Jays have traded pitcher Francisco Cordero, outfielder Ben Francisco to the Houston Astros in a 10-player trade, the club announced Friday.
Left-handed pitcher J.A. Happ, right-handed pitchers Brandon Lyon and David Carpenter are headed to Toronto.

The Jays have also recalled outfielder Travis Snider from the minor leagues and he will dress for Friday nightís game against Boston.

Along with Cordero and Francisco, a package of four minor-leaguers and a player to be named are going the other way to Houston. The minor leaguers are: right-handed pitchers Asher Wojciechowski and Joe Musgrove, left-handed pitcher David Rollins, catcher Carlos Perez and a player to be named.

To make room on the 40-man roster, right-handed pitcher Robert Coello has been transferred to the 60-day disabled list.

The Jays have been in desperate need of pitching since three starters were lost to long-term injuries over the course of just four days in June.

Happ, a 29-year-old starter in his sixth major-league season, is the key piece of the deal for the Jays. The 6-foot-6 southpaw has a 7-9 record with a 4.83 ERA in 18 games this year, while accumulating 12 quality starts (at least six innings with three or fewer runs).

Both Perez and Wojciechowski are considered to be among the Jaysí top-10 prospects, but with the organizationís prospective depth at the catcher and pitcher positions, they became expendable.
The trading of extra outfielder Ben Francisco creates roster space for Snider, who could see starts in left field ahead of Rajai Davis. With Jose Bautista still nursing a wrist injury, the Jays outfield for the time being could have an average age of around 23, with 24-year-old Snider, 25-year-old Colby Rasmus and 21-year-old Anthony Gose.

Lyon, a 32-year-old right-hander, will help bolster the Jays injury-depleted and under-performing bullpen, which has been half-filled by minor-league replacements of late. Lyon, who was drafted by the Jays and made his major-league debut in Toronto in 2001, has posted a 3.75 ERA in 37 appearances this year.

...its a move that had to be made to address a need, but I think the Jays lost this trade easy. Watch Cordero get his touch and start ripping it up, plus they traded Perez...don't like the deal.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#6394 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

I think it's too bad to trade Perez but he's very far down the catching depth chart, and there was little chance of him ever leapfrogging D'Arnaud, who could easily supplant Arencibia before too long. Happ hasn't been particularly sharp this year (I saw him live as the losing pitcher in Cain's perfect game, and he was terrible in that game), but he's been on the Jays' radar for a while, I believe he was one of the originally targeted players in the Halladay trade. I'm not sure what Houston's interest in Cordero is, being that they've got no chance at the playoffs this year and a free agent-to-be reliever has little value moving forward. More likely they were after the prospects and the Blue Jays had some they deemed expendable to acquire a pitcher.

If Happ can recapture the form from 2009 and 2010 that made him so sought after (eventually was part of the Oswalt trade I think), the Jays probably win this trade. If he's just the Happ that the Astros have seen, then I'd rather have the prospects.
Posted Image

LUC BOURDON: FEB 16TH, 1987 - MAY 29TH, 2008

#6395 gragnanifan1

gragnanifan1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:10 AM

I think it's too bad to trade Perez but he's very far down the catching depth chart, and there was little chance of him ever leapfrogging D'Arnaud, who could easily supplant Arencibia before too long. Happ hasn't been particularly sharp this year (I saw him live as the losing pitcher in Cain's perfect game, and he was terrible in that game), but he's been on the Jays' radar for a while, I believe he was one of the originally targeted players in the Halladay trade. I'm not sure what Houston's interest in Cordero is, being that they've got no chance at the playoffs this year and a free agent-to-be reliever has little value moving forward. More likely they were after the prospects and the Blue Jays had some they deemed expendable to acquire a pitcher.

If Happ can recapture the form from 2009 and 2010 that made him so sought after (eventually was part of the Oswalt trade I think), the Jays probably win this trade. If he's just the Happ that the Astros have seen, then I'd rather have the prospects.

i hope so but if he doesnt.......
Posted Image
credit goes to allons-y
Posted Image NHL 13 GM Connected -GM of the Hurricanes http://forum.canucks...ed-league-xbox/

#6396 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

i hope so but if he doesnt.......

Well if he doesn't, the Jays haven't really given up any blue chippers that would make or break the franchise's future. It's hard to say now but it isn't as though they traded Mike Trout or something.
Posted Image

#6397 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

Pretty 'meh' trade. Probably just wanted some major league pitchers so they can leave the guys in AA down there and not screw up their development by rushing them up.

#6398 UMB

UMB

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,457 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

Pretty 'meh' trade. Probably just wanted some major league pitchers so they can leave the guys in AA down there and not screw up their development by rushing them up.

Yo I think I found you on EASHL

fourlogosgift3.gif

Nashville-Predators.gif

STHS + RGMG Nashville Predators GM

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as Nathan MacKinnon

#6399 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

Yo I think I found you on EASHL

Doubt it. I don't even know what that is.

#6400 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

Bold prediction, which you heard here first: the Los Angeles Angels will win the World Series.
Posted Image

#6401 Tony Romo

Tony Romo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,109 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:06 PM

In going to Baltimore from Minnesota,so I will probaly be able to see a oriols rays game.
I hope there's a Washington game when we're there,havnt checked yet

Edited by Tony Romo, 20 July 2012 - 10:07 PM.

2lnqqu.jpg

#6402 UMB

UMB

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,457 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:37 AM

Doubt it. I don't even know what that is.

Lol ok cuz some guy named JustJokinen was playing

fourlogosgift3.gif

Nashville-Predators.gif

#6403 Bill Sikes

Bill Sikes

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,928 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:07 AM

Bold prediction, which you heard here first: the Los Angeles Angels will win the World Series.

Who are these guys and what have they done with the REAL Pittsburgh Pirates? Do you think they can hold on and make the playoffs? I've been waiting for a winning season since 91. Willie Stargell and the "Family" seem like a lifetime ago.

49%20903%20s.jpg

#6404 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

In going to Baltimore from Minnesota,so I will probaly be able to see a oriols rays game.

Quite the little tour you're on Tony. There's a pretty cool little pub near Oriole Park called Pickles Pub, right across from the northwest corner of the stadium, to pre-game (or post-game I suppose). I stayed at the Hampton right next to it, which was actually quite a nice little hotel, and definitely hit Pickles, along with the place next door to it, forget the name, for some cheap drinks. Baltimore is a bit of a dump, but it isn't without its charms (it's actually nicknamed Charm City), and Oriole Park at Camden Yards is certainly one.

I've never been to Nationals Park, but DC isn't really safe so be careful. Aside from the National Mall and monuments and Smithsonians and stuff, I found it to be a bit of a hole too.
Posted Image

#6405 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

Who are these guys and what have they done with the REAL Pittsburgh Pirates? Do you think they can hold on and make the playoffs? I've been waiting for a winning season since 91. Willie Stargell and the "Family" seem like a lifetime ago.

Well they're not really "overachieving" this year so much as they're just actually living up to what the team should be capable of. I think they've got a shot at a wild card, but I definitely think they're going to have a winning season.

Living in the Bay Area, I've also got to profess how impressed I am with the Oakland A's. 10 walkoff wins already this year. I don't think anyone anywhere would've picked that team to be in the playoff hunt in July.
Posted Image

#6406 UMB

UMB

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,457 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

GM should be a baseball analyzer

fourlogosgift3.gif

Nashville-Predators.gif

#6407 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

Well I'm wrong quite a bit. I predicted the Yankees, Tigers and Rangers to win their divisions (which looks very possible right now), and I took the Angels for one wild card and the Red Sox for the other (both also possible, though the Angels look a lot more solid for it than the Sox right now). However, I also thought Minnesota might jump back into contention (clearly overestimated their pitching), I thought the Jays might beat out the Rays and Baltimore, which might have happened without all the injuries, I thought Cleveland was going to suck and the A's too. So can't necessarily brag about all my predictions. I've also been surprised by the suckiness of the Rockies and DBacks and especially the Phillies, and the regression of the Cardinals and Brewers, as well as the strong play of the Pirates, Dodgers and Nationals. I figured the Reds, Braves and Giants to be good but beyond that I've been mostly surprised in the NL.
Posted Image

#6408 Bill Sikes

Bill Sikes

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,928 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

Well I'm wrong quite a bit. I predicted the Yankees, Tigers and Rangers to win their divisions (which looks very possible right now), and I took the Angels for one wild card and the Red Sox for the other (both also possible, though the Angels look a lot more solid for it than the Sox right now). However, I also thought Minnesota might jump back into contention (clearly overestimated their pitching), I thought the Jays might beat out the Rays and Baltimore, which might have happened without all the injuries, I thought Cleveland was going to suck and the A's too. So can't necessarily brag about all my predictions. I've also been surprised by the suckiness of the Rockies and DBacks and especially the Phillies, and the regression of the Cardinals and Brewers, as well as the strong play of the Pirates, Dodgers and Nationals. I figured the Reds, Braves and Giants to be good but beyond that I've been mostly surprised in the NL.

The Pirates did play well last year until the wheels fell off shortly after the All-Star break. I just hope they have key players like McCutchen locked up or else the Yankees and Red Sox will show up with boxcars full of money and take half the team <_<

49%20903%20s.jpg

#6409 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

Rare event in baseball today: Matt Cain and Cole Hamels each hit home runs off of each other in San Francisco's eventual 6-5 victory. That was the first time in 10 years, 11th time since the beginning of the 20th century and only 18th time all-time that has ever happened in a major league baseball game. That's more infrequent than a perfect game.
Posted Image

#6410 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

The Pirates did play well last year until the wheels fell off shortly after the All-Star break. I just hope they have key players like McCutchen locked up or else the Yankees and Red Sox will show up with boxcars full of money and take half the team <_<

Well obviously I'm loving McCutchen's play on account of my fantasy team, even though his current pace is obviously unsustainable. Cutch is signed through 2017 with a club option for 2018, at a bargain value under $10 million/season for the duration. Neal Huntington's looking like a genius for that deal. I actually think he's a pretty good GM who's had to make the best of a difficult situation in Pittsburgh, with owners not willing/able to spend to keep pace with anyone, really. It's a team with a lot of retreads, but definitely some genuine talent, and they've gotten almost impossibly good mileage out of their bullpen. However, I think they're probably an outfield bat and a leadoff hitter shy of a true contender. If I were them I'd be trying to push the Phillies to trade them someone like Victorino or Juan Pierre for the stretch run. Unfortunately, everything I hear out of the Phillies indicates they're delusional enough think they're still in it this year.

Their starting rotation isn't exactly lights out either. Somehow they're getting the job done, but I would have my doubts with that group heading for the post-season.

Edited by Gretzky's Mullet, 21 July 2012 - 04:42 PM.

Posted Image

#6411 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

Pittsburgh will be good once Neil Walker wakes up

Had high hopes for the guy :(

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#6412 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

Pittsburgh will be good once Neil Walker wakes up

Had high hopes for the guy :(

The dude's hitting .300 with OBP and SLG above his career average. I think people were expecting a little more from him this year but it's hard to be too critical. He's been better lately too, raising his OPS 150 points since the beginning of June.
Posted Image

#6413 UMB

UMB

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,457 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

I remember when Texas sucked...... <_<

fourlogosgift3.gif

Nashville-Predators.gif

#6414 PowerIce

PowerIce

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,413 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

We swept the Red Sox, damn did that feel good.

The A's will be a good match-up, 2 hot teams (edge A's). Can't wait for that series.

I remember when Texas sucked...... <_<

You can say the same for Baltimore & the Rays -.-

2013 CDC Poker, it's coming soon to a forum near you!

Posted Image

#6415 Martin Frk

Martin Frk

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

Hopefully the Jays sweep of the Red Sox isnt just a tease like it usually is of how good the team can be.
Posted Image
Cred to Lemons

#6416 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

We swept the Red Sox, damn did that feel good.

The A's will be a good match-up, 2 hot teams (edge A's). Can't wait for that series.

You can say the same for Baltimore & the Rays -.-

Anyone who expected the Athletics to sweep a 4-gamer against the New York Yankees, please raise your hand. The team is currently sitting in playoff position, and apparently can't lose a game in extra innings. If anyone's a baseball fan and in the Bay Area, a Giants game is a great experience, but an Athletics game at O.Co when the team is hot like this is so much fun and totally worth the trip. Sadly, while the Blue Jays are in town next week, I already have Giants tickets the one night I could potentially have made it out to see the A's.
Posted Image

#6417 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

I guess ChiSoxin12 is not loving life right now, that team has really been slumping. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near Hawk Harrelson right about now either.
Posted Image

#6418 Hank Moody

Hank Moody

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

Ichiro traded to Yankees!

Posted Image
Formerly Hockeyfans101/Lapierre's Gawk

Thank you for the badass sig, Insom-

#6419 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

Stupid Yankees. Now I have to see one of my favourite players in those gross pinstripes?? Blasphemy.

#6420 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,056 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

Ichiro traded to Yankees!

Source?
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.